Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2018, 10:25 PM

8 posts, read 7,760 times

Advertisements

Just curious what everyone's opinions are on this situation. I've had a bad cold lately and I called in sick on Monday and Tuesday. On Wednesday morning there was a major ice storm and they sent out a mass email/text at 5 AM saying that the business would be closed that day. Employees who were scheduled to work on days they unexpectedly close are still be paid how many hours they were scheduled to work. However, I was informed today by payroll/HR that essentially because I was sick Monday/Tuesday that I will not be getting paid for Wednesday and I will have to use more of my sick time to make up those hours.

Their reasoning is that because I still do not sound fully recovered (even though I'm back at work, those were the only two days I called in sick) that I clearly would have still been sick on Wednesday and most likely would not have come in anyway. Um, what?? The entire reason I didn't come in is because THEY CLOSED! I didn't even get a chance to come in! I told her I certainly would have come in monday or tuesday had I known I was going to be penalized for using paid sick time on those days. I'm lucky that I do have some paid sick time saved up, but barely enough to cover for it. No, I don't want to work while I'm sick (or get other people sick), but I have to survive on barely above minimum wage. I need to save my sick days for when I'm sick. I don't feel that I should have to use them on days where the business is closed, especially not when others are getting paid for it.

I understand not paying those who are not scheduled (i.e. on vacation or just off that day already), but It seems absolutely ridiculous to me that they decide not to compensate certain employees for their closed scheduled days because they "MAY not have shown up."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 10:34 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,957,215 times
The presumption is, you are out until you report to work. Can you prove you would have reported to work on Wednesday?

Old 02-23-2018, 10:46 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,208,277 times
That's why I only call out sick the morning of , and not a day or few days beforehand.

It sounds like bull**** from HR, if you did not call out sick we'd, then it is assumed you go to work

Old 02-24-2018, 09:23 AM

8 posts, read 7,760 times
I did only call in sick that morning of both Monday and Tuesday. I certainly wouldn't call in sick days or a day ahead of time.

No, I can't prove that I would have reported to work on Wednesday besides my word saying "I'm scheduled, I can't afford to take more time off. I'll be there."

I understand it from a business point of view. They want to find anyway they can to pay as few employees for that day as possible.

Old 02-24-2018, 11:52 AM

30,607 posts, read 18,180,198 times
Sounds like a ****ty response from your company, OP.

Old 02-24-2018, 02:22 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,581,176 times
That’s ridiculous unless they made everyone else use their PTO time to be paid for that day. We would have to but ours is a big bucket of sick, vacation, weather and holiday time.

Old 02-24-2018, 02:32 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,900,636 times
How about having no PTO at all? Not for anything.
Take time all you like for any purpose (with notice etc) just don't expect to be paid for it.
It works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment