Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 04:04 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,137,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Words to live by, not only is HR not your friend, your boss is not your friend either.

Common sense, sure, but we live in different times.
I don't know if that's common sense to many. When I joined the workforce, and to this day, depending on who I talk to, I'm encouraged to go to HR with complaints. I already learned the hard way that that doesn't help matters. But some people swear by it.

Quote:
6. Other job opportunities that present themselves to you.
In the case of every job I've applied for since accepting my current position, someone called my boss to ask about me. Despite the fact that I was still working there. I once had a company for which I'd only done a short phone interview call my boss and lead him to believe that I was going to be offered another position. Which prompted him to call me into his office. And then said company did not offer me the job. So, I don't know if it's better to leave it be, as Forbes recommends, or give the boss a heads up if they're going to get a call regardless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 06:37 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I've always had a it of a problem with the "never talk politics, sex, or religion" as a work rule.

Mainly because I believe people should talk about important current events (and I emphasize talk , not scream, preach or proselytize) as a matter of course. When these things are very much in the news -- a presidential election, let's say, or me too sexual and sexual harassment, or black lives matter, or gun control -- and people do not mention them in such casual office conversation that goes on in any particular workplace, I believe that it sets up a dynamic where people are afraid to talk about anything that might offend someone, even when it's job-related. Pretending that contentious things don't exist outside the workplace means that too often people won't openly acknowledge difficult issues with their job or their company because they have internalized a fear of speaking up about important things.
I agree and had this exact experience in a workplace. I also worked somewhere where I became good friends with someone who is my opposite in almost every way, and we somehow managed to discuss politics without it becoming some huge thing. But I will acknowledge that had this coworker discussed those things with someone else, I'm sure that "someone else" would have complained to a manager. It all depends on the people. I don't see why religion and politics should be completely off limits when those two subjects definitely affect our work lives (Right to Work and Hobby Lobby, anyone?)

Old 02-20-2018, 06:40 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,208,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
I don't know if that's common sense to many. When I joined the workforce, and to this day, depending on who I talk to, I'm encouraged to go to HR with complaints. I already learned the hard way that that doesn't help matters. But some people swear by it.

In the case of every job I've applied for since accepting my current position, someone called my boss to ask about me. Despite the fact that I was still working there. I once had a company for which I'd only done a short phone interview call my boss and lead him to believe that I was going to be offered another position. Which prompted him to call me into his office. And then said company did not offer me the job. So, I don't know if it's better to leave it be, as Forbes recommends, or give the boss a heads up if they're going to get a call regardless.
Never let a prospective employer contact your current manager

Old 02-20-2018, 06:47 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,813,486 times
What if one is being paid to discuss their feelings about the company's direction and/or the competence of the company's leaders????

Old 02-20-2018, 06:48 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,253,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
These are basics, and yes, when I was in my late teens / early 20s, I probably would have not realized that you keep all this type of info away about yourself from your manager at your job.

Only thing I would think to add is:

1. Never discuss politics / sex / or religion at work, particularly with your supervisor(s)/boss(es).
Nailed it. Why some people seem to think these subjects make for good conversations in the workplace is beyond me.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:11 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,032,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Words to live by, not only is HR not your friend, your boss is not your friend either.

Common sense, sure, but we live in different times.

I feel #10 is flexible though, depending on what the gossip is and how you interact with your boss (such as rumors of layoffs, etc.).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lizryan...-about-you/2/#

We are an all male company and colleagues brag about how "bad boys" they can be at times

We discuss sport, religion, politics everything.

Maturity , not rules.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
Never let a prospective employer contact your current manager
But not everyone is comfortable checking off "don't contact current employer" or whatever the wording may be. I think to some prospective employees, it makes it sound like you have something to hide.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:40 AM

334 posts, read 221,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
But not everyone is comfortable checking off "don't contact current employer" or whatever the wording may be. I think to some prospective employees, it makes it sound like you have something to hide.
It's common knowledge that you don't allow a company to call your current job unless a firm offer has been made and you've accepted it. I've heard of new companies calling your old job after you've left, but I don't think that happens very often. Plus, I'm not really sure what they are going to learn from doing that unless they just want to confirm that you really worked there the dates that you said you did.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:42 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,441 times
Just Zola wrote:

Quote:
Similarly when colleagues go out for a company party or a colleague's birthday party, and a few drinks have been drank, inhibitions fall to the way side and personal thoughts come out for all to hear.
^^^^^
This..And the mere fact that it's just colleagues, things have a way of reverting and/or finding themselves back to upper management and HR.

Incidentally, happy hour can be used in a nefarious way to glean and gather various forms of information. I've been to after-work gatherings where otherwise quiet and standoffish people tend to spill a lot when they get enough juice into them.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexy633 View Post
It's common knowledge that you don't allow a company to call your current job unless a firm offer has been made and you've accepted it. I've heard of new companies calling your old job after you've left, but I don't think that happens very often. Plus, I'm not really sure what they are going to learn from doing that unless they just want to confirm that you really worked there the dates that you said you did.
I rarely hear of a company offering someone a job before calling their current employer. They call current bosses around here to ask how the employee performs. Maybe it's because I'm in the crazy Bayou State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment