U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 02:28 PM

1,145 posts, read 415,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl View Post
For crying out loud...ask for the day off before it becomes TOO late to even do that!! Companies MAKE employees feel guilty.They enjoy it.Do you think the CEO's and VP feel guilty about taking a day off or 2?Nope..they just do it.You're no less of a person then they are...Do it.
I second that. Employers don't like their employees taking time off work whether they have earned the time off or not because that affects productivity. Some companies have vacation policies that are "just for show" and for propaganda purposes. In those companies, employees have to be crazy to try to take that time off. I worked in one such company and was crazy enough to try to schedule a week off (earned time). Management kept declining the time off. I fought hard to get the week off and won, but lost some credibility with my management in doing so.

Taking vacations is becoming more and more an "inconvenience to business" and may soon be cut at many companies as just another entitlement to get rid of.

Oh, that's right! The emerging gig economy is doing just that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 02:36 PM

5,476 posts, read 5,015,646 times
Your employer has one main care...their company! They don't care about you, your happiness, your well being.
I get being a good team member and not wanting to let your team down but from what you said you won't. Go request the day off. You have to look out for you first. You can't be a good team member if you aren't taken care of yourself. Not to mention if you don't look out for yourself first you will be used and abused your whole life.

Old 02-20-2018, 03:17 PM

1,596 posts, read 622,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
I havent taken a day off since Thanksgiving. My friends are going away for the weekend in a few weeks and i want to take the friday of this weekend off so i can join. I feel guilty asking for the day off because it is our busy time until we file this report. However my role in this report is a lot smaller than other people and im sure me being out wont jeapordize anything with the deadline.

So why do I feel guilty? Should i feel guilty? I was thinking maybe i feel guilty asking for it off *because* my role is less involved. Like everyone will be working hard on this except me so to take off when everyone else is working seems wrong? Im def involved in the report its just that i know *one* day isnt going to hurt.

So do i ask for the day off ?
I used to be the same way. In fact, my mgt. team would often try to lay even more guilt on a person that wanted to take time off. If you need a day off, by all means take it. I guarantee you the company will not fold. And surprise surprise, the job will still get done.

Old 02-20-2018, 04:03 PM

2,671 posts, read 5,383,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl View Post
For crying out loud...ask for the day off before it becomes TOO late to even do that!! Companies MAKE employees feel guilty.They enjoy it.Do you think the CEO's and VP feel guilty about taking a day off or 2?Nope..they just do it.You're no less of a person then they are...Do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
That's because you do not love yourself. And, you are brainwashed into belief that you "have to give it all" and such other bull. That's what they want you to be, to do, until you become a squeezed lemon and tossed aside.
YOU have to take care of YOURSELF. First and foremost. No one else will, as everyone else has their agenda in mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Your employer has one main care...their company! They don't care about you, your happiness, your well being.
I get being a good team member and not wanting to let your team down but from what you said you won't. Go request the day off. You have to look out for you first. You can't be a good team member if you aren't taken care of yourself. Not to mention if you don't look out for yourself first you will be used and abused your whole life.
All Great Replies. I couldn't have said it better myself. Go enjoy that day off. Or once the project is over, take two days off.

Old 02-20-2018, 04:05 PM

6,083 posts, read 3,158,218 times
Quote:
I havent taken a day off since Thanksgiving. My friends are going away for the weekend in a few weeks and i want to take the friday of this weekend off so i can join. I feel guilty asking for the day off because it is our busy time until we file this report. However my role in this report is a lot smaller than other people and im sure me being out wont jeapordize anything with the deadline.

So why do I feel guilty? Should i feel guilty? I was thinking maybe i feel guilty asking for it off *because* my role is less involved. Like everyone will be working hard on this except me so to take off when everyone else is working seems wrong? Im def involved in the report its just that i know *one* day isnt going to hurt.

Tough call. But job comes first, unless those friends are going to pay for your living expenses while you look for a new job.

Seriously, even though your role is small, your help might be needed. It's not good form to ask for a fun day off, when others on your team are under the burden of concluding a big project. It's also not good to point out that you are unnecessary to the work being done.

If you want to get ahead, make sure you are where the work action is. You must become necessary to work projects. If you aren't, then your job is in jeopardy.

There will be other fun weekends.

OTOH, you could probably get away with it. Esp if this is just a passing job for you and not very important.

Old 02-20-2018, 04:11 PM

2,846 posts, read 1,123,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Tough call. But job comes first, unless those friends are going to pay for your living expenses while you look for a new job.

Seriously, even though your role is small, your help might be needed. It's not good form to ask for a fun day off, when others on your team are under the burden of concluding a big project. It's also not good to point out that you are unnecessary to the work being done.

If you want to get ahead, make sure you are where the work action is. You must become necessary to work projects. If you aren't, then your job is in jeopardy.

There will be other fun weekends.

OTOH, you could probably get away with it. Esp if this is just a passing job for you and not very important.
It is one day, not an entire week. I can see where taking an entire week off during a big project could be a bad idea, but if yo are just missing one day, you can prepare in advance for something tha could happen. Even a person who is necessary to most projects might not be necessary at every stage or at every minute.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:24 PM

655 posts, read 255,672 times
you keep telling yourself that and thats how you end up losing half your vacation days at the end of the year because you didnt take time off.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:21 PM

6,083 posts, read 3,158,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
It is one day, not an entire week. I can see where taking an entire week off during a big project could be a bad idea, but if yo are just missing one day, you can prepare in advance for something tha could happen. Even a person who is necessary to most projects might not be necessary at every stage or at every minute.
Depends on her job. If she's a low level clerk, it's probably fine. She'll have to ask.

But during my work years, when a group was working on a big project, everyone working on it, no matter how small her part, was expected to be there. All hands on deck. The workers helped each other. It depends on the company's attitude and expectations on that project.

Her coworkers may also consider it not cool to take off at that time, because altho she is assigned a small part, she won't be there to help in other ways, if needed. She may find that when she needs help, her coworkers may not help her. The sword cuts both ways.

However, if it's a job to pay the bills for a couple of years, it doesn't matter.

Depends on the OP's goals with the job (career vs short term job), and what her job is.

There's a limit to dedication, though. Funerals, family reunions, a friend's wedding, etc., are usually good reasons to take off at a crucial time.

(Tip: If your company doesn't care whether you're there or not, that's a bad sign.)

Old 02-21-2018, 04:36 AM

10,024 posts, read 2,657,600 times
Quote:

Has your supervisor actually discouraged people from taking days off during this time? Many will, or even outright say that no vacations may be scheduled during a busy season. Other than that, factors that may make a difference are how close the weekend is to the actual project deadline, and whether or not your part in the project is something you can work on far enough ahead that your absence will not slow down the work of the others.

I think I would probably speak honestly with the supervisor, asking if it would create a problem and what you can do to ensure that it does not. If he or she hesitates, it might be best to skip the long weekend, and plan to do something special with your friends at a later date.

However...be warned - at some companies, there is never a "good" time for you to take time off, and management at such places actively, if subtly, encourages employees to feel guilty for using vacation time they have earned. If your workplace is like that, you are going to have to grow a less delicate conscience, unless you want to forget ever using that benefit.

Old 02-21-2018, 04:59 AM

3,217 posts, read 1,709,513 times
Because today, Only the higher ups are allowed leisure time and days off on the golf course and get breaks from work. Or just spend their working hours on the golf course. . The rank file are expected to work like dogs and feel guilty about taking time off. It’s just more poison the corporate goons have perpetuated in the workplace

I have no clue why anyone would even want to join he rat race today. Only the higher ups get all the benefits, perks. Everyone else suffers in most companies especially “at-will” companies. You’re just busting your butt so some goon can live the high life and you aren’t valued
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or