U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 08:06 AM
gg

16,701 posts, read 16,857,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
If you feel guilty, that is a clue you shouldn’t do it.
Wrong. It means the OP cares about their job and isn't a spoiled rotten brat. Seems the OP would be a very good employee and doesn't take their job for granted like SO many people do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 11:20 AM

2,835 posts, read 1,085,615 times
Listen and do not forget what I am about to write. Your employer does not give an F about you! Take your day off! When you get fired/laid off/quit , its a wrap, any relationship you had with the employer is done. Killing yourself, feeling guilty, being the "company man/woman" is all propaganda fed to you, while you were groomed to feel how they want you to feel. Take all your earned time off. Time off refreshes you , to perform your job better, that is your answer to anyone that questions your decision .

Old 02-21-2018, 12:55 PM

1,060 posts, read 967,089 times
I assume you have PTO available? Are these reports monthly? Quarterly? Yearly? Doesn't matter though, take the day off. You earned it and its a company benefit. This isn't a no call/no show scenario. If anyone complains or makes you feel guilty and then turns around and takes days off then they are hypocrites.

Maybe you won't see these friends again for awhile and someday you will wonder 'What if?' when you wonder why you didn't spend time with more friends. Its always going to be busy at work, at least that is what your employer wants everyone to think. And its going to busy next year on Feb. 21, the year after, etc. Might not be able to spend that time with your friends/family like that.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:22 PM
gg

16,701 posts, read 16,857,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
Your employer does not give an F about you! Take your day off! When you get fired/laid off/quit , its a wrap, any relationship you had with the employer is done.
This is a person that is very privileged and you don't want to hire them. Completely opposite of the OP. Please OP, don't take this advice. You can take a day off, but you know you are valued, so you don't push it. I am the same way. I work hard. When times get tough as they will, the owners will keep the good ones and the crappy employees that are spoiled rotten will be let go and they won't know what hit them.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:02 PM

2,835 posts, read 1,085,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
This is a person that is very privileged and you don't want to hire them. Completely opposite of the OP. Please OP, don't take this advice. You can take a day off, but you know you are valued, so you don't push it. I am the same way. I work hard. When times get tough as they will, the owners will keep the good ones and the crappy employees that are spoiled rotten will be let go and they won't know what hit them.
Actually, I am a very good employee, but the truth is, first hired, last fired. Most good employers allegedly value seniority, and have handbooks outlining it. Furthermore, the older you are, the harder it is to get rid of you.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:01 AM

468 posts, read 171,851 times
I used to feel the same way, OP. I used to have a job where so much of what I did was specific to me and royally confused anyone who tried to do it in my absence. And since everything was "high priority" and deadlines were carved in stone, it was hard to take time off without adding major complications to my life.

I finally left that job and don't have those problems anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or