Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 11:41 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,475,076 times

Advertisements

Compliance is another one. Not really a specific degree for it in college. But many compliance jobs pay $50k or higher, and require a bachelor's degree at minimum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 12:04 PM

9,374 posts, read 8,342,991 times
Sales.

Get a degree in underwater basket-weaving, but if you can sell there is always a place for you in most organizations and no one gives a rats *** what your degree is in.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:15 PM

9,391 posts, read 11,143,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffypoopoo View Post
For the majority of the general population, probably a trade job such as plumbing, electrician, construction, or carpentry. Hard to automate and phase out of the workforce and usually in demand, whether recession or not.

Or you can develop a charismatic personality and become a youtube or instagram star

Or play computer games and become pro
I was looking around at the trades recently and elevator/escalator installation/repair has top pay.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:24 PM

25,544 posts, read 17,251,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Unfortunately, will sales you have to be BS artist, with a gift to gab, and walk around with a fake smile on your face every day and downright borderline sociopathic or charisma out the wazoo which makes others flock to you. . It is more merit-based with the commissions but we all can't be social butterflies unfortunately. If you're an introvert by nature/nurture, you won't do too well in sales. Most of the skills needed for sales require inherent social ability from birth or childhood
Disagree.

I'm a natural introvert who enjoys being alone. But I was #1 salesman out of 2500 at my company.
I worked at it, though. None of it came natural.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:27 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,533,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Disagree.

I'm a natural introvert who enjoys being alone. But I was #1 salesman out of 2500 at my company.
he thinks being introvert means no social skills... and dislike of interacting with other people

Old 02-21-2018, 12:57 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,982,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Disagree.

You’re probably not as introverted as you think you are. True introverts will be more analytical and prefer that type of work in solitude. than possessing the necessary soft skills required in sales to be successful. Or you may just be an anomaly. Without fall, I’ve NEVER seen a sales rep in the corporate field that didn’t have a gift to gab, with a certain look, or some form of charisma. You also may enjoy being alone but can “turn it on socially” when you need to. True introverts can’t do that. Or if they try to, it comes off as unappealing

Can you do daily small talk? Introverts can’t stand that. Which is why I couldn’t sell a life jacket to a drowning man

Old 02-21-2018, 01:14 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,475,076 times
Quote:
You’re probably not as introverted as you think you are. True introverts will be more analytical and prefer that type of work in solitude. than possessing the necessary soft skills required in sales to be successful. Or you may just be an anomaly. Without fall, I’ve NEVER seen a sales rep in the corporate field that didn’t have a gift to gab, with a certain look, or some form of charisma. You also may enjoy being alone but can “turn it on socially” when you need to. True introverts can’t do that. Or if they try to, it comes off as unappealing

Can you do daily small talk? Introverts can’t stand that. Which is why I couldn’t sell a life jacket to a drowning man
I've come up as an INTJ-Architect personality type. And while I do enjoy solitude from time to time, I can also be very social when necessary. I think that you're confusing personality types with lack of social skills altogether.

It's kind of like how I started out not very comfortable around guns early on in life. But once I started taking target practice more and more, I felt A LOT more comfortable around them. And while I'm not obsessed with being around them, if I need or want to, I am more than capable of handling one on my own.

Old 02-21-2018, 02:36 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,216,583 times
Quote:

From what I’ve read on the subject any personality type can do any job if they work enough at it, but some types are much more geared toward some careers than others. So for example a highly skilled introvert could still be an amazing salesperson, but if they put in the same amount of time and effort they’d be an even better mathematician.

Then like you said he might be an extrovert who thinks they’re an introvert. It seems like that is MUCH more common than introverts who think they’re an extroverts. Myers Briggs personality tests are good indicators though like any tests of their sort they have their flaws.

Old 02-21-2018, 02:44 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,982,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
I've come up as an INTJ-Architect personality type. And while I do enjoy solitude from time to time, I can also be very social when necessary. I think that you're confusing personality types with lack of social skills altogether.

It's kind of like how I started out not very comfortable around guns early on in life. But once I started taking target practice more and more, I felt A LOT more comfortable around them. And while I'm not obsessed with being around them, if I need or want to, I am more than capable of handling one on my own.
I guess its possible to make the transition from introversion into a more extroversion role like sales but its probably going to take A LOT of training/practice and mentoring from the employer/hiring manager and as we have seen these days, who the hell is going to invest that much time and effort into you with hours of mentoring? Companies today want you to hit the ground and running with a very short period of time with little to no training in anything you do. So its important you probably get a job that you are already have a pre-disposition or an aptitude for. Gabbing, Socializing, Small Talk, Soft skills aren't my strong point and neither are things like the trades. I have limited ability in either so Im not going to even bother trying my hand at those because it would feel like a nightmare every day and I know damn well no one is going to mentor me into becoming successful at those things since employer's don't want to invest in their workforce today.

You have to be involved in what your strong points are if you want to be reasonably successful or stay employed

Old 02-21-2018, 03:47 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,082,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
Meh I suppose entry level, but I like to leave questions like this intentionally vague to get a greater variety of responses. So don’t feel limited to just focusing on entry level stuff. Sometimes I then get info I didn’t even know I was looking for

Also, for what it’s worth my undergrad degrees are in journalism and film. I also have a master’s degree in journalism. None of those really set you apart when seeking employment. Or if they do the jobs they set you up for don’t pay particularly well. I’ve since established a career in mental health, but only after I started in a position I could have gotten with literally any bachelor’s degree.
They set you apart if you're seeking jobs in journalism...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment