U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 02:58 PM

5,590 posts, read 2,075,724 times

Advertisements

I have a co-worker that went around pouting and saying the same thing, that it "wasn't fair --it wasn't fair" that I got the position. What she didn't know is that I had more years of education, more experience, and had worked in the position exactly the same as the one we both applied to. Just because I don't go around bragging about my credentials and telling her not to bother applying, doesn't mean we both had the same chance.

Ask to see her resume if you really need to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 03:13 PM

2,724 posts, read 1,415,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
Don't be discouraged. Who knows maybe the manager in your department wanted to get rid of her, and said good things about her to the other department, so she could be transferred.

Sometimes you don't know a "bad" luck maybe a "good" luck, and a "good" luck maybe a "bad" luck... read this story: https://www.wikivorce.com/divorce/Di...his-horse.html

Reminds me of the coworker who used to share Chinese proverbs with me all the time. A very wise person.

Old 02-22-2018, 03:23 PM

15,032 posts, read 9,224,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian75 View Post
Iím discouraged. Iím told Iím a top employee and the best hire theyíve ever had in this dept. Iíve never been late or called in sick and Iíve been here 3 years. I never fall behind on my work. I apply for a job in another dept and they give it to my coworker who is at least 15 min late every day (but doesnít stay late). Uses every excuse to call in, come in late, or leave early. Always faling behind. We both have good personalities and get along with everyone (except me with one coworker who hates me since she heard me defend Trump). Is it because she is 31 and Iím 43? Is it because she is a skinny blonde (not a beauty but everyone loves her Eastern European accent). The people in the dept they hired her in are all prompt and rarely call in.

Ah, that might be your problem right there. Maybe they felt you make poor decisions.

Old 02-22-2018, 04:13 PM

3,518 posts, read 1,257,512 times
This is not worth agonizing over. There was some trait or skill she had that you did not. Or, she was passed off to become someone else's problem. In the end, its not your business. Whether they ended up making a good decision is up to them, not you. Its going to happen during your working life, so move on. You are not going to change it.

Old 02-22-2018, 04:20 PM

18,684 posts, read 7,800,099 times
Quote:
I’m discouraged. I’m told I’m a top employee and the best hire they’ve ever had in this dept. I’ve never been late or called in sick and I’ve been here 3 years. I never fall behind on my work. I apply for a job in another dept and they give it to my coworker who is at least 15 min late every day (but doesn’t stay late). Uses every excuse to call in, come in late, or leave early. Always faling behind. We both have good personalities and get along with everyone (except me with one coworker who hates me since she heard me defend Trump). Is it because she is 31 and I’m 43? Is it because she is a skinny blonde (not a beauty but everyone loves her Eastern European accent). The people in the dept they hired her in are all prompt and rarely call in.
Could be any reason. Connections, office politics, etc. I would not take it personally. If she's that bad, she'll end up being let go. But generally, it's not a good idea to talk about any real politics at work.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:14 PM

9,802 posts, read 2,550,725 times
It seems to me, based on other threads you have started, that you may be less than objective about your own strengths and weaknesses relative to those of others.

Just a guess.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:19 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,774,103 times
Quote:
Iím discouraged. Iím told Iím a top employee and the best hire theyíve ever had in this dept. Iíve never been late or called in sick and Iíve been here 3 years. I never fall behind on my work. I apply for a job in another dept and they give it to my coworker who is at least 15 min late every day (but doesnít stay late). Uses every excuse to call in, come in late, or leave early. Always faling behind. We both have good personalities and get along with everyone (except me with one coworker who hates me since she heard me defend Trump). Is it because she is 31 and Iím 43? Is it because she is a skinny blonde (not a beauty but everyone loves her Eastern European accent). The people in the dept they hired her in are all prompt and rarely call in.
You defended Trump at work? That alone could have done you in. And it suggests you might not fit in all that well.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:28 PM

8,763 posts, read 6,948,430 times
Move on. Seriously, just move on.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:50 PM

15,032 posts, read 9,224,558 times
A lot of us have been passed over for promotions, or even being hired for some position. Just a part of life. Sometimes it is us not having the qualifications, or some outside factor that has nothing to do with you at all.

Every time an employer promotes or hires someone, they roll the dice. Sometimes it is a good choice, and sometimes a bad choice. Just move on, and maybe ask them what you could do to improve your chances the next time. If you go at it from that angle, it is not like you are confronting them, just asking how YOU can improve.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:50 PM

1,629 posts, read 684,089 times
You said it wasn't really a promotion, she just moved departments. Maybe this department is better suited for her than the ones she is in now. You only see her weaknesses, but they could have seen her strengths and put her where she could utilize them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or