U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 05:46 AM

1,224 posts, read 450,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Average now is 3%, so anything above that is good.
Gosh! I remember when the average was more like 5%. People even got 8% for doing mediocre work years ago. Yes, companies are cutting and cutting their labor costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 07:05 AM

3,322 posts, read 1,769,360 times
The more you do, the more it becomes expected with no real salary increase. . It’s a suckers game out there in corporate America. So don’t fall for it. They don’t care about you. If a company does it’s going to be very rare to find one and if you do I would stay put.

It’s better and safer just to keep your head down. Be lazy, nice to everyone and don’t “rock the boat”. You’ll keep a job much longer. Generally those that go above and beyond also call Management out on their idiocy because they are learning at a faster pace by taking initiative. We can have that though. They just want good boys and yes men who lick their bootstraps and fluff up their ego more

Old 02-23-2018, 10:18 AM

1,703 posts, read 812,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drooliette View Post
What's considered a good but reasonable annual % salary increase? I received a 1% increase this year as did the rest of my team.
Any "raise" that's less than the rate of inflation is a pay cut.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:16 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,336,574 times
The OP says that it is a huge corporation, and they are not cutting back in other departments. In a large company, when only one department is laying off people, and not replacing them or the ones that quit, that department and it's people are not performing up to company standards and some changes are going to be made.

It may be as simple of getting another manager ready to take over the department, and bring it back to life, and the new manager to have some say as to who they hire.

They may be planning on merging with other departments, consolidating and moving some or all of the work and personal to other departments and/or doing away with current department and employees.

If the company was doing the same with other departments, laying off some people and not replacing them or the ones that quit, then the company is in trouble.

When it is happening in one department, that department is in trouble, and sometimes it takes a little time to set up changes they are going to make. I have been involved in having to make decisions about how things are done, or to get a new manager ready to take over the department in my corporate days.

In a very large company, when only one department is laying off people, and not replacing them and/or the ones that quit, that department and it's people are not performing up to company standards and some changes are going to be made. Just give them a little time, and you will see changes take place. They may be bringing in a new manager from another company location, and it takes time to get the new manager in place to take over. This I know, as I was a couple of times the one that was brought in from another location.

Old 02-23-2018, 03:53 PM

321 posts, read 211,127 times
I would absolutely start looking. This happened to me and I wore the hats of three other people. It was stressful and the company ended up going out of business.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:23 PM

901 posts, read 1,161,385 times
Some companies have a hiring freeze around this rime of year and ironically companies like to get rid of people they dont want Jan Feb Mar Apr

Old 02-23-2018, 09:46 PM

16,609 posts, read 20,344,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Yep sadly the only thing a dynsfunctional company responds to is a large voluntary turnover and exodus of quality people. But by the time they do, it’s probably too late and the damage has already been done. There’s no point of waiting around for idiots to properly manage things and realize they need more support to handle the operation. Since they have already made it point to show they don’t know or don’t care
Yeah, this same company, after treating us this way (requiring overtime, no raises, etc.), had an employee rally of sorts and the CEO got up and bragged about how great the company was doing. Gave a rip roaring speech and you heard crickets. He looked completely confused. Expected the employees to react the same way as the board, I guess. What an idiot. Totally out of touch with the employees. So, guess who he ended up stuck with? All of the worst employees. Anyone with any ambition got the heck out of Dodge.

It's so true that companies figure out that if you want anything done, give it to the busiest person. But, they often don't get rid of the dead wood for some reason. There's the dead wood who sits around painting their fingernails, while the employee they should be rewarding is busting their butt trying to keep up, while the supervisors just shift work from the deadwood to the overly busy employee.

So, who leaves? The one doing all the work. And yet, they keep the deadwood, and just hire another worker bee. Until that one burns out. And the deadwood just relaxes and draws a salary.

Goes to show that management usually is done by people who got hired because they had a degree or were the friend of a friend, but never learned actual management skills. And yet, they usually get away with it.

All you can do is move on.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:02 PM

5,989 posts, read 2,465,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
That certainly is not good news. It either means that the company is preparing to go out of business or that they now want "to do more with less".

Are your positions salaried? In other words, are employees paid for putting in overtime hours? If not, then it may be the second option. Many employers are realizing that they want to "get their money's worth" out of salaried employees by working them 50, 60, 70 hours or more per week since they pay them the same whether the employees work 40 or 80 hours per week.

I think that you should start looking.
What happens when the company lays off the 3 people and some of the others dont show up for 50-60-70 hours but leave at 40 (or less, remember its salery)? Unless you are dealing with dolts people will know what is going on.

I never worked an hour over 40 hours. What are they going to do hold you at gun point, they just laid off 3 people, I would call their bluff.

Don't quit, let them lay you off and bank the time in between and get your affairs in order. Leave them reeling and exploit this situation.

Old 02-24-2018, 02:50 AM

1,224 posts, read 450,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
What happens when the company lays off the 3 people and some of the others dont show up for 50-60-70 hours but leave at 40 (or less, remember its salery)? Unless you are dealing with dolts people will know what is going on.

I never worked an hour over 40 hours. What are they going to do hold you at gun point, they just laid off 3 people, I would call their bluff.

Don't quit, let them lay you off and bank the time in between and get your affairs in order. Leave them reeling and exploit this situation.
It's great that you never worked over 40 hours. Keep it up!

But we had fanatics at where I worked that would put in an awful lot of overtime. It was called "being interested in your job". Unfortunately the nature of the job was that you had to provide service to the clients after hours, doing after hours support, and trying to meet impossible deadlines that were deliberately set to maneuver people into working at night or on the weekend. So if a client was in trouble at night or on the weekend and needed help and the employee would say that they don't do overtime and refused to help, or just say that they would only work 40 hours a week and not meet their deadlines, that person would be quickly and unceremoniously fired.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:37 AM

5,989 posts, read 2,465,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
It's great that you never worked over 40 hours. Keep it up!

But we had fanatics at where I worked that would put in an awful lot of overtime. It was called "being interested in your job". Unfortunately the nature of the job was that you had to provide service to the clients after hours, doing after hours support, and trying to meet impossible deadlines that were deliberately set to maneuver people into working at night or on the weekend. So if a client was in trouble at night or on the weekend and needed help and the employee would say that they don't do overtime and refused to help, or just say that they would only work 40 hours a week and not meet their deadlines, that person would be quickly and unceremoniously fired.
I live my life in a manner such that I have no regrets. If I was going to work in a draconian atmosphere like that the pay would have to be life changing otherwise what exactly are you loosing if your fired? Unless your making 220k plus a year to dance like a gester just find another mediocre paying job.

Now if your making 220k plus start paying off all your dreams so you can get out and retire early. But if your putting up with this for meager pay that really is foolish. You will look back with regret for putting yourself in a position where you had to put up with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or