Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 07:34 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,117,145 times

Advertisements

If you think you can or think you can't...you will be correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 08:04 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Here's the problem from the individual job seeker's perspective.
As a hiring manager, I don't care about the individual job seeker's perspective.

Before people start calling for the tar and feathers, think about it from my point of view. I have one opening, and I will hire one person. I am going to minimize my risk, minimize my time, and hire the person who is most likely to succeed at the job. That might be an out of town person, in which case they must be just a bit better than any of my in town options. If I do hire somebody from out of town, that means that one less person in town is going to get a job.

I have been a job seeker as well of course. From that point of view, I agree with you. I want an equal shot with the local guys. Just because I want it, I have to admit that I am probably not going to get it.

Quote:
The out of area candidate situation is a catch 22. There are quite a few reasons to not hire out of area candidates from the employer's perspective, and many are legitimate. The problem, especially for small town and rural residents not commutable to a job center, is that if employers in the job centers are not willing to hire out of area candidates, you end up with large parts of the country where there are no jobs and from which people cannot escape. At some point, someone has to have the confidence to break the logjam.
Yes, you are correct. I have not solutions for this dilemma

Old 02-27-2018, 10:53 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
As a hiring manager, I don't care about the individual job seeker's perspective.

Before people start calling for the tar and feathers, think about it from my point of view. I have one opening, and I will hire one person. I am going to minimize my risk, minimize my time, and hire the person who is most likely to succeed at the job. That might be an out of town person, in which case they must be just a bit better than any of my in town options. If I do hire somebody from out of town, that means that one less person in town is going to get a job.

I have been a job seeker as well of course. From that point of view, I agree with you. I want an equal shot with the local guys. Just because I want it, I have to admit that I am probably not going to get it.

Yes, you are correct. I have not solutions for this dilemma
Only solution is to build up a few grand total in savings, move to where you want without a job lined up, live in an Extended Stay and try to get whatever job you can (or temp) until you can find something permanent, then work on getting an apartment once you get a permanent position somewhere

Old 02-28-2018, 06:32 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Only solution is to build up a few grand total in savings...
You really should have that already

Quote:
move to where you want without a job lined up...
...or where there are a LOT of opportunities doing what you do.

Quote:
live in an Extended Stay (or similar)
...and try to get whatever job you can...
Not try. Do. Expect to get **something** that will earn enough to pay your way there.
Earn enough so you don't need to dip into that reserve fund ...or can even replenish it.

This step seems the most unpalatable aspect of the process to many.
But I believe it's the step that will determine success for most (or not).

The get by job is almost always something lesser than what your doing now
and in some cases it might need to be lesser than you have ever done...
but for most it will need to be something you DO have some experience with.

Get past your ego and think about YOUR alternate skill sets long before just showing up.

Related to this unpalatable aspect is the 'less than' living situation you'll soon need.
With that get by job secured you can move out of the motel (yay!)

Look for a get by place to live NEAR that job. That's likely to mean renting a room
because you won't be earning a lot and you don't want to dip into reserves for rent.

Settle in, take a breath, make some friends. Make some professional contacts too.
---

NOW you can start thinking about the better job you want/deserve and apply for it
using a local address and a local employment reference too. These are invaluable.
Add some local professional contacts as a personal references as soon as you can.

Quote:
...work on getting an apartment after you get a permanent position somewhere
The unsaid portion of this stage is what if you STILL can't get hired. Then what?
Then you look at the map and pick a different town and start again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqC5YtutWAU

----
eta: Just be glad it's only you. With a spouse and kids and a mortgage you just can't do this sort of thing.
Well, not if they're with you.

Last edited by MrRational; 02-28-2018 at 06:48 AM..

Old 02-28-2018, 05:41 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You really should have that already

...or where there are a LOT of opportunities doing what you do.

Not try. Do. Expect to get **something** that will earn enough to pay your way there.
Earn enough so you don't need to dip into that reserve fund ...or can even replenish it.

This step seems the most unpalatable aspect of the process to many.
But I believe it's the step that will determine success for most (or not).

The get by job is almost always something lesser than what your doing now
and in some cases it might need to be lesser than you have ever done...
but for most it will need to be something you DO have some experience with.

Get past your ego and think about YOUR alternate skill sets long before just showing up.

Related to this unpalatable aspect is the 'less than' living situation you'll soon need.
With that get by job secured you can move out of the motel (yay!)

Look for a get by place to live NEAR that job. That's likely to mean renting a room
because you won't be earning a lot and you don't want to dip into reserves for rent.

Settle in, take a breath, make some friends. Make some professional contacts too.
---

NOW you can start thinking about the better job you want/deserve and apply for it
using a local address and a local employment reference too. These are invaluable.
Add some local professional contacts as a personal references as soon as you can.

The unsaid portion of this stage is what if you STILL can't get hired. Then what?
Then you look at the map and pick a different town and start again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqC5YtutWAU

----
eta: Just be glad it's only you. With a spouse and kids and a mortgage you just can't do this sort of thing.
Well, not if they're with you.
Sounds like a plan. I was going to stay in an extended stay hotel and I decided against it after I visited. I found a great apartment complex. They will rent to you if you have one 1 year of rent saved. Three month leases are very pricey. I am going to take a 6 month lease and rent month to month thereafter.

I agree the in between job is key. I want to minimize my loss. I also want to take my time to obtain the right job.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:51 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I found a great apartment complex.
Don't sign a lease in town X until you have a good job in town X.
Put your furniture in storage. Rent a room in a furnished house until you have the good job.
and YES expect that to take some time.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:02 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Don't sign a lease in town X until you have a good job in town X.
Put your furniture in storage. Rent a room in a furnished house until you have the good job.
and YES expect that to take some time.
I guess I will be doing what is unconventional. I want to be comfortable and safe in my own space. Extended stays are ridiculously expensive. I did not like the one I visited. Price difference is not significant enough to rent a room. I find those arrangements too restrictive and unstable. Folks are strange. I did it once and I bolted out of there after three weeks.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:13 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I guess I will be doing what is unconventional. I want to be comfortable and safe in my own space. Extended stays are ridiculously expensive. I did not like the one I visited. Price difference is not significant enough to rent a room. I find those arrangements too restrictive and unstable. Folks are strange. I did it once and I bolted out of there after three weeks.
The two advantages of an Extended Stay are they will give you a room without a job, and it gives you a local address while you job hunt

Old 02-28-2018, 11:20 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,656,593 times
I'm in a slightly different boat. I am moving to a new city, whether I gain employment or not. However, I tell future employers that I will pay for my moving expenses. So far, i have two phone interviews and a skype interview. While none of these interviews automatically lead to offers, it's encouraging that my new city recognizes talent.

I think if you tell them that you're paying for your moving expenses, they'll be happier to talk to you. I didn't even know that "skype" interviews existed.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:33 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,696,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodie_Bunk View Post
There's basically nothing anyone could offer me to leave NYC career wise that wouldn't leave a severe dent in their departmental budget. I would need NYC salary or close to it, despite the cost of living difference.
I felt the same way when I lived in NYC. I moved to a "2nd tier city" (or maybe a 3rd tier city?) and got a 50% pay bump. However, that had a lot more to do about being in a high-demand/low-supply/tough-to-fill position.

Honestly, I'd have taken that job for a 33% pay bump just to get out of the NYC area. What a rat-race. It had a LOT of perks though. I visit there yearly just to say "yeah, I remember what its like." It wasn't for me, but I can still enjoy it in small doses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment