U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 04:13 PM

10,608 posts, read 13,350,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobseeker2013 View Post
Last year I received a 4 out of 5 rating. 5 is outstanding, 4 is excellent, 3 is Good, 2 is needs improvement and 1 is not satisfactory.

This year I received 3.6 out of 5. My overall score was rated as an excellent employee because of rounding. I received a mixture of 4s and 3s to get the 3.6. Last year it was all 4s.

Curious is this a big deal that I got a slightly worse review from last year? I have much more responsibility now as well. Also Last year we had a high turnover and it was me and 2 temps. Now the staff if full with perms with tenure of at least 6 months. So less raise money to go around?
I would be asking to see the supporting detail.

You can't improve if you're this in the dark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 04:42 PM

3,999 posts, read 1,502,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
That sounds normal to me. Hopefully your manager goes over the review with you and discusses the areas where s/he would like you to focus on improving, and you work together to draft a plan to work on those improvements.
And, if your company is like mine, fives don't exist unless you happen to be a miracle worker of some sort that single handedly increases profits or saves the company millions of dollars with your ideas, lol
Agree. Performance reviews that don't register changes in workload (in other words you always get the same nice comfy score regardless of change in the work) are less useful in the long run.

A colleague once remarked that no one ever achieved the mythical "five" unless they walked on water...and then clarified that no one ever walked on water except the head of the company.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:03 PM

1,231 posts, read 454,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
LOL I call BS on that.

It's literally impossible.

Maybe you're confused about the term Metrics versus Results?
No, this is entirely possible. Each management team can decide how they want to proceed. There are no limits for management and I have seen it done. There are also companies who give the same % merit increase to all their staff, regardless of performance.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:24 PM

482 posts, read 216,067 times
Quote:
LOL I call BS on that.

Believe what you want.

We did do it (decide ahead of time what the staff's appraisals would be). Is it fair? No. Was it done? Yes.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:06 PM

251 posts, read 86,954 times
Unfortunately performance reviews are only as accurate or useful as the department or group you are in. They are entirely relative (and therefore at minimum partially subjective)

Old 02-25-2018, 07:37 PM

5,730 posts, read 3,020,505 times
Quote:
LOL I call BS on that.

Why would you think it's impossible? There's nothing in a system that prevents management from predetermining the scores.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:11 PM

3,876 posts, read 5,112,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Why would you think it's impossible? There's nothing in a system that prevents management from predetermining the scores.
People come and go from depts all the time and budgets are different a year from now.

I have never seen a group keep the exact same staff in the same structure an entire year. At many companies, they hired new employees due to growth or let go of employees to cut costs in a bad year. Managers quit and leave for greener pastures and higher salary. They would no longer be able to give out those pre-determine raises to their old employees at their previous employer. That's only, if the employees didn't get poached or leave for more money from a competitor.

Change was inevitable. I am curious about a team that nobody leaves or joins, unless it's govt policy admin position.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:11 PM

3,002 posts, read 1,571,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodie_Bunk View Post
Unfortunately performance reviews are only as accurate or useful as the department or group you are in. They are entirely relative (and therefore at minimum partially subjective)
Exactly. Most recent work group completely disregarded my past appraisals. I figure they probably view my prior group as inferior and assumed previous supervisors passed out high appraisals to everyone. Meanwhile, their appraisals are based on cronyism. A smart person knows not to put much stock in the opinion of a manager who rates a trainee "outstanding" before they even have nine months on the job. I only value assessments from ethical, fair and objective supervisors...but really, appraisals are just a necessary evil for all involved.

Old 02-26-2018, 04:12 AM

444 posts, read 192,633 times
Quote:
Last year I received a 4 out of 5 rating. 5 is outstanding, 4 is excellent, 3 is Good, 2 is needs improvement and 1 is not satisfactory.

This year I received 3.6 out of 5. My overall score was rated as an excellent employee because of rounding. I received a mixture of 4s and 3s to get the 3.6. Last year it was all 4s.

Curious is this a big deal that I got a slightly worse review from last year? I have much more responsibility now as well. Also Last year we had a high turnover and it was me and 2 temps. Now the staff if full with perms with tenure of at least 6 months. So less raise money to go around?
Some annual performance reviews are authentic. Many, are not.

It's often a way to distribute raises from a limited budget of money.

An average employee in a position they don't want a vacancy at the moment may get "excellent" and a raise to make sure he/she stays.

Maybe you got a lower (but good review ) to keep you on your toes.

Who knows?

Old 02-26-2018, 08:52 AM

3,753 posts, read 1,585,676 times
Quote:
The categories were the newer ones.
Perhaps the newer ones are designed to keep your raise small.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or