Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 10:02 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Someone on this job will spend 90% of their time in an office type environment in front of a computer designing the system. Very severe shortage of qualified technicians and a good field to get into if you can.
Could this be a work from home type thing? bet you could entice people on CD for it if they only had to show up 10% of the time on site or in meeting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 06:48 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Perfect job opening for someone that has a little AutoCad experience.

I know the company, having worked there once, and this is for real.

Fire Sprinkler Design Trainee - ENTRY LEVEL
33K–50K a year Full-time
I'm not looking for a job but that is great for you to post and adding in your personal experience with the job is great credibility for it.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:10 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Could this be a work from home type thing? bet you could entice people on CD for it if they only had to show up 10% of the time on site or in meeting
Yes, I work from home about 30% of the time during winter months and 80% during summer months. I like being out by the pool watching the grandkids swim.

I don't have a supervisor because I know more than anyone else in the company.

I am certified as a Level IV which is required to do a lot of the work I do and here is a snapshot of a department of defense specification for a job at Wright Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton, Ohio:

As far as engineering of system it's either a professional engineer who has passed the fire protection engineering written test or a certified NICET IV technician. An architect or professional engineer who has not passed the written fire protection engineering test can't do the job.

One thing I should mention is this isn't a job it's a career and the training time can be considered insane by some. Minimum training time for NICET III is five years and until you obtain the Level III certification you are considered a trainee. Minimum experience to obtain NICET IV (senior technician) certification is ten years. Yes, ten years and they do check and verify with past employers.

On sprinklers nothing is "pipe schedule" anymore our pipes are all sized based on hydraulic calculations designed to the water supply available. You can have two completely identical buildings in different parts of town and the systems will not look alike because the water supply is different. As far as sprinkler heads and technology there's over one thousand different sprinkler heads and to give an idea what we work with here's a K25 EC used for some storage buildings. I can give you over 4,000 pages like that on different sprinkler heads and design parameters so it isn't something you pick up in a year or two.

For education you need to be a high school graduate and my guess is less than 70% of our number has anything more than a two year degree and most of who do are professional engineers who carry NICET certification because of portability across state lines.

Salaries....

Average Salary for Certification: National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies (NICET) - Level IV

$75 to $80k is pretty much the going rate around Atlanta right now and according to the Bureau of Labor that is pretty much in line with a Masters or Professional Degree.

Just knowing what I know about the industry this is a huge opening for someone who has more than just a passing interest in something like this. If you are looking for a career and not just a job then maybe....

Old 02-26-2018, 11:24 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
I know a former coworker from Antarctica that does this for Western States Fire Protection Company in Centennial, CO. His Dad, who's a former general contractor in that area, helped him get the job. He enjoys it, has been with that company for 7 years now.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:33 AM

4,627 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
not sure how "much" sprinkler placement changes, not much new technology in the field that I know of, water is water right? Or whatever foam they spray... and pipes are pipes, diameters always the same for a set system?

and being regulated by govt, I doubt the regulations/building codes differ between locations much,

but if it is so consistent through the years
They change every 3 years when new codes come out. Not all states adopt every code. Not all states adopt the base code, most states add amendments.
Some cities have unique codes that doesn't match the state (NYC, SF are two examples).

Then you have site variables - line pressure and volume, design of the building, wet pipe, dry pipe, etc.

A lot of it is easy layout once you do all the leg work engineering is done.

Old 02-26-2018, 12:35 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
They change every 3 years when new codes come out. Not all states adopt every code. Not all states adopt the base code, most states add amendments.
Some cities have unique codes that doesn't match the state (NYC, SF are two examples).

Then you have site variables - line pressure and volume, design of the building, wet pipe, dry pipe, etc.

A lot of it is easy layout once you do all the leg work engineering is done.
And to keep it interesting there's a difference between codes and standards. A building code will not tell you how to install a system but will tell you where a system is required to be installed and what standard to use in the installation.

It is the standards that keep us pretty much alike; for example a system protecting high piled storage in the United States is going to end up looking pretty much like, if not exactly like, a system installed in China, France or South Africa.

We are pretty much insurance industry driven and if the insured risk is say an FM Global risk then you would follow the FM Global data sheet for the design criteria. For example if you ever wondered what kind of system Amazon would have in their automated warehouse you would find the design criteria in FM Global Data Sheet 8-34.

It's an interesting career especially if you like solving puzzles.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:45 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Over the course of my career as a machinist, I have seriously given Nicet4's advice regarding a career change serious consideration. It sounds like a great gig, and my skills in both general construction/manufacturing along with CAD experience would be transitional and useful. I could definitely see myself doing a job like that until retirement, and these jobs aren't going anywhere.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:29 AM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Over the course of my career as a machinist, I have seriously given Nicet4's advice regarding a career change serious consideration. It sounds like a great gig, and my skills in both general construction/manufacturing along with CAD experience would be transitional and useful. I could definitely see myself doing a job like that until retirement, and these jobs aren't going anywhere.
So why not apply?

Old 03-03-2018, 10:05 AM

251 posts, read 204,126 times
I will pass this info along to some younger guys I know on Facebook, thanks

Old 03-10-2018, 01:16 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,169 times
I could easily learn to do this job if someone would just give me a chance.

Industrial Engineering degree, worked in facilities planning consulting for some years designing manufacturing layouts, improving processes etc.., worked with architects, commercial contractors, built facilities, concrete tilt ups etc..... used auto cad, but I never did much myself, we had our own cad drafters to do the heavy lifting. I hardly ever had to do my own drafting but would pick it right up in no time.

Also did a lot of project management for my projects if clients hired me for that also.

Before that I worked as a manufacturing engineer in electronics. I was the go between for R&D and manufacturing. Basically I was in charge of taking the designs from R&D and consulting with the R&D engineers to help them improve their designs to meet quality, costs, manufacturability, bring them to market on time and in budget etc... basically help the R&D engineers with what it took to actually manufacture something.

I also have an accounting degree and passed the CPA exam. i.e. I can memorize and apply rules, codes, etc.... no problem. Really not much different than tax law.

I also passed the CPA exam, all four parts, first time, 3 out of 4 parts scored 90+. I can study, take tests and pass, no problem.

I have outstanding 3d visualization.

Live in Knoxville now, moving to SLC or back to Denver in the next year or two. Relocating right now is not possible.

After working as an engineer I was a stay at home dad that turned from something temp in between jobs to long term because of issues out of my control with my son, haven't worked in many years, tried to get back into a career by getting the accounting degree, wanted to be a CPA, looked for over 3 years, no job offer.

Employers need to realize that there are so many people like myself out there that want to work, but just need a little help getting started again. We haven't worked in so long we basically don't have current resumes anymore, and yes, our experiences and skills are from years ago, but it doesn't mean we can't start over and learn something new or contribute.

I am tired of hearing from employers that they just can't find anyone.

When we couldn't find people we hired the brightest that where available and willing and trained them. Why can't we do that now? Makes no sense.

Lots of highly educated and smart people in this country not working because we aren't perfect and no employer wants to give us a chance, even when we are willing to start over and work our way back up. We just want a career with some upside, not a low wage job. I can get a low wage job anywhere. Just down on my luck and tired of being underemployed, but no one will help and I can't do it on my own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment