Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 07:30 PM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmHereToThere View Post
I would like to get to a point where I'm making 80K+ annually within a few years time. (Basically, I'm looking to buy a house in an expensive metro and rent out the rooms, so this is how I've established this annual salary goal.)

My options seem to be pretty limited, from my research so far, so I'm hoping to just get some ideas from all of you and find out what all my options really are.

There's really not anything I'm unwilling to consider; I'll consider going anywhere and doing just about anything--whatever helps me meet my goal, especially in a shorter timeframe. My passport is ready to go if that's what it entails, as are my work gloves.

Pretty much the only jobs I've come across so far that may help me meet my goal without additional education are as follows, and with some luck: Sales (particular industries) or sales-related (e.g., real estate, financial advisor), crime scene cleanup (in certain metros), garbage collector (in certain metros). All of those seems like a bit of a "stretch"--or involve a lot of luck to ensure meeting my goal, I expect--but please enlighten me if I'm being a total pessimist or something.

In terms of options through additional education (Master's degrees), which I am totally willing to consider as well, here's what I've come across: Engineering (especially Petrollium), Human-Computer Interaction, and basically a number of healthcare professions that are probably more competitive and time-intensive than I am presently prepared for (e.g., PA, OT, Nurse Practitioners). Obviously a lot of people who have similar goals to myself get MBAs, but I am concerned that this is for naught without the right business experience or the grades to get into a top school. I'm not sure if pursuing a particular specialization (Marketing?) or attending internationally might help. (I've heard the admissions are more permissive for some top schools internationally, but maybe that was only undergrad. I presently have a BA in Psych from an average state school, with decent grades.)

I'm open to reframing my goals and expectations as reality dictates, of course--but I don't want to overlook any options that will help me meet them in an efficient/realistic way. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
You say you don't want to get another degree but what about learning something new?

If you are at least half decent with computers, consider enrolling in one of those coding bootcamps where you and a bunch of other aspiring programmers cram as much as you can about Programming for several weeks and months straight.. and the average graduate of these bootcamps usually lands entry level programming jobs paying an average of $80K/yr.

But be forewarned.. you won't have a life during the next 4 or so months when you're at one of these bootcamps. And it won't be an easy ride; I wouldn't consider it unless you're at least pretty passionate about computers and programming.

If you don't have the money, consider a self-paced bootcamp:

https://www.freecodecamp.org/

or:

courses.fast.ai

This option is not for you if you're not self-disciplined.. you won't have an instructor barking at you everyday so you'll need iron strong motivation. Still, go with one of those bootcamps offered in your city or some place nearby if you can afford it; at least you'll get some credentials and may even be recruited by companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 11:23 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,656,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
In a big city with high cost f living
Fastest way is probably accelerated RN program..if you have no issue handling the patient stuff
Otherwise accounting/finance bachelor's , even as an analyst, after 5 year's should be breaking 100k

Not without a CPA and living in a high COL, you won't. He/she would be lucky to reach that amount without a certified license or living in SF or NYC.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:26 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,656,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Without knowing your skills or expertise in any of the fields mentioned (or anything else not mentioned) how could anyone really say? What sorts of credentials do you have now? IMHO you are going to need a lot of luck no matter what you pick. Don't you have any interest in the actual WORK you do? There's so much more to life than dollars in the bank. Personally, the last thing I'd want is to work like a dog just to become a landlord to a bunch of other people!!

THIS PERSON HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD!!!!

OP: I would STRONGLY urge you to re-read the bolded. And this hits home with me because I am in the same boat--wanting to make 80k+ just to afford my home in California. Not too long ago, I decided enough is enough and I decided to make my money work for me. Slavery sucks!

Old 03-01-2018, 06:44 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,696,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmHereToThere View Post
I would like to get to a point where I'm making 80K+ annually within a few years time.
Part of the solution is the right job. There were a lot of good pieces of advice (RN, Engineering, etc). But, the key to bumping up your salary is get to 3 years experience and shop around for a better job. 5 years might be better, but in many fields, 3 years is good enough. If after 3 years you show great competence in your field, you could probably get up to 80-100k with some hard-nosed salary negotiation.

With just 3 years experience, you will not be able to take that offer back to your current company and demand they match it. Be prepared to walk since they are used to paying you an entry level salary and all your raises are based off that entry-level position.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:39 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
It's not just the career, but also where you live. My DH is Mechanical Engineer. He made six figures a few years after receiving his degree, but we also live in the Chicagoland area. If he was a ME in say Atlanta or NC, he would probably make half of what he earns now. My husband has also been with the same company for 18 years.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:47 AM

16,541 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
I just paid a plumber $120 for a job that took him about 4 minutes. His equipment - a $30 snake. Whenever I need a plumber, I have to call and leave messages for at least 5 of them to get a call back. So, it seems to me that this is one area where the money is good and the competition is low.
Right? And contractors, too. Man, to be so in demand that you can call customers back a week later...

Old 03-01-2018, 08:19 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,660,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
You're talking long haul, right? It's not unusual for long haul truckers to pull in six figures if they put in the mileage. I find it hard to believe that the guys dropping things off at your porch are hauling in that kind of loot though. Otherwise, maybe I'll put my CDL to use and get a gig at UPS.
I completely believe that some panel van routes pay that.

Problem is, it's extremely competitive. First, you have to get hired. Once you do, you start out lumping packages at the dock. It can take a long time before you can bid on any route at all, and then you get the worst one that all of the older guys don't want. The routes that can pay $100K slinging packages along the beach go to the 25 year veterans.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:58 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
You're talking long haul, right? It's not unusual for long haul truckers to pull in six figures if they put in the mileage. I find it hard to believe that the guys dropping things off at your porch are hauling in that kind of loot though. Otherwise, maybe I'll put my CDL to use and get a gig at UPS.
The guy I know makes close to that and seldom works any kind of overtime. Him and his wife bought their home when they were worth a third of what they are now. I think his home is paid off now. He knows drivers racking up the overtime so they can afford to live here. Homes in our area can start in the $500,000 range.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:14 AM

3,464 posts, read 4,835,336 times
Realistically, hoping for 80k plus in just a couple or few years without any experience is quite a stretch. Most of the jobs that would get you there in a few years require a specialized degree such as engineering or nursing. You would be looking at the time it would take you to get the degree plus a few years after landing a job, so basically 7 to 8 years.

There are plenty of professions you can go into that make that kind of money but it takes time to get there. You mentioned real estate and there are plenty of real estate agents that make very good money but it takes around 5 years or so to build up all of the contacts and get your name out there to have a network to bring in the sales.

The way most upper income earners get there are by starting your own business. Pick something you like and there is a market for and go for it. However, your first 2 to 3 years will not be all that profitable unless you are lucky and around the 4th to 5th year you will turn the corner if you are actually good at running the business and from that point the sky is the limit. Be prepared to work a lot of hours and when you are not at work you will be thinking about work and sometimes it isn't fun dealing with all the BS especially when you have employees. Employees for the most part are a great big pain in the ass. It is almost like running a daycare instead of a business at times.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:20 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Became a salesperson at Quicken Loans.

Work 100 hours a week and excel at pushing mortgages.

You will actually make a lot more than 80K in a few years.

However in a few more you will most likely need rehab for the cocaine addiction and psychological therapy. Your ex spouse will be getting most of your money. But you will be making tons.

How many years is a few? If yu have a college degree and execellent grades, you can go to ta top law school, get a law degree pass the bar, get a job, work 100 hours a week and if you are good at marketing, become a partner.

Actually you will likely start at 80K or above on that path.

Join the army. In a few years (20 or so) you will become a General. However you will not need a house, they will provide you living quarters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment