Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 10:04 AM

11 posts, read 7,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
No you aren’t. You expect to make this salary in two years, work it for another 2-3, and be done with it.

$80k jobs are the exception, not the norm. They are typically held by highly educated, highly talented, and/or senior people. You don’t seem to be any of these. Your goal simply isn’t realistic.
I know that you're probably right about my goal being unrealistic, but I'm not sure it's for the reasons you've mentioned. If you read through this (now merged) thread, it seems to me that people have pointed out viable options -- although even with those there's probably a certain amount of luck involved in regards to the specific time frame I suggested.

I believe that I am a smart and talented person; I am willing to become highly educated (a.k.a. Master's degree, but maybe you meant PhD?)

It seems to me that what's really holding me back in terms of the specifics of the goal is the other more personal conditions that I mentioned -- e.g., feeling the need to incorporate my personal talents/motivations in my career choice.

Maybe you'd argue that my goal is still not realistic, even apart from that. If I was certain of that, then that'd likely be helpful. It might push me in a different direction, depending on the specific conditions that reality dictates.

Quote:
I get that it is the means to an end. But your wants aren’t unique. Almost everybody wants to make a lot of money and then retire to live off their savings/investments. Almost nobody manages this in 5 years. Yes, those income options do exist, but as I mentioned they are usually for experienced people. That isn’t you, at least not yet.

You need to adjust your wants. How? Maybe see a therapist?
FWIW, I wasn't planning to just stop working after purchasing the house. I know my last passage was very long, but I did address that at the end.

I'm willing to adjust my goals as reality dictates, but as I'm sure you can tell, "groundedness" is not necessarily my forte. That's why I'm here, I guess. If you want to parse out the reality in great detail for me, then that would probably be helpful, too.

Quote:
OP could try to join the NYPD. It is tough to get in, but after 5 years you would earn that type of money. That would put him only two years behind schedule. His buy-a-house-and-fill-it-with-cash-cows plan wouldnt work though, because cost of housing in NYC is too high for that to pencil out. They have requirements to live in either NYC or neighboring NY state counties with similar COL.
FWIW, I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to relocating somewhere for work, and then purchasing somewhere else more viable for my goals, if need be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 10:07 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmHereToThere View Post
... depending on the specific conditions that reality dictates.
Are you currently supporting yourself and living independently?

Old 04-07-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Are you currently supporting yourself and living independently?
I am currently working 50+ hours per week, but not making anywhere near what I need to be making in regards to the goals I have discussed here. I make enough to support myself and live independently in my current Metro. I am currently living with a family member because it allows me to save more money.

Old 04-07-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
80k a year is roughly 80,000 / 2000 = $40 per hour. The 2,000 represents total work hours per year assuming you take a two week vacation.

A good factory job with lots of overtime will put you you close to this. Don't need a degree. Add city jobs to the mix as well.
Do you have any suggestions in terms of types of factory or city jobs? :-)

Old 04-07-2018, 12:39 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
I am currently working 50+ hours per week, but not making anywhere near what I need to be making in regards to the goals I have discussed here. I make enough to support myself and live independently in my current Metro. I am currently living with a family member because it allows me to save more money.
How much do you have in savings so far?

Old 04-07-2018, 12:54 PM

126 posts, read 96,445 times
If you have a good driving record, do the following:

1. Go through a company-sponsored training program for one of the mega trucking companies.
2. Work for them for the year or year and a half that the contract requires to pay off the training. Make sure you get into no accidents and get no tickets.
3. Get a job in the oil fields driving frac sand. You can get your $80,000 and housing on top of that, but be prepared to work 12 hour shifts 6 days a week.

Old 04-07-2018, 02:30 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
I know that you're probably right about my goal being unrealistic, but I'm not sure it's for the reasons you've mentioned. If you read through this (now merged) thread, it seems to me that people have pointed out viable options -- although even with those there's probably a certain amount of luck involved in regards to the specific time frame I suggested.
I haven’t read the entire thread, but the reality is that most jobs in the country pay less than $80k. Many of the rest are pretty specialized, requiring a specific education or experience. I don’t hear that from you.

Quote:
I believe that I am a smart and talented person; I am willing to become highly educated (a.k.a. Master's degree, but maybe you meant PhD?)
I don’t see you getting an additional degree, and landing an $80k job, and working it for two years, all in the short 5 year time-frame you have set out as your limit. Of course you can do all of these things, just not within 5 years.

Quote:
It seems to me that what's really holding me back in terms of the specifics of the goal is the other more personal conditions that I mentioned -- e.g., feeling the need to incorporate my personal talents/motivations in my career choice.
I pretty much ignored that.

Quote:
Maybe you'd argue that my goal is still not realistic, even apart from that. If I was certain of that, then that'd likely be helpful. It might push me in a different direction, depending on the specific conditions that reality dictates.
I am mostly condemning your requirement that all of this happen virtually immediately.

Quote:
FWIW, I wasn't planning to just stop working after purchasing the house. I know my last passage was very long, but I did address that at the end.

I'm willing to adjust my goals as reality dictates, but as I'm sure you can tell, "groundedness" is not necessarily my forte. That's why I'm here, I guess. If you want to parse out the reality in great detail for me, then that would probably be helpful, too.
It is a forum, not a counselor relationship.

Quote:
FWIW, I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to relocating somewhere for work, and then purchasing somewhere else more viable for my goals, if need be.
Fine, but that adds complexity. If you work in NY as a cop, per my example, you need to live there as well. You can purchase an investment property elsewhere, but that adds to your need for capital, increases your risk, and adds to your workload.

Old 04-07-2018, 03:05 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,616,330 times
Quote:
There aren’t many factory jobs like that any more. City jobs generally don’t pay that well either, at least not without a lot of seniority, or specialized knowledge. Try looking up the general office jobs, parking enforcement, street crew, etc jobs. A very few very competitive jobs in very large and expensive cities might work.
Completely depends on the location. I have several friends and family that work factory jobs for companies like Ingersroll Rand, Hankook, and Akibono breaks. Mostly assembly line. They've hit the $75 - $80k multiple years. This was with a lot of overtime. But, very well in reach. Depends on the company and the trade. None of them have college degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment