Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 11:30 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,460 times

Advertisements

I personally would not rely on brick and mortar retail as a long term career option. Margins are too slim and more people are switching to online shopping as it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 12:09 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
That awkward moment when you realize JC Penny is still a thing,

Old 03-01-2018, 12:16 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Our JCP had identical merchandise to Kohls and I prefer Kohls so I shop there. If they wanted to survive than they should have changed the merchandise a bit, lower prices, etc. Even though I do a lot of online shopping, I too prefer a brick and motor for shoes, jeans, dresses and things that you really need to try on first.

Old 03-01-2018, 02:00 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,413,683 times
JCP, Sears, Kmart are all running on fumes. Within the next decade (five years maybe?) all of them could be gone.

I was at a local mall (which is also running on fumes. 20 tenants left) and went in the JCP. I only looked around the first floor but I saw two employees plus myself. I didn't even hear any music playing. Felt dead and dated inside. I found a package of underwear that I wear and it was $18.99. I just bought some on Amazon for $11.99. Then I walked out.

Old 03-01-2018, 03:30 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
You don't get full-time employees if consumers don't value a live person over a screen. Employees cost money, yet consumers don't want to spend extra money to have a person.
That is the other side of the coin. Every day, I spend a lot of time helping a customer, tell them all about some product they are thinking of buying, and then they shoot a picture of it and say they are "going to go home and think about it." I know what they will be doing is going on line to find the same product cheaper, even after we did all the leg work.

Some are even brash enough to tell you that is what they are going to do !

Old 03-01-2018, 05:46 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
I had worked retail. Absolutely I encouraged folks to spend their money wisely. Never begged em' or hard sell them. Will say most appreciated that level of fairness. Who cares if they were just browsing. I'm as guilty as the next trying on clothes and buying them in store . I like feeling that the product I'm getting fits. Can't do that online...

The govt doesn't even say what 'hours' constitute full time.
So if they can't determine...then a business will.
Ours is 'anything' under 40 hours is part time. It's hilarious as I've been down this path and understand he who makes the rules...gives the gold. But a few co workers are up in arms that they get 20 hrs per week.I just go...ahhh you want my 16 that I got allotted? They either get sullen or eagerly say sure! Clearly they lack intuitiveness when a person is being contrary

Old 03-01-2018, 09:55 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times
I once attended a talk given by an older gentleman who had actually worked for J.C. Penney himself in one of the original stores. So fascinating.

The main thing I remember from his talk was that Mr. Penney had a policy to never have "sales" (times when merchandise is priced very low) in his stores, because he wanted people to know that the merchandise in his stores was always priced at the lowest price possible.

Tell modern day J.C. Penney stores that!

Oh, I also remember that the gentleman told of working there in the days when a salesperson would put the payment in a tube and then would send it via pneumatic lift to a cashier on the upper floor, and the cashier would send it back down with the change (like in a bank drive thru now) So salespeople never actually handled the cash.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:08 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Someone in that position probably shouldn't have been busy making themselves more and more expensive while delivering no more value. This is exactly what happens with "Fight for 15!" and demands that employees should all have full health care with no contributions, pensions, etc. They become very expensive, and JC Penny cannot raise prices to pay more and more for what's effectively grunt labor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Well, maybe those companies should've "bettered themselves", rather than spending money on iPhone X's they didn't need, eating out every night, living within their means. Nah, this sort of statement is directed to the individual, but it's not that hard to flip it towards employers

You forgot spending all their money on smokes, booze, and avocado toast. Must have toast!!!

Old 03-02-2018, 03:34 AM

251 posts, read 204,126 times
Jesus. When I hear JC Penny's I think 90's at the latest in terms of their prime. I am surprised all but the big ones haven't been shuttered yet. I have not shopped there for any clothing in over 7-10 years. Their inventory was OK but to be honest most times their prices were not as competitive. In the Northeast and NYC in particular Daffy's beat their prices with better inventory for Men's business wear as well as casual.

Now when H&M came around with more locations in the mid 2000s and recently now Uniqlo etc I'm surprised JC Penny still gets any customers under the age of 45 in most major cities in the Northeast. I know they probably still have a presence in the NJ outlet malls.

Old 03-02-2018, 03:39 AM

251 posts, read 204,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Some are even brash enough to tell you that is what they are going to do !
Clothing will be the hardest to move online fully because clothing manufacturers make a variety of "styles" that don't necessarily fit everyone the same. At the same time less people will be required. If anything only security for the try-on booths and that's it.

For anyone who thinks they can continue to make a living in physical retail in 2018 needs their head examined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment