Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 10:02 PM

19 posts, read 16,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
But even Amazon is laying off distribution workers as they automate. Its weird because some people are hired with the express understanding that their job is to develop systems to eliminate employees.
There are also ppl building and designing robots that will one day hunt and kill americans, among others. Yet, ppl will sell their souls to the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 10:07 PM

19 posts, read 16,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
While I love Amazon too I still go to support the brick and mortar stores, people's livelihoods are at risk here. If I need a pair of shoes I go and try them on, returns via online purchases are a pain in the neck. I'm a JC Penny shopper because they have the dress shirts with the expandable collars that are so much more comfortable.
So you're doing some save the world shopping?
Aren't you the humanitarian. I think they call this virtue signaling. Try learning how to form a coherent sentence first. Then you can save the retail slaves.

Old 03-02-2018, 10:51 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,918,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Less than a third of the nation currently has a bachelor's degree.

Census Finds Bachelor
And even that is too much already. That's why you see so many college grads working in low wage jobs or in jobs that really don't require a degree to be able to do. After all, the entire point of the "college for all" movement is just a ploy to lower wages.

Old 03-02-2018, 11:40 PM

269 posts, read 246,702 times
I'm surprised JCPenney's survived this long. I was an employee straight out of high school, so around 1987 or so. JCPenney's is one of my worst employers ever.

Old 03-03-2018, 04:47 AM

4,949 posts, read 2,703,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
More like a well-worn playbook to destroy customer service. A part timer is typically going to be less experienced, less knowledgeable and less likely to give a carp.
But will be paid less. And that today is the name of the game. Who cares that they know less and don't care?

Old 03-03-2018, 05:46 AM

19,770 posts, read 9,319,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGTOWGhost View Post
There are also ppl building and designing robots that will one day hunt and kill americans, among others. Yet, ppl will sell their souls to the end.
Link?

Old 03-03-2018, 07:16 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,650,159 times
Like Sears, JC Penny also looks like you just entered it through the WABAC Machine...only Sears is much worse.

Old 03-03-2018, 07:32 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,486,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
Give a carp?

The aquatic version of a land crap.
Poop is the amphibious version

The JCP make everyone a part timer is nothing more than let’s save money we don’t need full time workers. One manager per department can make the schedule

Old 03-03-2018, 09:06 AM

1,248 posts, read 4,055,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
JCPenney is turning to a well-worn playbook to improve customer service during key shopping days, The Post has learned. The department store will convert full-time employees to part-time positions — and hire more part-timers — in order to allow it to flood the floor with employees during key weekend days, sources said. Starting March 11, shoppers will find more associates in the stores over the weekend and other busy times as part of the staffing makeover.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/m/a7...full-time.html

The ue rate is 4.1 % and more high paying jobs than low paying jobs have been created since the end of the last recession. I don't understand why in this job market you have so many un ambitious adults who have no desire to attain better skills and education to do what it takes to get a high paying meaning in the six figures career

Old 03-03-2018, 09:08 AM

1,248 posts, read 4,055,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Here is the reality of retail stores. They can not control the cost of their inventory. They can not control the cost of rent. They can not control other costs, like electric, etc. The ONLY thing they can control is salaries.

If retail stores could figure out a way to run their operations with one part time employee, they would be thrilled. They say they want to provide good customer service, but they expect that to come with too few people on the floor, and employees who get less than 40 per week.

Retail doesn't need many employees, they are going the way of full service gas station attendants. Retail customer service has really declined over the years but I attribute that to the low unemployment rate and dearth of applicants for an $18 an hour job
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment