Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 09:02 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,620,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Someone in that position probably shouldn't have been busy making themselves more and more expensive while delivering no more value. This is exactly what happens with "Fight for 15!" and demands that employees should all have full health care with no contributions, pensions, etc. They become very expensive, and JC Penny cannot raise prices to pay more and more for what's effectively grunt labor.
Could you possibly know less about the difference a good salesperson makes for a retailer? They aren't just mindless grunts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 09:13 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,200,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Could you possibly know less about the difference a good salesperson makes for a retailer? They aren't just mindless grunts.
Key word being "good". In my experience, the vast majority of salespersons are not good, at least at the retail level. Truly good salespersons are not concerned with base hourly pay.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmidnight View Post
JCP, Sears, Kmart are all running on fumes. Within the next decade (five years maybe?) all of them could be gone.

I was at a local mall (which is also running on fumes. 20 tenants left) and went in the JCP. I only looked around the first floor but I saw two employees plus myself. I didn't even hear any music playing. Felt dead and dated inside. I found a package of underwear that I wear and it was $18.99. I just bought some on Amazon for $11.99. Then I walked out.
Unlike JCP, Sears, Kmart, and all the other legacy B&M stores, Amazon doesn't NEED to make a profit on that pack of underwear, they have an unlimited line to billions in venture capital. Once you help them eliminate the JCPenney's of the world, they will thank you by jacking up the prices to whatever they like to meet earnings projections.

Old 03-03-2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
The ue rate is 4.1 % and more high paying jobs than low paying jobs have been created since the end of the last recession. I don't understand why in this job market you have so many un ambitious adults who have no desire to attain better skills and education to do what it takes to get a high paying meaning in the six figures career
As if the unemployment rate isn't set by politicians. Throw in the people who have given up on ever finding a job after years of applying and it tells a very different story.

Old 03-04-2018, 06:16 AM

11,292 posts, read 18,870,511 times
My wife works for Michael's they've been doing this for years..... (sigh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
The ue rate is 4.1 % and more high paying jobs than low paying jobs have been created since the end of the last recession. I don't understand why in this job market you have so many un ambitious adults who have no desire to attain better skills and education to do what it takes to get a high paying meaning in the six figures career
Because:

A) Many people just don't have the ability to do those jobs, sorry, but not everyone can be a doctor, lawyer, Online Security Expert or some sort of Engineer, etc.

B) Attaining those better skills and education often require a lot more money than people have. And the time commitment involved in that education involves working even less while learning, so even less money at hand that is needed just to survive. Unlike most of the civilized world, here in America we take a "you're on your own, tough crap" attitude and don't have enough programs to assist people with this. Sometimes in places like California and the Northeast they do, but even relative to what the rest of the world does it is usually inadequate.

C) Most of those six figure jobs involve enormous time commitments well beyond the so called "normal" workweek of "40 hours with occasional overtime". We should not be a society where everyone is expected to devote their every waking hour to work. And many, I would even say a majority of people cannot make that kind of commitment anyway, they have children, elders to take care of, etc. Are we saying that people should not have families? Maybe (again, like most of the rest of the civilized world) we should have programs that help with that to (i.e. subsidized day care), instead of child care for full-time workers rivaling one's rent/mortgage payment (while still paying child care workers barely above minimum wage).

What you are calling "unambitious" more often than not is simply "being human".

Last edited by 7 Wishes; 03-04-2018 at 06:25 AM..

Old 03-04-2018, 08:25 AM

383 posts, read 429,596 times
Breaks my heart to read this. Breaks my heart. I just placed an order with JCP--half pick-up in store, half "pick-up."

JCP is my favorite, absolute favorite, retail store. Has been for more years than I care to count. If you want to read a heartbreaking story about older workers, older towns, and JCP, please read this: http://https://www.washingtonpost.co...=.0579a4c47366

Love, JCPenneys. I'll be there this afternoon. You have the BEST full-timers in the world. The BEST. Please keep them full-time.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:33 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neerwhal View Post
It's going to be like servants and slavery for the upper classes.

The working and middle classes will be gone. It will just be lower classes, merchant classes, guilds (particularly for IT and the arts), and the upper classes that own money and land and pass goodwill around through salaries. But real income is through ownership just like 1,000 years ago.

There will be no value in labor.
yep, it's been talked about by economists for years, it's called neo-feudalism. A return to the good old days when you would be hung for shooting a dear on the royal hunting grounds.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:36 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplecow View Post
Breaks my heart to read this. Breaks my heart. I just placed an order with JCP--half pick-up in store, half "pick-up."

JCP is my favorite, absolute favorite, retail store. Has been for more years than I care to count. If you want to read a heartbreaking story about older workers, older towns, and JCP, please read this: http://https://www.washingtonpost.co...=.0579a4c47366

Love, JCPenneys. I'll be there this afternoon. You have the BEST full-timers in the world. The BEST. Please keep them full-time.
Full time jobs will become the exclusive domain of high paid workers. The real damage comes in the loss of benefits, the loss of employer provided healthcare can financially ruin a family.

Old 03-04-2018, 10:06 AM

779 posts, read 471,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
Give a carp?
I think you're smart enough to figure out what was being said.

Old 03-04-2018, 11:53 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,659,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Retail clerks are not in sales. You do not know what sales is. If someone points to a widget and says, "I'll take that one", and you hand it to them and ring it up, you have not sold anything. You effectively were a mindless grunt, because you're in the process of being replaced by apps and robots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment