Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 08:40 PM

189 posts, read 172,299 times

Advertisements

I’ve been sending resumes to many sales support and customer service positions on Indeed and Zip Recruiter. At least 30 posting in the last few days and my husband keeps saying I’m “not doing anything”. And I should have several interview lined up by now. How can I have interviews lined up if nobody is responding? My resume is professional and all my jobs are long term. 3 years (the one I’m at now), 5 years, 7 years. Many of my friends can’t find jobs either and all my husband keeps saying is there are hundreds of jobs and I should be getting many calls so I must “not being doing anything”. I said it might be because I don’t have a degree but he said that has nothing to do with it. He makes me feel so frustrated and like a loser. What else can I do? He tells me to take few days off and go to the unemployment office and they have all the “resources” to help me find a new job. Why would I take a few days off to spend at an unemployment office when everything is done online? I need to save those days off to interview if I ever get any. When the economy is bad I still got calls. Now, nothing. But of course my husband keeps telling me I’m doing nothing and he’d have like 10 interview lined up if he wanted them.
Also do you think not having a degree hurts me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 09:46 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian75 View Post
I’ve been sending resumes to many sales support and customer service positions on Indeed and Zip Recruiter. At least 30 posting in the last few days and my husband keeps saying I’m “not doing anything”. And I should have several interview lined up by now. How can I have interviews lined up if nobody is responding? My resume is professional and all my jobs are long term. 3 years (the one I’m at now), 5 years, 7 years. Many of my friends can’t find jobs either and all my husband keeps saying is there are hundreds of jobs and I should be getting many calls so I must “not being doing anything”. I said it might be because I don’t have a degree but he said that has nothing to do with it. He makes me feel so frustrated and like a loser. What else can I do? He tells me to take few days off and go to the unemployment office and they have all the “resources” to help me find a new job. Why would I take a few days off to spend at an unemployment office when everything is done online? I need to save those days off to interview if I ever get any. When the economy is bad I still got calls. Now, nothing. But of course my husband keeps telling me I’m doing nothing and he’d have like 10 interview lined up if he wanted them.
Also do you think not having a degree hurts me?
Yes, the degree can serve as a cutoff point in the resume "pile."

From everything else you've written, though, you should consider using whatever resources are available to find a better husband as well. The one you have is doing a terrible job.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:53 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Low end jobs get a lot of applicants. Why are you applying for such positions?

Old 03-01-2018, 04:27 AM

107 posts, read 85,769 times
if a job is advertised, it will get many responses thus the competition can make chances of an interview very little.

apply for jobs not advertised. Example- If your skills are waitresing, go directly to the restaurants. A big chain, apply online. If they are currently advertising on CL, Monster, Indeed...etc don't expect a response.

Go directly to the source because what you are doing isn't working. It takes more effort than just hitting the send button but you will likely have less competition so more chance your resume will be read. Good luck

Old 03-01-2018, 05:24 AM

189 posts, read 172,299 times
I’ve gone on company websites also.

Last edited by Adrian75; 03-01-2018 at 06:11 AM..

Old 03-01-2018, 06:52 AM

4,968 posts, read 2,711,215 times
Ask your husband what "not doing anything" means. Have him outline everything that he would do if he was looking for a job. Show him what you have done and have him add in specific language of what else you should be doing. I suspect that he won't be able to add anything to your list and even if he does, by your listing to him of your actions, you will prove to him that you are NOT "not doing anything".

Old 03-01-2018, 07:08 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
On topic, I found my two of my last three jobs off of Craigslist, one off Indeed. I get interviews or offers on Indeed, but I've only gotten a couple offers off it.

I still use it when looking for work in addition to Craigslist though

Old 03-01-2018, 07:50 AM

2,039 posts, read 4,554,950 times
I'm in the same boat as the OP as far as responses to my applications. Four months unemployed and only two interviews that went nowhere. I have submitted 10-15 resumes a week. I have only received maybe 4 or 5 "thanks for your resume, but you're not what we're looking for" responses. I have never been unemployed before. Previously, I would look for a job while I had one. Never sent out more than a few resumes and always had a job within a couple weeks. Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of leisurely looking for a job as before since my last position was terminated (which has never happened to me before either).

However, I am now over 50, no degree, and my distaste for a long commute is limiting me. I also was making 21/hr and most jobs I am seeing are offering 12-14/hr and wanting a degree. I am beyond frustrated. Luckily, my SO is basically supportive and hasn't made any snide comments (yet) about me sitting around the house drawing unemployment.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:21 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,662,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian75 View Post
I’ve been sending resumes to many sales support and customer service positions on Indeed and Zip Recruiter. At least 30 posting in the last few days and my husband keeps saying I’m “not doing anything”. And I should have several interview lined up by now. How can I have interviews lined up if nobody is responding?
Sending resumes to email addresses that are almost certainly fed into an algorithm somewhere is a waste of time.

You need to be networking. You need to be contacting recruiters and "insiders". Get off of Indeed and get on LinkedIn. Build a network.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:06 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
I completely understand. I lost my job in October of 2015 and my boyfriend (now ex) who was an engineer was flabbergasted by my lack of job offers the second I lost the first one. I counted resumes after I found a job and counted about 65 resumes that I sent out. I ended up getting two interviews in a week and took the second job and have been here for the last two and a half years. I was lucky and by no means bragging because I have a very specialized degree, but that pain of people saying "You're not doing anything." is the worst. Where do you live? Have you only been looking in one specific area? Expanding your geography may help a bit if that's an option. Read over qualifications very carefully. Reword your resume to the words in the job description so if it is going to an algorithm they can catch it. The unemployment office does suck. I have gone one time and that was in like 2011. But, here's the deal, you find that one person who can help you and they will be your best friend and refer you to other organizations. Where I am at they work directly with other staffing agencies. Speaking of staffing agencies, how about temp agencies? Unfortunately, it sounds like your area of expertise is pretty narrow and that it may be tough to find. I'm sorry you're going through this, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment