Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 12:44 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
There is so much technology for people to be dispersed around the country yet we have the 2 golden coasts that have all the 80% of the well paying jobs in the country.

The political side is many tech companies are hostage to tax deals in order to keep jobs at sanctuary states in order to keep proppoing up the democrats liberal agenda of feeding the illegal and the poor.
Your political screeds don't help the simple fact that people knowingly take jobs that will never support their desired lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 01:09 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,823,491 times
WTF does it have to do with Disney? I live in LA and it's super expensive and getting worse. So is OC. Most Starbucks workers can't afford it here, most Whole Foods workers, most Walmart workers, most teachers, most police officers ...insert whatever profession you want. It's becoming an area for wealthy. And yet I see millions of people that do afford to live here by getting roomates, living with family and not frivolously spending

Old 03-02-2018, 01:49 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,287,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
If I were one of the union members I would be asking UNITE HERE some hard questions and pressing them to negotiate a better deal. Unfortunately too many union members blindly pay their dues and don't think they need to participate in improving their working conditions.

UNITE HERE sounds like a weak union that is more beholden to Disney than it's members.

Sometimes members have to take things into their own hands.
depends on the industry. my wife pays close to $200/month but she is in an industry where the pay is really good and the employer couldn't easily find replacements. even with that union dues, they still beat the closest competitor in terms of pay

in Disneyland, there are a lot of potential employees willing to get into Disney if these employees threaten to strike

Old 03-02-2018, 01:53 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Well, pretty much EVERY life requires a minimum salary of $85k over here. But why should Disneyworkers with no college education earn more than $37k if lots of people who put in the effort of obtaining a degree and have more skills to offer earn not much either?

The problem is that housing and groceries are too expensive.
Right. The high cost of living there is not any one company's fault or responsibility.

I'll bet few of those Disney workers could afford living expenses BEFORE they started that Disney job, either.

Old 03-02-2018, 03:06 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,553,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
depends on the industry. my wife pays close to $200/month but she is in an industry where the pay is really good and the employer couldn't easily find replacements. even with that union dues, they still beat the closest competitor in terms of pay

in Disneyland, there are a lot of potential employees willing to get into Disney if these employees threaten to strike
They need to run for union office, and depose their current "leaders".

The Teamsters for a Democratic Union (TDU) almost displaced Jimmy Hoffa. And that's facing intimidation and threats from the union leadership and even other members. I mean they came really close. It's hard work, but it's possible to get rid of inept leaders. People have to...organize. Even if they fail the effort alone and coerce leadership to change direction.

If my local union was spending more time and resources for the "fight for $15" for the rest of the country more than they were fighting to secure $30 for me, I'd be royally pissed.

Old 03-02-2018, 04:23 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
Quote:

The Teamsters for a Democratic Union (TDU) almost displaced Jimmy Hoffa. And that's facing intimidation and threats from the union leadership and even other members. I mean they came really close. It's hard work, but it's possible to get rid of inept leaders. People have to...organize. Even if they fail the effort alone and coerce leadership to change direction.

If my local union was spending more time and resources for the "fight for $15" for the rest of the country more than they were fighting to secure $30 for me, I'd be royally pissed.
This^^^^
Sadly Some Unions are doing that, and its a disservice to their own Union Members

Old 03-02-2018, 05:30 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,587,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
There is so much technology for people to be dispersed around the country yet we have the 2 golden coasts that have all the 80% of the well paying jobs in the country.

The political side is many tech companies are hostage to tax deals in order to keep jobs at sanctuary states in order to keep proppoing up the democrats liberal agenda of feeding the illegal and the poor.
I'm sure it's that way by design, to make it easier to control us.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:32 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,587,826 times
Quote:
If I were one of the union members I would be asking UNITE HERE some hard questions and pressing them to negotiate a better deal. Unfortunately too many union members blindly pay their dues and don't think they need to participate in improving their working conditions.

UNITE HERE sounds like a weak union that is more beholden to Disney than it's members.

Sometimes members have to take things into their own hands.
I found UNITE HERE on a list of those pushing for open borders, Dreamers, etc. Apparently they care more about workers if they are illegal aliens.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:12 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,139 times
Quote:

But that's the crux of unions... all of these well-meaning people "organize", then the folks who get elected to leadership wind up seeing big pots of money, but in dues and in various kickbacks from politicians in return for bribes, err "campaign contributions". They always devolve into corruption, because of the same fatal conceit that makes some believe government employees are somehow noble and selfless and interested only in the common good.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:28 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,553,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
But that's the crux of unions... all of these well-meaning people "organize", then the folks who get elected to leadership wind up seeing big pots of money, but in dues and in various kickbacks from politicians in return for bribes, err "campaign contributions". They always devolve into corruption, because of the same fatal conceit that makes some believe government employees are somehow noble and selfless and interested only in the common good.
There are laws that protect union members from predatory leaders.

My union is not strong, but I have faith in our leadership. They raised dues to pay off the building expenses to 5%. Well the building got paid off, so what did they do? They let the member ship decide whether or not to reduce the percentage, first to 4.5%, then to 4%, now to 3.5%.

We have a right as members to see the accounting books. They report on the money every month anyway.

It ain't the strongest local, but as far as I can tell they're honest, and we've gotten raises every 6 months for the past 5 years I've been in.

But lets be real, how many non-profit and for-profit businesses have been used to launder money?

Corruption is not inherent in unions, corruption is inherent where there is money.

I can vote out my union leaders (we have elections), but I can't vote out my boss or CEO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment