Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 09:48 AM
JH6 JH6 started this thread

1,435 posts, read 3,217,258 times

Advertisements

Need some advise from the group regarding an internal candidate interview coming up in a couple weeks.

I have worked in the same position for several years. Lets call this job "Level 1".

I have done excellent at this job for 5 years, always get excellent annual appraisals, and have earned educational certifications related to the job.

A year ago, we hired on another person who is at the same level as me. This person is condescending, acts like he knows everything, and is known to be rude to clients. However he is good friends with my departmental director.

My main problem with this co-worker is that he does not do his "Level 1" job, he insists on doing the "Level 2" job. He has been talked to by his direct supervisor, and told that he needs to do his own job and not ones above him.

Meanwhile I am grinding it out, doing the work of two people at the "Level 1" job, while he messes around and thinks he is some super high end employee.

Anyways, a job posting came up for this "Level 2" job, and both of us have applied.

What are some good lines to use to express that I am a loyal employee, work within my scope of work, and am willing to learn, but also follows rules of the organization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 10:37 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,783,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JH6 View Post
What are some good lines to use to express that I am a loyal employee, work within my scope of work, and am willing to learn, but also follows rules of the organization.
Stay with what you wrote, don't be saying "I stay within the lines, not like Mr. Snotty" do not speak of the other candidate. Tout your abilities only....

Old 03-06-2018, 10:51 AM

192 posts, read 131,057 times
You want this job right? Gonna have to get your hands dirty. Try the following:

Squirt an entire bottle of visine into his coffee the day of his interview.

Put a thumbtack in his chair.

Find examples of his incompetence and "accidentally" CC the supervisor of the level 2 work in numerous emails.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:14 AM

4,961 posts, read 2,708,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Stay with what you wrote, don't be saying "I stay within the lines, not like Mr. Snotty" do not speak of the other candidate. Tout your abilities only....
Yes!

Old 03-06-2018, 11:16 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,984,909 times
The hiring manager will end up hiring his/her nephew or friend doing “level 0” work from outside the company. Just watch

Reality is, no one cares about a hard working, dependable, loyal employee anymore. Those days are long gone

If it just between you two, you may get overlooked because you are just that (hardworking dependable, loyal). Those people are generally glossed over. The last good for nothing that’s in the bosses ear all day gets the nod. Connections trump performance every time. And most times laziness trumps hard work. Lazy people aren’t deemed a threat

I learned that lesson 2-3 years ago after quality Management was let go or forced into early retirement and replaced with crap for Management. So these screwed up, mismanaged places have basically turned me into a “clock puncher” because unless you get a quality manager(rare today) your value and hard work is just ignored anyways and taken for granted

Last edited by DorianRo; 03-06-2018 at 11:26 AM..

Old 03-06-2018, 01:00 PM

1,104 posts, read 919,241 times
Don't mean to bust your bubble here, but we're talking "Aggressive and ambitious personality which focuses on results" (them) versus "Passive and polite personality which focuses on taking orders" (you). This is an extremely competitive market. Want to take a guess on who's getting hired?

You may think that "grinding it out" is some kind of special achievement in work. Stop it! One of the most important skills for a senior position is the ability to delegate and assign responsibility. You might have the industry skill, but why are you taking on extra workloads when you shouldn't? That's not impressive - that proves you are just a pushover and unreliable with power.

I'm not trying to be harsh or nasty. If anything, I wish this advice had been given to me a long time ago. Companies like tough guys to generate confidence, establish identity, and employ initiatives to disillusioned staff. Basically people like strong leaders. They want people who aren't afraid to be rude or condescending. They don't want someone who takes on other peoples' workloads because they're too afraid to stand up for themselves - that's not manager material. If anything, that's someone destined to stay right at the bottom, for a long time.

Old 03-06-2018, 02:01 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,984,909 times
Well look at how many people that attain the power positions in corporate America that are unreiiable with power themselves once they get that spot? Sure in the short term the "tough guy" routine may generate those short term results, but long term these bullies just run everyone off. You still have to have industry knowledge of what the hell is going on.

I don't care how much of an "aggressive' personality you are. If you don't know what the hell you're doing, you don't know what the hell you're doing. And if you have to many of these nuts running around, you can rest assured the future of your business will take a turn for the worst.

If the OP is a valuable piece of manpower force, if he doesn't get the job, I would see no reason why he should stay. You're value can be used somewhere else where someone will APPRECIATE IT for a change.

The "show ponies" are a dime a dozen. These people that "serve the 2nd course of the last supper" can't BS forever. They have to produce. And you're only as good as your team if you're a manager. What happens when your team leaves?

Old 03-06-2018, 02:16 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Need some advise from the group regarding an internal candidate interview coming up in a couple weeks.

I have worked in the same position for several years. Lets call this job "Level 1".

I have done excellent at this job for 5 years, always get excellent annual appraisals, and have earned educational certifications related to the job.

A year ago, we hired on another person who is at the same level as me. This person is condescending, acts like he knows everything, and is known to be rude to clients. However he is good friends with my departmental director.

My main problem with this co-worker is that he does not do his "Level 1" job, he insists on doing the "Level 2" job. He has been talked to by his direct supervisor, and told that he needs to do his own job and not ones above him.

Meanwhile I am grinding it out, doing the work of two people at the "Level 1" job, while he messes around and thinks he is some super high end employee.

Anyways, a job posting came up for this "Level 2" job, and both of us have applied.

OK, you've described the do-gooder and the evil twin. As we don't know how ethical or "fair" the interviewers will be, how much they value different skills or attitudes we can't really predict which way they might fall. My inclination would be to show them that even though you don't "mess around" with the Level 2 stuff like the evil twin you described does, you know what it takes to take on the level 2 job. Its one thing to remind them that you do YOUR work, do it well, know your place, but you also have to show them that you can transfer all your experience to the new level if given the chance. No childish spiteful pranks should be required. If the evil twin gets rewarded for their behavior, at least you know you didn't lower yourself in order impress people who value that sort of c*&%p. If you end up staying where you are at least you are employed. No one can take that away.

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-06-2018 at 02:50 PM..

Old 03-06-2018, 04:18 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,364,321 times
Its about who you know. I would imagine he gets the job. Not because he is more competent, but because he is friends. So apply, focus on you and what you bring, and hope for the best. But if you don't get it...don't stress. If he cant handle the job at all eventually that will open up again.

Old 03-06-2018, 04:40 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,661,501 times
Quote:

They either see your value, or they don't. If they don't, there's nothing you can do about it other than go somewhere where you will be recognized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment