Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 11:42 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,457,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
Did you bother reading the OP? He's referring to a job that changes a few weeks or months in. In other words, it's not the job you applied to, interviewed for, and accepted.

Obviously, nobody should expect their role to remain the same after several years. But misleading job descriptions are a significant concern for many job seekers. Companies do this so they can attract talent, and have little regard for your satisfaction in the role that you accepted. They just assume once they got you, they got you locked in for X years. It's deceitful hiring practices, and quite frankly, pretty unethical IMO.

Time to put yourself in their shoes. Would you be happy if the Senior System Admin position you just accepted turned out to be nothing more than a glorified help desk support role?
Ever heard of the word "reorg?" Things change and it could happen after one month or five years down the line. The OP has choices. Choose to stay or go. The company didn't do anything wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 01:03 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,721,623 times
This often happens when an employer hires someone, and finds they really are not that good at their job no matter what the employee thinks, and give them duties they feel are better suited to the employee.

The employer, balances their needs to get the different jobs done, with the least number of employees. Sometimes you have to switch an employee around 3 or 4 times before they find the niche where they will be the most productive as far as the employer is concerned.

There other alternative is to just lay off the less than perfect employee, and hire someone else to fill the position.

We see people on this tread, that are blaming the employer for mistreating an employee. They fail to see that the possibility that the reason the employee is given lesser duties to an employee, is that in the employers opinion they need to move the employee to other duties they are better qualified to handle.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:06 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,131,848 times
I would think that if you left a great job to take a new one that promised (in writing ?) to be much better, but turns out to be much worse, and you lose position, pay, esteem, opportunity, etc... because of the move and can prove it, you could always sue.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:11 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,582,270 times
What the OP meant is that if you signed up for a jr admin role and it suddenly, a few days in, turns out to be a senior admin role (with jr. level pay) that was labled as Jr. level and the duties were all misleading on the job description when you applied, then YES you should be able to sue.

Would be no different than if you bought a Ferrari (and paid the price for one too) and then when you showed up on the lot, they gave you a Ford instead.

Old 03-08-2018, 02:08 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,470,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Ever heard of the word "reorg?" Things change and it could happen after one month or five years down the line. The OP has choices. Choose to stay or go. The company didn't do anything wrong.
READ SLOWLY WHAT I AM TYPING TO YOU...COMPREHEND IT..BEFORE JUMPING TO CONCLUSIONS AS YOU OFTEN DO...

As a matter of fact, yes. I have been through plenty of re-orgs and mergers. I didn't say that it's wrong for a role to change in those events. But there are also times where a hiring manager or company puts together a job description without any real thought about what the role should entail. I've been hired into roles where the job description and interview process lead to a completely different idea of what the role was going to be.

I was once hired as a Senior Analyst for a major HCP. The job description looked very interesting and versatile. I thought I was going to be doing a lot of different projects and analytics/reporting. Even the interview had a segment where I was to formulate a conclusion based off of data analysis and then explain how I got there. The job ended up consisting of 95% document review and making sure appropriate fields were filled out correctly. I was doing the same role as my co-worker who was two positions below mine. It was one of the most monotonous jobs I've ever had. So yeah, I quit after eight months of realizing that the job was never going to be what I expected.

Old 03-08-2018, 02:21 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,457,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
READ SLOWLY WHAT I AM TYPING TO YOU...COMPREHEND IT..BEFORE JUMPING TO CONCLUSIONS AS YOU OFTEN DO...

As a matter of fact, yes. I have been through plenty of re-orgs and mergers. I didn't say that it's wrong for a role to change in those events. But there are also times where a hiring manager or company puts together a job description without any real thought about what the role should entail. I've been hired into roles where the job description and interview process lead to a completely different idea of what the role was going to be.

I was once hired as a Senior Analyst for a major HCP. The job description looked very interesting and versatile. I thought I was going to be doing a lot of different projects and analytics/reporting. Even the interview had a segment where I was to formulate a conclusion based off of data analysis and then explain how I got there. The job ended up consisting of 95% document review and making sure appropriate fields were filled out correctly. I was doing the same role as my co-worker who was two positions below mine. It was one of the most monotonous jobs I've ever had. So yeah, I quit after eight months of realizing that the job was never going to be what I expected.
There are a ton of crappy job descriptions. Bottom line: OP can quit or not quit. Sue or don't sue. It's the OPs future.

Old 03-08-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
There are a ton of crappy job descriptions. Bottom line: OP can quit or not quit. Sue or don't sue. It's the OPs future.
I would not advise suing for this, just FYI. It's a complete waste of time and money. Personally, I think it's time for OP to jump ship. You win some and you lose some.

Old 03-08-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
This often happens when an employer hires someone, and finds they really are not that good at their job no matter what the employee thinks, and give them duties they feel are better suited to the employee.

The employer, balances their needs to get the different jobs done, with the least number of employees. Sometimes you have to switch an employee around 3 or 4 times before they find the niche where they will be the most productive as far as the employer is concerned.

There other alternative is to just lay off the less than perfect employee, and hire someone else to fill the position.

We see people on this tread, that are blaming the employer for mistreating an employee. They fail to see that the possibility that the reason the employee is given lesser duties to an employee, is that in the employers opinion they need to move the employee to other duties they are better qualified to handle.
Oh c'mon, this is a dumb excuse.

Why is it NEVER the employer's fault for being negligent? I notice there are always a handful of posters who are ardent defenders of employers, no matter what negligent or unethical practices they partake in.

An OP could explain how a company caused the death of a client while providing blatant evidence, and you'd still have the same handful of posters on this forum who will relentlessly and blindly defend the employer till the end for their actions.

I mean, c'mon. Be reasonable. Even if a hiring manager hired someone who was not a good fit, then it's still the employer's fault for having shoddy hiring practices in this case. Take responsibility for your actions.

Old 03-08-2018, 03:28 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,702,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Job roles change, the work changes, management changes. It’s all a normal part of working life, and certainly legal. It’s almost always covered by that last line in the job description: “and other duties as assigned.”

+1 Are you new to the work force, such as newly out of school? This is very common and I can't see any lawyer that would take a case that involved suing for switching a role of an employee unless you paid him a HUGE retainer which would result in nothing being done.

Old 03-08-2018, 05:20 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,239,009 times
That’s not bait and switch. It’s called changing roles/responsibilities and it happens constantly in the ever evolving world of business. Seems like every promotion I received came with a job description that ultimately hardly resembled the actual job I was expected to perform. Never bothered me because I understood that workplace change is inevitable, and if you don’t change with it you’ll get left behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment