Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 04:30 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,138,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Probably encouraged by leadership. Contrary to popular belief (the deniers), most hiring managers already have someone chosen these days when they post the job. Or else they can't find an adequate candidate and they will come and ask you directly. At least if its internally.

Its a rigged system for the most part. The Ones with the "in" just bypass all the hoops while everyone else gets table scraps
This is very true, they will actually craft/edit the job description to match skills and qualifications of the candidate already chosen has just in case it’s challenged so they can say this was the criteria we are looking for.

For example legally they might need to advertise the vacancy and give you an interview but if your not the prechoosen candidate, the very act of applying might annoy the leadership and lead to some sort of retaliation down the line.

They will conduct a Sham interview, so they can say at least gave you a chance, and the prechoosen will be coached and encouraged before the interview by a senior manager.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 09:35 AM

1,110 posts, read 895,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobseeker2013 View Post
How does it work? Let's say there is an opening, do I Apply or would I be encouraged by leadership. I have had 2 solid reviews and an internal opening was filled by going through Robert Half. Why was an outsider selected and not someone internally like me. The position was not even advertised.
It sounds as though they wanted a specific person, and used the Robert Half method to get them. However, if a job is advertised, even though it might be rigged, put in for it anyway. If you do not apply, you will never get considered. I have seen on more than one occasion where the original favored intended gets picked, and then departs. I have also seen instances where employees have been encouraged to apply, but someone else is selected. You can never tell...

Old 03-09-2018, 11:59 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobseeker2013 View Post
Could be. I don't know the reasons. It just seems strange.

I would ask your immediate supervisor. They should know and should be able to explain to you. My thinking is that they felt no one internally was qualified for the position so they looked externally to fill it.

Old 03-09-2018, 02:15 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,851,777 times
2 reasons why people get promoted:
1) You're the best to fill a need above your level.
2) You're so good they will promote you to keep you from leaving.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:58 PM

618 posts, read 938,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I would ask your immediate supervisor. They should know and should be able to explain to you. My thinking is that they felt no one internally was qualified for the position so they looked externally to fill it.
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment