Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 03:30 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,799,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis32801 View Post
So, I accepted the official offer with the Army in SA. They sent me the PCS travel orders to arrange the move, TEQS, per diem, etc. And my EOD is April 30.

In the meanwhile, my dad down in florida had a near fatal heart attack, requiring triple bypass surgery. I have been flying down for support, while taking care of packing and preparing for my move to SA.

To complicate matters, my current supervisor today (Saturday) texted me saying she received a call from NASA regarding me. I interviewed with NASA last week and they asked if they can contact my supervisor if I was selected. Obviously working for NASA will be right next to my ailing parents (especially my ailing dad).

Obviously I can do what ever I want, and its business, but are there any repercussions for telling the Army I changed my mind? other then probably being blacklisted for future hire from them if I ever apply. Im planning to call them personally to be honest with them.

I think I would have like living in SA and work for the Army, especially with their generous PCS package (assist with buying a house!), but I would seem selfish not being close to my parents and helping my little brother out.
Tough situation, but not one you could predict. I doubt you would be blacklisted for changing your mind. Life happens while we were planning something else.

OTOH, have you and your brother talked in depth about how you can still help with your dad if you stay in SA? The situation there could well stabilize and level out fairly soon (unless you happen to know otherwise). You could help take the pressure off your brother even remotely. It might not be the dealbreaker you think it is right now. I know, I know, the NASA thing is complicating it. You still HAVE the concrete offer in SA and you DON'T have an offer from NASA. That situation hasn't changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2018, 05:06 PM

269 posts, read 181,295 times
I think my younger brother is itching to move too, and feels bad leaving my parents with no other siblings nearby. True for NASA, no tentative offer yet, but obviously a very good sign that I likely receive one.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:07 PM

12,837 posts, read 9,041,939 times
In general, if you get a shot a NASA, take it. Best agency in the gov to work for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment