Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 07:23 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,835,336 times

Advertisements

HR basically does two things now. (1)They look for reasons NOT to hire people that are interviewing for jobs. (2)They look for reasons to fire people the company wants to get rid of or they believe is a potential problem that may lead to a lawsuit.

Your goal should be to not ever have to talk to them, not know any of their names and them not know yours. If they do not know you by name, you are in a golden place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 07:31 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
HR basically does two things now. (1)They look for reasons NOT to hire people that are interviewing for jobs. (2)They look for reasons to fire people the company wants to get rid of or they believe is a potential problem that may lead to a lawsuit.

Your goal should be to not ever have to talk to them, not know any of their names and them not know yours. If they do not know you by name, you are in a golden place.
Your lack of the ability to critically think or understand nuance leads me to believe you either have a GED or perhaps associates degree at best.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:57 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,835,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Your lack of the ability to critically think or understand nuance leads me to believe you either have a GED or perhaps associates degree at best.
LMAO! Nope, wrong on that one. I graduated **** laude in Software Engineering/minor in math only lacking 2 classes to have a double major. I have also taken Graduate courses but I got so busy with my businesses and property investments, I haven't had time to finish the Graduate degree. I breezed right through the math and engineering courses due to my analytical and critical reasoning abilities.

If you want to try to belittle or humiliate someone, I suggest you look elsewhere.

Perhaps, just perhaps, you think I have a lack of ability to critically think or understand nuance because you are simply clueless to what is actually going on around you in everyday life. Maybe you are that guy.

Last edited by dijkstra; 03-14-2018 at 09:54 AM..

Old 03-14-2018, 04:38 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,281,464 times
Same as HR has always done;

Find reasons to fire people when upper management says people need to be cut.

Find reasons to disqualify 45 out of 50 people so the boss only has to interview 5 even though the 1 position was already filled.

Hookup friends with hiring and, protect friends from write-ups and firings.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
LMAO! Nope, wrong on that one. I graduated **** laude in Software Engineering/minor in math only lacking 2 classes to have a double major. I have also taken Graduate courses but I got so busy with my businesses and property investments, I haven't had time to finish the Graduate degree. I breezed right through the math and engineering courses due to my analytical and critical reasoning abilities.

If you want to try to belittle or humiliate someone, I suggest you look elsewhere.

Perhaps, just perhaps, you think I have a lack of ability to critically think or understand nuance because you are simply clueless to what is actually going on around you in everyday life. Maybe you are that guy.
Ah, yes. Another self-proclaimed ‘engineering/math savant’ on the inter-webs ROTFL

Everything you see in black/white without a shred of inbetween. Perhaps one of your managers or colleagues with a lowly liberal arts background can explain this thread to you in sufficient detail so you get a clue.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:56 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,572,970 times
From what I know, HR no longer does exit interview, is the hiring manager that does the exit interview. The workload at the workplace is determine by the hiring manager and your supervisor (if they are not the same person), so HR might not have a clue as to what you do at your office.

The way I look at HR is that they are there to process my paperwork and get me my paycheck, and if I have any questions or concerns about any fringe benefits, then they are the person I would reach out for. That's all.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
Same as HR has always done;

Find reasons to fire people when upper management says people need to be cut.

Find reasons to disqualify 45 out of 50 people so the boss only has to interview 5 even though the 1 position was already filled.

Hookup friends with hiring and, protect friends from write-ups and firings.
Yep, that's it(!) Always black and white....

Old 03-15-2018, 10:28 AM

1,768 posts, read 1,637,315 times
Some HR people are great...others are horrible!

I've never seen anything in between.

I was recently interviewing with a company in the Bay Area for a Machine Learning role and the recruiter was so poor and lacked organization, couldn't communicate well, etc. So I eventually told them that I wasn't interested in the role. So HR people matter when it comes to recruiting.

I just submitted my two weeks and will be joining a company where the HR personal was phenomenal and responsive throughout the entire interview process.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:39 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,427,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Of the last 10 years, I rarely speak to HR for more than 20 mins of general introduction about a company. They usually cannot answer any question about the job requirement and leave it to the hiring manager. Often when I leave a company, I rarely ever see HR folks. I just get an email reminding me to return my company wares. I have not had an HR exit interview since 2008.
I think they just interfere with other groups and scoff at use of data in favor of their own nonsense.

They specialize in destroying value.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:50 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,427,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Why do folks obsess over HR? You do your job. They do theirs. What's the big deal?
Hr inserts itself into other areas of the business with fluff and nonsense. Trust me, no one of intelligence wants to be taken away from the adult time to play games with the layers of really dumb people in hr with overinflated titles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment