Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 03:52 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,825,951 times

Advertisements

One time I went in for an interview, and when we were done, the owner said to me, " Do you have anything to do the rest of the day ?" I said no, and he asked me if I wanted to start right then. He showed me to where my office would be , I sat down, and started work immediately. I think I signed the formal paperwork a few days later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 04:24 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
From the entire process of submitting the application to getting the job offer, what's the quickest it took you to get a job?

From what I recall, the quickest may have been a few days to a week for me.

Someone I know literally got a job yesterday for a big, reputable company in 5.5 hrs...no joke!!! He happened to spot the job ad at 9am one Monday (on Indeed), applied online/submitted cover letter & resume, saw that they were holding on-site interviews at 10am, so he went over there where he was about the 14th person in line, & he got a job offer at about 2:30pm. The pay isn't too shabby either. He'll start in about a week. Talk about fast!!! If only all hiring companies moved like that.
My current job I emailed my resume around 9am, got a call less than 15 mins later. The principal asked if I could come in for an interview that day but I was out in the field and explained I was covered in mud and fish guts and he said "no problem come anyway". Boat got in at 2:30, I sat down all gross for the interview around 3pm and was unofficially offered the job by 3:30. I did have to sit down with the superintendent the next day for the offer to be official. It was an instance of being in the right place at the right time.

Old 03-13-2018, 05:14 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
I got hired once when calling in about a newspaper advertisement (this was before the internet) to find out who they were and where they were located. The owner answered the phone and knew my voice and hired me before I even knew who he was and his company's name.

Old 03-13-2018, 05:46 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,582,785 times
When I walked into an Army recruiting office. But actually, one time I had a job, before I was hired------you can't beat that for quickness. I had walked into a business, to apply for a position that was advertised and was mistaken by the manager for someone who had previously been hired. He said, "You're ten minutes late, but no matter, take this stack of files, and arrange them by date and into three types, then give them to that woman over there. That desk down at the end, will be yours." When I was finished, I was given a long report and told to edit it and correct all mistakes. So I did these things and the manager told me he liked my editing job and was glad I was working for them. I don't know what happened to the person who had been hired, but only after a couple of hours, was the mistake discovered. The manager asked, " Why didn't you say something sooner?" I said that I wanted a job and was glad to be getting an audition so soon and they did hire me for real.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 03-13-2018 at 06:04 PM..

Old 03-13-2018, 05:51 PM

270 posts, read 210,406 times
The quickest salaried job I held was within 3 days from interviewing online to booking ticket sending me off to training.
For a commission sales job is immediately over the phone and start training online. All sales jobs are quick to hired anyone on the spot.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:40 PM

638 posts, read 529,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
From the entire process of submitting the application to getting the job offer, what's the quickest it took you to get a job?

From what I recall, the quickest may have been a few days to a week for me.

Someone I know literally got a job yesterday for a big, reputable company in 5.5 hrs...no joke!!! He happened to spot the job ad at 9am one Monday (on Indeed), applied online/submitted cover letter & resume, saw that they were holding on-site interviews at 10am, so he went over there where he was about the 14th person in line, & he got a job offer at about 2:30pm. The pay isn't too shabby either. He'll start in about a week. Talk about fast!!! If only all hiring companies moved like that.
1.5 weeks from submission to interview with the CEO and offer the next day. Small company. They were really efficient. It takes much longer now.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:07 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,656,209 times
I would say the same day. I went to this open interviewed where everyone was welcomed to sit down with a major retailer and have an interview with them. For me, I sat down, spoke for a few minutes, and she called me later that day to tell me that I got the job.

Old 03-14-2018, 03:50 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,913,630 times
I walked into my professor's office in 1979 to talk about job market opportunities (not to ask him for a job) and he handed me a pile of work to do on the spot. It turned into a job I kept for 15 years (not always happily, but on balance it was great).

Old 03-14-2018, 04:57 AM

9 posts, read 3,224 times
Hi,
I got my current job within two days. The first day, I send the application, they called me and schedule my interview for the same day in the evening. I went for an interview and after the final round has completed, the HR told me, she will inform me tomorrow about the status of an interview. On the next day, around 12 PM the HR called me and said you are selected, so please collect your offer letter.
Thanks!!

Old 03-14-2018, 05:59 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times
Twice I got word in 24 hours.

First time it happened, I moved to a new state on a Wednesday, interviewed with a company on Thursday, received an offer on Friday and began work the following Monday. Was there for 2 1/2 years before being laid off in 2009.

Most recently I interviewed on a Wednesday and received the offer on Thursday. Accepted on Friday and gave a month's notice at my job since it was right around the holidays and I knew that I'd really only be working 10 days total in that last month as a result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment