Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 12:10 PM

846 posts, read 1,399,997 times

Advertisements

I'll make this as brief as possible. I'm a Licensed Clinical Social Worker. I currently work for a local government where we have amazing fringe benefits and contribute to both a pension and to Social Security. But I have mediocre pay. A job change would likely be a $15k-$20k raise.

I alternate between finding new work (more pay) or staying (for the benefits). I have about 7.5 years left before I vest in our pension. While the salary does the job for our expenses right now, it would be nice to earn enough to not have to work multiple jobs (other jobs help with savings).

Advice?
What say you internet strangers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 12:27 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe View Post
I'm a Licensed Clinical Social Worker.
local government amazing fringe benefits 7.5 years left before I vest in our pension.

But I have mediocre pay. A job change would likely be a $15k-$20k raise.
Advice?
7.5yrs at 25 is different than at 55.

Is the $20K a real number? Net of taxes... how does the math run? (be brutally honest with yourself here)
How many years of the net add'l $$ in another plan does it take to break even on the pension?
(you'll probably need a pro to nail down this number with/for you)

Once you're sorted out on the money and numbers aspect of things...
it becomes how much more than breaking even do you need otherwise?

Old 03-13-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
7.5yrs at 25 is different than at 55.
I'm (knocking on) 40.
Quote:
7.5yrs at 25 is different than at 55.Is the $20K a real number? Net of taxes... how does the math run (be brutally honest with yourself)?
How many years of the net add'l $$ in another plan does it take to break even on the pension?
How much more than breaking even do you need otherwise?
I have been offered other jobs with the $15k-$20k increase, but I declined them as the fringe benefits were awful and/or health insurance did not kick in for 3 months.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:32 PM

1,104 posts, read 918,974 times
Quote:
Is the $20K a real number? Net of taxes... how does the math run (be brutally honest with yourself)?
That's what I thought. But the job change sounds more lucrative all round, at least from what is suggested.

What about the quality of work? Would it be a step down to change jobs, i.e. more stressful? Or would it just be the benefits that you're leaving behind?

Old 03-13-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
What about the quality of work? Would it be a step down to change jobs, i.e. more stressful? Or would it just be the benefits that you're leaving behind?
Unfortunately, that would likely not be known until the start of a new job.

Currently, my pension would be almost $2k/month (without factoring in raises), in addition to Social Security

Old 03-13-2018, 12:38 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times
I took a 15k pay cut to get into a Union job that had better bennies and a Pension.....but did it at 42, wish I had done this a little earlier, like 35 would have been perfect, Pension maxes out at 30 years. Need to look at the big picture.....can you cut back on lifestyle a bit. IMO, a Pension is worth the sacrifice.....imagine the extra few grand a month on top of savings, 401k / 403b....SS....it comes in handy.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
I took a 15k pay cut to get into a Union job that had better bennies and a Pension.....but did it at 42, wish I had done this a little earlier, like 35 would have been perfect
Yea, I think that's it. I am doing this later in life (too long to discuss why). I could possibly get into the VA but I think it's great to be able to contribute to pension and Social Security as VA only contributes to pension.

Old 03-13-2018, 02:56 PM

17,540 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe View Post
Unfortunately, that would likely not be known until the start of a new job.

Currently, my pension would be almost $2k/month (without factoring in raises), in addition to Social Security
Then, din't change jobs until you are vested

Old 03-13-2018, 03:16 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
I don't take pay cuts. I can save the higher salary and fund my own retirement. Pensions are great but I wouldn't take a pay cut for one. That's me.

Old 03-13-2018, 03:25 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,915,239 times
Convert pension, benefits, everything into a dollar amount and compare jobs then. How much of a raise would you need to get to break even losing the pension? (How much monthly would you need to invest out of pocket to match it?)

This decision seems like a math problem, to a large extent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment