Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 11:45 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Some companies, like Google, just require them of everyone now.

But, when I worked for a large, famous American beer maker back in the mid-90's, I was told by a manager who was visiting from the corporate office out-of-state, that the reason they required degrees, was because it was a legal way to discriminate against applicants of color, because so few back then had college degrees. I found that utterly appalling, but not completely surprising, because this company has been based in the deep south for many, many years.

So, there's that, too. It can be legal discrimination. Even if that includes discriminating against white uneducated people.
That's sad because some of the finest software developers, quality analysts, data analysts, and database administrators (not to mention network engineers) have been 100% self-taught high school graduates...some with some college hours, some without.

Requiring a bachelor's degree is stupid. I have one but it's not in a STEM discipline so I might as well not have one at all. I've worked in I.T. for 20 years, mainly as a developer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 11:55 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
That's sad because some of the finest software developers, quality analysts, data analysts, and database administrators (not to mention network engineers) have been 100% self-taught high school graduates...some with some college hours, some without.

Requiring a bachelor's degree is stupid. I have one but it's not in a STEM discipline so I might as well not have one at all. I've worked in I.T. for 20 years, mainly as a developer.
I agree. My daughter never finished college, but is a systems analyst for payroll software systems, and has helped implement new systems for huge corporations - but she can't get hired by Google because she doesn't have a degree.

I think these companies do realize they could miss out on some great talent, but they choose to lose the few, rather than chance getting what they have decided could be undesirables.

It's an unregulated means of discrimination right now.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:28 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

But if that is the company culture, what's wrong with not being a fit? We often hear on this very forum that the companies look for fits, more so than skill. Company fit is important because you can't have a clash of personalities. Look at Google with the "whistle blowing" by white conservative males complaining about women in IT, then *****ing about being fired...

And I'm not even talking "drinking buddies." Let me tell you, I'm personable but I'm not a drinks after work person. I have hung out with a few co-workers after work, but mostly when I'm off the clock, I don't see them until I'm on the clock again. Guess what, still got some jobbs though maybe not the best jobs for my skill-set.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:50 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,589,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Cheap scummy, exploitive, spoiled/out of touch/no common sense employers looking for purple squirrels for the lowest money possible. No decent/rational human beings post a job for “data entry” that requires a bachelors degree. You know what you’re gonna in return for that kind of wage? Bottom of the barrel applicants and chances are no 4 year graduates except horrible or desperate ones and all you will have is revolving door of employees and chances are your company goes down to the tubes due to “corporate brain drain” because of astronomical turnover rates

It’s quite simple really. “Play it cheap get horrible quality or no one at all”

The college graduate chances are isn’t gonna put much effort into that job after a few months as well and pretty much zone out and bounce quickly

The only time you MAY get a college graduate of quality for that type of position is if a hardcore recession is going on. They still won’t stay there long however

There is a large sheriff's dept. in my part of the country, that some years ago, decided to upgrade the quality of their patrol officers, so they started requiring a bachelor's degree of new applicants. Eventually, they abandoned this policy, because they had been getting the low-end segment of college graduates. Those who would have made better patrol officers, were by-passed, because not many had degrees. They went back to the old policy of selecting those who showed the best aptitude for the job, with or without a full college background.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:21 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,986,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
There is a large sheriff's dept. in my part of the country, that some years ago, decided to upgrade the quality of their patrol officers, so they started requiring a bachelor's degree of new applicants. Eventually, they abandoned this policy, because they had been getting the low-end segment of college graduates. Those who would have made better patrol officers, were by-passed, because not many had degrees. They went back to the old policy of selecting those who showed the best aptitude for the job, with or without a full college background.

It’s crazy they reposted the positions requiring a bachelors degree for that type of job. I see border patrol is now doing that . Most people go to college to become middle entry white collar employees and move up the white collar corporate ladder. They don’t “nor should they IMO” have to start at a high school graduate level data entry type position for menial money. Especially if they went to a high end university. That’s just the epitome of underemployment which is rampant these days of course.

Generally if college graduates go into the law enforcement field, they will become probation, parole officers or even fbi/cia. Not highway patrol or writing up parking tickets

Old 03-15-2018, 09:07 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I agree. My daughter never finished college, but is a systems analyst for payroll software systems, and has helped implement new systems for huge corporations - but she can't get hired by Google because she doesn't have a degree.

I think these companies do realize they could miss out on some great talent, but they choose to lose the few, rather than chance getting what they have decided could be undesirables.

It's an unregulated means of discrimination right now.
Requiring a certain level of education is NOT discrimination. Was it discrimination when jobs wanted a high school diploma?

Your daughter is free to get a degree. Based on what you listed, she probably would qualify for tuition reimbursement if her employer offers it. So, your daughter is possibly making personal choices that are impeding her future.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:08 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
It’s crazy they reposted the positions requiring a bachelors degree for that type of job. I see border patrol is now doing that . Most people go to college to become middle entry white collar employees and move up the white collar corporate ladder. They don’t “nor should they IMO” have to start at a high school graduate level data entry type position for menial money. Especially if they went to a high end university. That’s just the epitome of underemployment which is rampant these days of course.

Generally if college graduates go into the law enforcement field, they will become probation, parole officers or even fbi/cia. Not highway patrol or writing up parking tickets
It is a mix of perception of too many candidates so they must ask for that to self eliminate applicants and a HR department that hears it is a best practice and benchmarks just to benchmark rather than think if it works with their mission, vision and culture.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:43 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Well, the meme he posted always annoys me. Yeah the person who went to trade school now may make more, but the person who is doing an office job who takes a little while longer to get off the ground is not the one who is going to be out of work at 50 because they have joint and back problems. Trades sound all well and good, but many trades involve lots of lifting, stooping, bending, etc. that are really hard on the body over time. It’s very hard to continue those jobs into your 60s and 70s, but pretty easy to continue sitting at a desk.
Yet when was the last time you heard of 5000 Electricians, Millwrights and Plumbers being laid off en masse from a company? How many of those 60-70 year olds are low to middle management?

https://247wallst.com/special-report...e-last-year/2/

Top 5 listed here....

1. General Electric Company
> Number of announced layoffs: 12,000
> Date: December 8
> Industry: Industrial
> Reason: Restructuring

2. Macy’s Incorporated
> Number of announced layoffs: 10,000
> Date: January 4
> Industry: Retail
> Reason: Demand downturn

3. Cognizant Technology Solutions Corporation
> Number of announced layoffs: 6,000
> Date: March 21
> Industry: Services
> Reason: Cost-cutting

4. J.C. Penney Company
> Number of announced layoffs: 5,550
> Date: February 5
> Reason: Cost-cutting

5. HHGregg Incorporated
> Number of announced layoffs: 5,000
> Date: April 4
> Reason: Closing

Old 03-15-2018, 11:10 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,572 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
Isn't Seattle's minimum wage is $15 an hour? How could they offer less than that? While I agree that employers want their candidates to possess wonderful credentials but are not willing to pay for it, the fact of the matter is that it's an employer's market and they can demand as much or as little from their candidates. However, that pendulum is SLOWLY shifting to the other side.
If over 500 employees it's now $15. For fewer than 500, it's only $14, and only $11.50 if they pay at least $2.50 in medical or the employee earns at least $2.50/hour in tips.

Our Accounting department is now requiring CPA for even the "entry level" Accountant 1 positions. As long as they still get applicants, they will continue to do so.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:52 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
The duties seem to me to be commensurate with someone who has the intelligence and stick-to-it-ness of someone who has a BA:

Quote:
If you consider yourself an overachiever or the most reliable person in a group project, you will fit right in.

About You:

You have passion for excellence in your work and are always striving to learn more and improve upon what you already know. You are capable of learning to deftly navigate a database and have a talent for remembering small details. You have a knack for customer support - especially over email or phone.

You are goal-oriented and always up for a challenge. You are happiest in a fast-paced environment with little red tape and the ability to make an immediate impact. Previous data entry experience is not necessary and training is provided.

Duties:

-Context switch between a high volume emails, calls, and data entry while maintaining a superior level of organization. Keeping track of details is key
-Help delegate emails to internal team members for sales opportunities
-Make outbound calls to new customer leads and educate them about our services

What we're looking for:

-Fast typing skills. Above average writing skills
-Excellent communication skills over email and phone
-Strong familiarity with Google interface, including Gmail and Google Drive
-Highly organized, detail-oriented, and self-motivated
-Hard working, smart, and eager to learn new things
-A self starter who can work efficiently with little direction
-Customer service experience
-One year of work experience or more
-Bachelor's degree required
They are at the same time looking for someone who is very junior - 1 year or so out of college.

If I'm doing my math right, that's about $31K/year. That seems low.

Not only that, but "startup" means the company might go out of business.

So if it were me, I'd say "I won't accept a contract position. Hire me on full-time. I want $45K/year, and I want equity."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment