Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2018, 09:47 PM

5 posts, read 2,287 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I enjoy the current company I work for, but am looking for a fresh start in a different state. The company has many offices across the United States and open positions that I qualify for.

How do I properly apply without stepping over/offending my boss?

The way it plays out in my head is I apply for the job out of state. That new person reviews and resume and thinks "wow they already work for my company, let me reach out to to his current boss and see what kind of person he is"--- Current boss says "wow I didn't know you were looking for other jobs, that sucks you should have told me"

Out of state is not my only option, I can possibly relocate north/south of where I am now. I have access to the Director who might be able to place me.

If I go the route of asking the director for other opportunities, I will definitely have to inform my current boss?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 07:19 AM

146 posts, read 100,132 times
Your boss's job is to see that work get's done not worry about your personal interests or needs. If you want to work somewhere else you have a right to apply internally or externally at your discretion. You are under no obligation to tell your boss and if your boss isn't a fool he will be able to easily cope with you leaving for another location and already has a back up / recovery plan in place (assuming you would have that type of impact).

I'm currently 1 of 2 people who support a critical, firm-wide application for an F50 and I submit applications regularly and on my company's computer and I freely talk to my boss about moving / doing something else. Like any good boss he wants the best for me and wishes me his best every time I go to an interview. Any other response is unacceptable.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:49 AM

348 posts, read 460,205 times
Does your company not support internal mobility? The company I work for does so when it was time for me to move back to the US from London, I applied for positions available in NJ, told my boss about it and he and a couple of other people in London put in a good word for me with people they knew in NYC/NJ. I interviewed and got a position. Former coworkers in London have moved to the Luxembourg and Singapore offices. One I worked with that was based in Singapore moved to Japan. There is a lot of mobility.

I completely agree with ExpertAnalysis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment