Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 02:26 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,253,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_What34 View Post
Hi,

Not sure what to do. I started a new job last week. I was pretty desperate to get out of my previous job and accepted an offer quickly. I like the job and it’s only 6 minutes from my house. The problem is I have a preplanned trip out of state in June. My best friend is getting married and I’m in the wedding party. My husband and I have already paid for the trip. We will be out of town for four business days. I mention this to the hiring manager prior to being hired. I was told it shouldn’t be a problem. Then today I found out that human resources has denied my request. They are saying there is no flexibility.

At this point I’m thinking I should just keep working but look for something else. I have never worked for a company that would give me a hard time about time off several months in advance. I told him I’m fine with it being unpaid but they won’t budge. I’m not canceling the trip. I guess I could tell them if they can’t grant me the time off I will have to quit and see what they say? Has anyone else ever come into a situation like this? How did you handle it?
I see another new job in your future. Your new employer does not have to give you the time off no matter how far in advance you’ve planned to be absent from work because you simply haven’t earned any time off.

If it were me, and I could be flexible in permitting you the time,off I would allow it. But if you’re being away was going to cause hardship I’d have to consider how valuable I really felt you to be. A company can shoot itself in the foot by being inflexible, so all options have to be weighed out. What I’m trying to say is that from the company’s perspective, it’s never as cut and dried as we think it is.

Look for another job.

Old 03-25-2018, 02:26 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
The one factor not being considered is, Was the other persons vacation request made before or after the OP put in and was told no?. The OP did not make the vacation request, until she went to work. It could not been even be reserved when she was interviewed and that time was available at that moment, but by the date she actually went to work and applied for the time off, another long term employee may have booked her vacation and it was no longer available to the OP.

This is not the first time I have heard of this kind of thing happening.

If this time off was so important to her, why did she not make this part of her employment contract--Mrs OP will have personal time off from the job from xxxxx to xxxxx. If she had done so, she would not have a problem with getting the time off.

This is what most people would have done. She failed to do it, so it is as much her fault as anyone's she can not get the time off. So instead of having the time off in her employment contract, she is angry and saying they lied to her when she could not get it later.

Old 03-25-2018, 02:35 PM

34,006 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Okay I didn't see that. Again though, if you read my post through, I stated it may not normally BE a problem, but the hiring manager would not know who if anyone had already requested time off during the same period. And again OP may have the same issue anywhere at this point, since again June is a month when many people have graduations and/or weddings out of town and the block of time may not be able to be given to her.
Hiring manager then, should have stated at offer time, I cannot commit to your request for time off at this time. Will you still accept the job under those terms?

Old 03-25-2018, 02:41 PM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
At most employers large enough to have an HR dept, the manager has rules in place to be notified of any vacation. The manager would make the approvals for vacation, before anybody took time off.

They have to manage staffing levels, so they can't be completely blind to the time off for employees. I can't imagine what a monkey circus such a place would be. It is completely disorganized, and I wouldn't want to work in such a place.

I have gotten used to managers knowing my schedule. I assumed other managers knew their employees schedules also. I couldn't work for a place, where the manager doesn't know his own staffing levels for a particular day.

I can only imagine the fire drills that go on during the summer and holidays, when they are short-staffed. When the VP inquires about staffing levels for the summer, "I don't know." is not the right response from the manager over one of his teams. It's not something they want to hear in corporate setting.
In a big company, hiring managers might not be department managers, but just do interviews and hiring for the company. They wouldn't be expected to keep track of who in every department put in for vacation. I know it's hard to think in the moment, but next time OP they give a vague answer like that, push a bit and say "I would need confirmation of that before I accept a position".

Old 03-25-2018, 02:45 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
This last post shows your character. You want to punish them, for not letting you have something that is against their policy. Be honest and quit now, so they can move on with someone else the company can count on to do their job, and follow company policy.

You still have that teen age attitude, of if I don't get my way, I will throw a temper tantrum and I will punish you, or make your life miserable.

You are now in a grown up world, where companies have to make policy to keep their company operating smoothly. They have to make their company work smoothly, and you are not willing to do your part.

Be honest and quit now, not letting them train you so you can leave them in a bind to punish them for not letting a young immature young girl have her way. That is so teen age thinking. Be a woman, not a little kid and quit now.
I think your middle name must be "company".

Old 03-25-2018, 02:48 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
My 2 cents: The hiring manager told you what you wanted to hear, in approving your time off, just to get you hired. Did you get that part in writing? The company is going to do what's right for the company, not for you. You are new. They can replace you. Going to HR, who, if anyone, told you to go there?

Old 03-25-2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
My 2 cents: The hiring manager told you what you wanted to hear, in approving your time off, just to get you hired. Did you get that part in writing? The company is going to do what's right for the company, not for you. You are new. They can replace you. Going to HR, who, if anyone, told you to go there?
That is why OP needs to replace them with a good employer instead.

Leave just before wedding. Just about fully trained then. Perfect timing.

Old 03-25-2018, 03:25 PM

220 posts, read 145,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
Sounds to me your manager doesn't
want to give you the time off, not HR.
Go to HR directly...call them.
Be a hoot when you tell your manager" HR gave me the time off after all!"
The look on her face will be priceless
That'll make for a happy work situation.

Old 03-25-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I agree the hiring manager is a very good liar.

That will not change.

Old 03-25-2018, 04:20 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
Quote:
I was always told to get everything in writing. This time I didn’t.
Quote:
Be prepared for the personnel person to say that they never said "that shouldn't be a problem".

The time off should have been politely been mentioned in your acceptance letter.
1) And if it's not in the letter how do you clarify that without making it seems as if you don't trust them? What' do you write back, "oh by the way, just so there's no issue later, can I get written confirmation that I will be granted days off for the previously scheduled event/appointment I discussed during my interview, and for which I will need four days off from June xx/xx to xx?"

That won't make you seem like a PITA? Or a stickler that's already asking for addition stuff in writing.

Before this thread I don't think I would have asked for written confirmation of that detail. But the OP's case goes to show you can't trust what people say -- so you have to get it documented. You know what they say, if you didn't document it in writing it didn't happen." And that's a shame. But I suppose no more a shame than a myriad of other things that happen in the workplace every day.

2) I must admit I'm a little surprised by so many people saying: just quit or find another job.
Do so many people think jobs are a dime a dozen out there these days? It took me 10 months just for a part-time job to come through.

Last edited by selhars; 03-25-2018 at 04:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment