Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 11:46 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,589,681 times

Advertisements

So I recently went on another job search recently. And just yesterday I was offered a new job. So that obviously means I should leave my current job right? Well the thing is, my current job is permanent, but the new job is a contract. But the plot thickens. The contract is with a company I worked at before, I was a contractor there for 2 years with a different team. But I wanted to weight in the options. I won't disclose company names just out of respect.

Current Role:

Advantages:

Work from home full time
Seemingly stable
Pretty cool co-workers for the most part
Fairly flexible schedule
Permanent, full time employee
Very good benefits, stock options, and 401k

Disadvantages:

Revolving door management
Product is at least 5 years to late to the market
Waterfall style project management
New VP is a micromanager
Limited career growth
Cool co-workers, but most people are there to collect a check
Pay is VERY low, at least 15-20k under market value
Raises are terrible, as are bonuses

New Possible role:

Advantages:

Much much higher pay
Familiar with company culture, know that the contracts are very stable
Despite being contract, I still get full benefits
Working with cutting edge technology.
Much more relaxed culture, slightly hipper and very Agile
Seem to have very forward thinking, and upper management has a good vision
A better "resume building" role due more cutting edge tech
I feel brighter and more engaged, I've been reading up on all of their tech and building personal projects just to get my chops up

Disadvantages:

Have to now go into office (but commute is about 10 minutes)
Somewhat of a gamble on newer tech
Not permanent
A little less established than my current role
Benefits may cost more due to me being a contractor
401k won't kick in till much later

To me, I do think my time with my current employer is coming to it's end. I'm not a fan of the new VP. My real question is should I just pull the trigger on the new role, or hold out for a permanent job that pays a little more than my current role? Your insight would be much appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 12:28 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
I'd go for it. Sounds great for more options and future.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:35 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Not permanent is a huge disadvantage to #2. Not sure I could risk that.

Old 03-21-2018, 01:54 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,584,478 times
Agree with Mr. Geek. The not permanent part would kill the deal for me but i sos have a family relying on my salary and couldn’t afford to be out of work for an extended period of time if it ended and I couldn’t find something immediately. Otherwise I’d go for it.

Old 03-21-2018, 04:42 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
The only way I'd ever take a contract or temp position is if I am currently unemployed, desperate, and no other company offered me a position.

As always, it's not always about the salary.

Old 03-21-2018, 05:03 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Pay is not the end all and be all if your benefits are superior. Just on its own, telecommuting is a huge benefit. You don’t have to worry about gas, wear and tear on a car, and probably have less time you’d need to have children in after-school care if that is an issue since you’d just have to go from your house to pick them up instead of having to worry about maneuvering from the office to the after-school situation.

You’ve also mentioned stock options, which a lot of companies do not give, very good benefits, and 401k which I am assuming also has some sort of match that many companies also don’t have. It sounds like the benefits might very well make up for the difference in salary.

I have a friend who is on Agile now and she couldn’t be more miserable. She pretty much spends every day wishing she were still on waterfall. She says that they are actually losing telecommute days because the Agile structure doesn’t allow for it. Add in the temp/contract? No... it just doesn’t seem like a plus to me.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:47 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,589,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Pay is not the end all and be all if your benefits are superior. Just on its own, telecommuting is a huge benefit. You don’t have to worry about gas, wear and tear on a car, and probably have less time you’d need to have children in after-school care if that is an issue since you’d just have to go from your house to pick them up instead of having to worry about maneuvering from the office to the after-school situation.

You’ve also mentioned stock options, which a lot of companies do not give, very good benefits, and 401k which I am assuming also has some sort of match that many companies also don’t have. It sounds like the benefits might very well make up for the difference in salary.

I have a friend who is on Agile now and she couldn’t be more miserable. She pretty much spends every day wishing she were still on waterfall. She says that they are actually losing telecommute days because the Agile structure doesn’t allow for it. Add in the temp/contract? No... it just doesn’t seem like a plus to me.

The benefits don't make up the difference. And I don't like my current job at all and there is no career growth. Plus I work in tech. You dont want your skillset to corode for a little job security and a handful of benefits

Old 03-21-2018, 07:41 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
So the OP answered own question.

Hold out and keep looking until a permanent position is found with higher pay.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:00 PM

876 posts, read 813,348 times
The pros and cons of each seem almost equal. What might tip the scales one way or another: Do you have a family or a mortgage? If it's just you paying rent then I'd say go for the contract position. Even more so if you're under 40.

It sounds like your current position is not adding to your skill set, but it's comfortable and seemingly stable. But in the long run, why stay in a field where the knowledge is quickly becoming obsolete?

At some career stages, you have to take a risk and listen to your gut, which I think is telling you to leave, but your analytical side is keeping you from jumping ship.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:06 PM

4,968 posts, read 2,711,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The only way I'd ever take a contract or temp position is if I am currently unemployed, desperate, and no other company offered me a position.

As always, it's not always about the salary.
This^^^. Completely agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment