Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2018, 12:48 PM

5 posts, read 4,046 times

Advertisements

Hello, I was told a while ago about a website with job listings for temporary work, anywhere from a couple weeks to several months. You're allowed to browse the listed jobs and apply as a candidate for them. These jobs would be almost strictly temporary, as companies that are looking for a temp only need one because a permanent employee is unable to work. I mean in terms of illness, injury, recovery, disability, a death or birth in a family, etc. Anything that would cause a stable employee to be unable to work unexpectedly for a period of time.

The site I was told of was for general labor; nothing clerical, administrative, educational, health care related, etc. Nothing that strictly requires a college education, or any skill above what qualifications a Skilled Laborer posses. He told me that he worked on a fishing boat off the Alaskan coast, in the Mid-west oil fields, road work in Louisiana, 2 months roofing in Maine, a lot of varying jobs across the United States.

He told me that a plane ticket was provided to the job location, as was housing, transportation to-and-from said housing to the job, and per diem for food. After the contract is filled you're given a plane ticket back to wherever you came from, and allowed to start the process all over again. He was never clear about pay being on a set schedule or after your job is done.

He went on to tell me most of the jobs he came across were hard manual labor, for 60+ hours a week, usually with just 1 day off(if that). He told me about this work awhile ago and since then I've lost all means of communication with them. Now I can't seem to find whatever this fabled temp agency/company/website/network could be.

In my search so far I've only been able to find individual companies looking for permanent employees, temp-to-permanents, local contract workers, or ones that don't/won't give the housing/per diem/plane ticket. All the websites I've come across, and temp companies I've looked at, either don't meet those standards or are just websites/companies that re-direct me to different job-finder websites. So far the job seeker websites are also not very helpful in finding this kind of work.

Does ANYBODY have any kind of helpful information to find this kind of employment? Anything even similar to it? Or some helpful tips for different searches, or search terms, or anything of the kind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 12:51 PM

Also, if this belongs in the sub-forum 'Job Search' please let me know so I can ask to have the thread moved. Thank you.

Old 03-21-2018, 11:54 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times
There is generally about a dozen display ads each week in our newspaper looking for workers similar to what you are describing. Half are for agricultural positions (picking crops mostly) and the rest for everything from slaughterhouse cleaners to slurry seal crews in the summer. The quoted salaries is not something to sneeze at, but clearly the work is labor intensive and grueling. I suspect that the majority of these jobs were once filled by our neighbors to the south who are no longer available.

Old 03-31-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
There is generally about a dozen display ads each week in our newspaper looking for workers similar to what you are describing. Half are for agricultural positions (picking crops mostly) and the rest for everything from slaughterhouse cleaners to slurry seal crews in the summer. The quoted salaries is not something to sneeze at, but clearly the work is labor intensive and grueling. I suspect that the majority of these jobs were once filled by our neighbors to the south who are no longer available.
The only thing I've been able to find similar to this is a website called Coolworks.com but it's more for seasonal/hospitality work. It also all seems like it has crap pay that attracts mostly college-age people looking for a "vacation that pays" not serious labor.

I suspect the website I'm looking for follows a similar style/format, but for the temporary labor-intensive positions. I'm thinking maybe it's a sister site I've yet to come across, but I'm quite determined to find it if it exists.

Last edited by Seolan; 03-31-2018 at 06:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment