Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 03:13 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,515,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
Sorry. Let me clarify. I put in my notice from my current employer on 3/1. I didn't have this job lined up. I applied with the new job and they offered the position this morning. However they want me to start on 4/10. So theyre giving me 18 days for me to start. I asked them for an additional two weeks but i have a feeling that we're going to meet in the middle and start on 4-17.

I still have time to apply for rentals in the area, call the moving company, call a real estate agent to sell my home but it's kind of tight.
Ah gotcha. That makes more sense. It's not ideal but what they are offering is pretty typical based on my experience. If they are a decent company they will give you at least an extra week. I was usually too afraid to ask for too much so the one time it happened to me I just asked for another week. They gave it to me no questions asked. This had me wishing I'd have asked for more.

Where are you moving from/to? Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 03:39 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,655,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Ah gotcha. That makes more sense. It's not ideal but what they are offering is pretty typical based on my experience. If they are a decent company they will give you at least an extra week. I was usually too afraid to ask for too much so the one time it happened to me I just asked for another week. They gave it to me no questions asked. This had me wishing I'd have asked for more.

Where are you moving from/to? Good luck!

Thank you, kind sir. I am moving from Sacramento to Phoenix.

Old 03-23-2018, 05:04 PM

604 posts, read 855,833 times
I've done it twice. Both times my start date at the new job was negotiated so I could give my 2 weeks' notice and coordinate my move in an orderly fashion. Good luck to you!

Old 03-23-2018, 05:07 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,655,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrodinger's Kittens View Post
I've done it twice. Both times my start date at the new job was negotiated so I could give my 2 weeks' notice and coordinate my move in an orderly fashion. Good luck to you!
So how much time did they give you in total?

Old 03-23-2018, 06:39 PM

8,876 posts, read 13,904,559 times
I was kind of fortunate that I had a travel trailer at the times when we relocated out of state.

I took the camper and found a long term campground site so I could start work. My wife stayed home and wrapped up things at the house.

I would go home on weekends or the family would come to my location to house shop.

It all worked out well both times.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:09 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,189,441 times
Congratulations on the new position!

You should be able to swing this move time-wise. Hopefully you picked up some COBRA or other short-term health insurance to tide you over until you get on the new company's plan. We live in the Phoenix metro and there are apartments and extended-stay hotels around that should be able to accommodate your needs -- it is a large metro area and has everything here. If you are really worried about finding a spot timely, use one of those moving pods and have it stored until you find a spot to live and need your stuff. I would suggest you watch your commute-distance so you do not have to drive all over the place -- this is a huge sprawling metro area and it is simple enough to find housing within a reasonable distance.

Be sure to buy a sunshade for the inside of your front windshield of your vehicle before you get here, and make sure your a/c is in good working order. Welcome!

Old 03-23-2018, 08:14 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,303,381 times
Hey, take what you can get. Seems like you've got it under control. I've moved out of state for jobs....4 times. Time given varied. More time moving to Hawaii. But once they decided they wanted me they were somewhat flexible. Federal jobs start you on the beginning of the pay period so it was pretty seamless.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:45 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,184,093 times
Hubby got a job offer in a state 900+ miles away. He gave his two week notice to his current job, and he started his new job in just over three weeks.

He had to arrange a place to live, which he lived in a motel for two and a half weeks, and then in some government housing for another two months until he bought our house.

It was crazy, the timing of everything. I stayed behind with the kids, and sold our house, while he started his new job. Then he bought us a house and we moved there with him.

Old 03-24-2018, 05:30 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,149,516 times
The first time I did this I moved from Virginia to California. I started the new job within days of leaving my previous job. I stayed in temp housing and was given time off to fly back to VA a couple of weeks later to pack up and move.

The second time I was moving from California to Virginia. Again I started my new job within a few days of leaving the previous one. My stuff was already on a truck and I stayed in temp housing again while waiting for my new place to become available/my stuff to arrive.

In both of the above scenarios, full relocation was paid by the employer and a home-finding trip was paid for.

Old 03-24-2018, 07:24 AM

483 posts, read 841,764 times
I've done it twice and it was 1.5 to 2 months, but it probably could have been a little longer had I asked. I essentially set the dates. I didn't actually take that much time. I worked the previous jobs until about 2-3 weeks before starting the new one, but spent a lot of time prepping for it in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment