Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 09:32 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiejoe View Post
So I work at Sonic Drive In. I was a manager up until a few weeks ago when I chose to step down because it was best for me. Since I have chosen to step down my manager has been rude to me and has told me I'm not even fit to be a crew member but before I stepped down he was wanting to promote me from assistant manager to first assistant manager. He has even got to the point to where he is threatening to transfer me for being unfit to do my job. I'm just wondering if this is considered discrimination toward me since I chose to step down. I love my job at Sonic but the manager has literally tore down my self esteem and makes me hate my job and I just want him to stop.
It's called 'retaliation' and there is likely something in your employee handbook (if you have one) that proclaims it's against company policy.

That said - start looking elsewhere. Why stay there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 10:24 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,282,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
What protected class are you a member of?
I always thought that everyone deserved to be protected. Sad that in 2018 America, only certain groups are granted that status.

Old 03-25-2018, 10:34 AM

50,772 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toiejoe View Post
So I work at Sonic Drive In. I was a manager up until a few weeks ago when I chose to step down because it was best for me. Since I have chosen to step down my manager has been rude to me and has told me I'm not even fit to be a crew member but before I stepped down he was wanting to promote me from assistant manager to first assistant manager. He has even got to the point to where he is threatening to transfer me for being unfit to do my job. I'm just wondering if this is considered discrimination toward me since I chose to step down. I love my job at Sonic but the manager has literally tore down my self esteem and makes me hate my job and I just want him to stop.
It's not discrimination. My brother went through something similar. He was hired as an assistant manager at a retail auto parts chain, but he's really not cut out to be management. He doesn't have all that good people skills, and he gets snarky and sarcastic during confrontations. He ended up requesting to be made a regular clerk rather than assistant manager after a few stressful months (before they fired him, which would have happened soon).

He requested a meeting first though, with the regional and the store manager, to discuss the situation.

It sounds like maybe you stepped down without much notice? If so, it may be impacting HIM if they are now short a manager...do you know if he has had to step in and do more because they haven't filled your old position yet? Did he lose a vacation due to it, have to work weekends where before you did, anything like that?

Old 03-25-2018, 10:37 AM

50,772 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
I always thought that everyone deserved to be protected. Sad that in 2018 America, only certain groups are granted that status.
Wayyy before 2018. We could go all the way back to the days when employees at mines got paid in coupons for food and goods at the company store. It's much better now than it was in the past in terms of proections. The only time it was better for most workers was in the heyday of Unions, but their power is long gone now. In the 70's, no one would have walked past the rat to patronize a store, now no one cares, so that is the world we have.

Old 03-25-2018, 05:10 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
Yes, ALL employees used to be better protected. We called them union members.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:14 PM

231 posts, read 228,993 times
Only certain skin colors or sexual orientations can cry discrimination. If that's not you, you lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment