Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 04:44 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,771,834 times

Advertisements

I hate yellers and control-freaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 06:38 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,346,246 times
Though of another one:

A boss/supervisor who REALLY resents being corrected, challenged - even politely and privately.

Sometimes that will land you on his/her $s@t list for a long, long time.

Old 03-26-2018, 11:05 PM

92 posts, read 109,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Y'all already mentioned several I agree with, esp the micro managers and those who won't fight for their team. So I'll just add a couple. Those who make no decisions. The whole organization grinds to a halt waiting on them. Other things happen around your organization, but your boss is still "stuck on stupid" so to speak. Related to that is the "bring me a rock" manager. They don't know what they want, but no matter what you bring them, it isn't it. You keep redoing the same work over and over trying things at random hoping to hit the right combination. And when you finally do, you discover the "rock" they wanted isn't a "rock" at all, but a truck.
This is the one I canNOT stand! They wouldn't know an employee expectation if it walked through the door and introduced itself to them. Nobody has time for their time-wasting nonsense!

Old 03-27-2018, 01:30 AM

10,894 posts, read 7,386,537 times
I had a boss that would tell one employee one thing, and another just the opposite.
Then the employees would be mad at each other.

With that manager, we called Friday "bonus day"
Payday Friday was double bonus day
Payday Friday when the boss got drunk at lunch and stayed in his office all afternoon: Triple Bonus Day!

Old 03-27-2018, 02:05 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,643,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Just curious what do you feel are characteristics of bad managers you've worked for? Me personally I think the worst managers I've ever worked for are the inccurable micromangers. There are plenty of negative managerial traits that I can deal with. I typically don't mind lazy managers, or ones who hog credit, or even catty ones who throw their people under the bus (though this is a major turn off). I think I can somewhat tolerate that level of bad management. But when I deal with a micromanager, that is when I head for the nearest exit. I feel micromanagers and control freaks easily drain my entire morale, where I quickly stop caring about a job after that. I think emotionally it's just exhausting dealing with them, and I don't work very hard to try to satisfy their every impulse.

What are some of the bad manager traits that you can't stand?
The worst management problem for me is when one gives a performance evaluation that others do not agree with.

Manager A: wants more participation in meetings, aggressive feedback if necessary, willingness to be confrontational to discuss results, able to make disagreements assertively with confidence

Manager B: does not want any of the above because it is viewed as insubordination - an unprofessional challenge to authority.

What the hell am I supposed to do when I have to work with both everyday?

Just leave and get out of Dodge.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:36 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Bad managers is a chain effect. If you have one bad manager, this means there's more bad management above him/her. If I was working for one, I would work on getting another job unless you can learn how to manipulate them.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:14 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,219,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
The managers that ask you to write your own performance review.
That's an opportunity to give yourself a high score! But then the question is: What is THEIR job?

Old 03-27-2018, 08:57 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,219,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
The worst management problem for me is when one gives a performance evaluation that others do not agree with.

Manager A: wants more participation in meetings, aggressive feedback if necessary, willingness to be confrontational to discuss results, able to make disagreements assertively with confidence

Manager B: does not want any of the above because it is viewed as insubordination - an unprofessional challenge to authority.

What the hell am I supposed to do when I have to work with both everyday?

Just leave and get out of Dodge.
Can they both fire you? Time to think about a new job, with one manager.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:18 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
A complete lack of transparency.

My manager at my previous job gave no feedback or direction, yet was eager to fire staff.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:33 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,035,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Just curious what do you feel are characteristics of bad managers you've worked for? Me personally I think the worst managers I've ever worked for are the inccurable micromangers. There are plenty of negative managerial traits that I can deal with. I typically don't mind lazy managers, or ones who hog credit, or even catty ones who throw their people under the bus (though this is a major turn off). I think I can somewhat tolerate that level of bad management. But when I deal with a micromanager, that is when I head for the nearest exit. I feel micromanagers and control freaks easily drain my entire morale, where I quickly stop caring about a job after that. I think emotionally it's just exhausting dealing with them, and I don't work very hard to try to satisfy their every impulse.

What are some of the bad manager traits that you can't stand?
Ones who just think they are managers and hence have authority to speak BS. Luckily I am working with leaders than managers now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment