Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 01:27 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,258,290 times

Advertisements

1. Micromanaging
2. Arrogant
3. Lack of people skills
4. Vindictiveness
5. Power hungry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 07:53 PM

1,091 posts, read 580,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Bad managers is a chain effect. If you have one bad manager, this means there's more bad management above him/her. If I was working for one, I would work on getting another job unless you can learn how to manipulate them.
I've experienced this. I had a manager once who regularly came down hard on everyone for being behind schedule, and openly admitted that it's because her boss was doing the same to her.

In the same job, I eventually discovered that the real problem was too many managers. By themselves, most of the managers could be somewhat reasonable, but put together they made the company into a total mess.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:15 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
I eventually discovered that the real problem was too many managers.
Ugh, yes. Six managers in an office of less than 50 is three managers too many. I didn't even have that many managers when there was double the staff. You know you can get rid of a senior manager if their major duties are sending childish emails and regularly stepping into the role of the lowest level manager on staff. Whoa. Did I say that out loud?! Oops...

Old 03-27-2018, 10:34 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Ugh, yes. Six managers in an office of less than 50 is three managers too many. I didn't even have that many managers when there was double the staff. You know you can get rid of a senior manager if their major duties are sending childish emails and regularly stepping into the role of the lowest level manager on staff. Whoa. Did I say that out loud?! Oops...
16 or so direct reports is too many.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:30 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
When they don't resolve anything in the workplace.

We have a few useless people where I work in otherwise a pretty good team. There is no "mind your own business" and "mind your own work" because all of the work is shared. So you could end up doing 75% while someone else is doing 25%. And that person could be a lead!

I've even reported to my boss about someone doing something blatantly wrong (involves patient care) and nothing was done. What a joke. No one gets written up for anything so why care about what is right and wrong?

We have new management coming in so I am crossing my fingers but not too hopeful.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:40 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
16 or so direct reports is too many.
I am not giving an accurate number of the direct reports. It is less than 50. At least 10 less. I can't be very descriptive but there is NO reason to have six managers in a small office. None. Also, a competent manager (keyword) can definitely manager 16 direct reports. Is it ideal? No. Is it a good long-term strategy? No. But I have seen it done, and much more successfully than the place with too many chiefs.

Old 03-28-2018, 12:49 AM

24,632 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Micromanaging, controlling, passive aggressive or rude managers. Managers who ask for input, changes, concerns, or complaints then ignore all of them.

Being rude/attitude is the quickest way to get on someone's bad side. Rudeness is disrespectful and that's not acceptable. I don't care how far up the leadership chain you are, I'm going to be rude right back. Some things are worth being in the dog house or terminated over.

Old 03-28-2018, 05:37 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
I want a manager who acts like a manager. Some feel they have to be one of the guys way too much, and it makes for weak leadership. I also don't want to see managers playing around on their cell phones and computers half the day, on non business matters. It just sets the tone for a workplace that does exactly the same things.

Not saying they need to rule with an iron glove, but just act like a manager.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:04 AM

24,632 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Female managers who feel they need to be tough or harsh to overcompensate for being female. I’ve seen this way too often. They have some sick vendetta against men or those under them and want to make their lives miserable. IMO

Old 03-28-2018, 07:44 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,460 times
Default May I add...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Managers who ask for input, changes, concerns, or complaints then ignore all of them.
Managers who ask for input, then use it against you when you're open and honest with them.

I've had six management changes in two years in the same department. It is official that I did not pick any of the managers I've had recently. I chose to work with the manager who hired me, who was then fired a month into my working tenure.

The newest manager to come in is a mid- to late-20s woman, maybe about four years removed from her undergrad studies in Psychology. Minimal experience in managing corporate, white collar professionals, let alone minimal experience in our area of expertise altogether. She was brought in through cronyism, plain and simple (I'll get to that later).

Anyway, during our initial 1-on-1 sessions, I was forthright in that I was not satisfied in how things have been going in our department (tactfully and professionally obviously). I've literally had to start over on my path five times prior to her coming on. All of the accomplishments I've had, all of the accolades, they all mean nothing to each incoming manager. And I explained to her that I have not being used for what I was hired for (technical data/business analytics). I had absorbed every minute administrative task from outgoing administrative task members instead, because I was the new guy, and we didn't have a manager for about two months to push back for me. So basically, I had become a glorified administrative assistant in my Senior Analyst role making nearly $70k/yr. Obviously, this is not why I accepted the job, and obviously I am not pleased with this outcome. A) Who in their right mind is going to pay $70k/yr for administrative assistance, and B) how am I growing and developing in my career when I'm stuck doing work that I did 15 years ago as an administrative assistant? It's complete BS, and I need to do what's in my best interest to preserve my career trajectory.

Do you know what she did? She ran to her former manager, who is now a big shot C-level executive in the org, who is not even in our organization reporting structure. She went over our director's head (her boss and mine), and she told on me to the C-level exec, and lied to him that analysis and reporting wasn't even in my job description (yet, it was; my director and I later pointed that out). She (and her former boss) then proceeded to dump more administrative duties onto me: mailing out materials for a failing welfare assistance program that was ultimately shut down due to lack of resources.

And people question me why I leave jobs...this is why. I'm not leaving the job in so much as I'm leaving the crap manager that I inherited through no choice of my own, who doesn't know how to bleeping manage their resources.

Last edited by Left-handed; 03-28-2018 at 08:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment