Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 12:52 PM

497 posts, read 422,820 times

Advertisements

I couldn't work under those conditions at all.

I would try to learn from those mistakes, look for another job and it is up to you, but you can confront him on his behaviour. Obviously, you can rely on him to use as a reference, so this is a real bad situation.

I had something similar working at a law firm. I've never put them on my resume once I got another job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 12:57 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
Mistakes in the workplace:Focus on the process not on the person. Document what you can(ex some work processes promoate mistakes and as an employee you cannot change the workplace but you can document your recommendation) Study the mistake and focus on how to avoid the same mistake in the futute. Document everything and record everything. If you are licensed by others outside of the workplace you may be asked to provide such information. Be accountable. Triple check your work.
Ideally, you are correct. Things should work this way.

It is possible that the OP is describing a boss who is a bit sociopathic, thriving on power and abusing employees. In that case, none of your suggestions are going to help. You are likely to get a number of responses such as:

How DARE you question the company process? Who do you think you are? You are simply a peon with no experience.

or

Why do you spend all of your time documenting things? We don't pay you to keep a diary, we pay you to work. You could be so much more productive if you actually did your job.

or

Triple checking? What a waste of time. If you understood your job and were competent you would do it right the first time.

A crazy boss will look for opportunities to lash out, berate and belittle. S/he will thrive on seeing you scurry trying to avoid mistakes, documenting stuff, only to finally make a mistake (because we all do), and then will come down on you even harder.

Old 03-25-2018, 01:36 PM

497 posts, read 422,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post

It is possible that the OP is describing a boss who is a bit sociopathic, thriving on power and abusing employees. In that case, none of your suggestions are going to help. You are likely to get a number of responses such as:

How DARE you question the company process? Who do you think you are? You are simply a peon with no experience.

or

Why do you spend all of your time documenting things? We don't pay you to keep a diary, we pay you to work. You could be so much more productive if you actually did your job.

or

Triple checking? What a waste of time. If you understood your job and were competent you would do it right the first time.

A crazy boss will look for opportunities to lash out, berate and belittle. S/he will thrive on seeing you scurry trying to avoid mistakes, documenting stuff, only to finally make a mistake (because we all do), and then will come down on you even harder.
I agree with you.

This can cause me great stress and eventually, it break you down as a person.

Old 03-25-2018, 01:50 PM

370 posts, read 504,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post

or

or

Your post really spoke to me..triple checking mistakes only to now be slow - and that will cause this person to lash out. I recently uncovered a HUGE mistake on a coding issue and this boss barely blinked an eye (almost looked annoyed) but I make any mistake and it's WWIII. When you have a boss constantly watching you lose concentration, motivation, and reason to do your best.

One could say this person is driving me out - and to be honest, I know if I never went back my sanity would improve, health improvement, and not surrounded by people that make me miserable. It's something I have to think about.

I have asked to go into another area but was denied multiple times. It's not going to get better...I know once I leave this job that it will be a job I rarely think about. It will be a memory I will push out - and hopefully bury in my resume after a couple of years...taking it off will be something to consider.

Thank you for all your comments - I will not lie if for the last couple of months despair was beyond bad that I thought of suicide.. I pray for peace.

Old 03-25-2018, 01:52 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,056,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieLand09 View Post
I have a boss with a very strong personality, and a temper I have never witnessed in the work force before. I live in fear of waking the dragon - as I call it. I realized what triggers set this person off and avoid it - such interrupting this person as they go off or defending yourself - sets them off even more. They also love walking to other people's office or texting right after it so you sit in your chair in despair. As they leave for the day, the look they give you would turn you to stone if it could.
This past week I made two mistakes believing the automatic process worked perfectly. It was me, and I apologized. I was covering another shift so wasn't concentrating and apologized to them. It was one of the worst days of my life. It was this that set them off and soon they were calling in their office questioning me on something else - the day seemed to fall apart.
I won't go into it any more but it left me shaking. I actually went home in such despair that honestly it had me up all night.
How do you handle mistakes? What is the best way to handle someone who seems to blow up on mistakes? I have no idea what this next week brings - if she will write me up, fire me. They made such a big deal on this that it wouldn't surprise me. - but I know I need advice for the future on any pointers you can give me. I know I want a mentor and not someone who leaves me shaking.

Thank you
Never, ever forget that ,in America, slavery is not a recognized form of employment.

Don't like it leave. You'll find another job.

Old 03-25-2018, 01:52 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Had a boss like that and there is absolutely nothing you can do to avoid the triggers. Because they will find a reason to go off simply because they like it. Even if you do exactly what they ask 100% perfect, it still won't be good enough or done right. It has nothing to do with you and everything with their own personality. Best I can offer is to start looking for a different job because the boss is not going to change. Good luck.
I completely agree. Find another job. I don't say that flippantly. I stayed because my boss had to retire at some point but had he not.. I would have left because as was stated above.. you will never stop this. This is what he likes.

Old 03-25-2018, 02:51 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
I have a boss with a very strong personality, and a temper I have never witnessed in the work force before. I live in fear of waking the dragon - as I call it. I realized what triggers set this person off and avoid it - such interrupting this person as they go off or defending yourself - sets them off even more. They also love walking to other people's office or texting right after it so you sit in your chair in despair. As they leave for the day, the look they give you would turn you to stone if it could.
This past week I made two mistakes believing the automatic process worked perfectly. It was me, and I apologized. I was covering another shift so wasn't concentrating and apologized to them. It was one of the worst days of my life. It was this that set them off and soon they were calling in their office questioning me on something else - the day seemed to fall apart.
I won't go into it any more but it left me shaking. I actually went home in such despair that honestly it had me up all night.
How do you handle mistakes? What is the best way to handle someone who seems to blow up on mistakes? I have no idea what this next week brings - if she will write me up, fire me. They made such a big deal on this that it wouldn't surprise me. - but I know I need advice for the future on any pointers you can give me. I know I want a mentor and not someone who leaves me shaking.

Thank you
TOXIC WORKPLACE....Find another job

Had a job like that. Great job then company bought another company and kept the VP of the one they bought. I didn't let it bother me

Job turned to crap overnight

Spent six months looking and found a VP Sales and Marketing position and gave notice the next day. He showed me the door. Big deal!

I got the last laugh because they just purchased 3, non refundable/transferable tickets for first class trips to Asia and Europe for me.

For the record, he only lasted another 3 months and they begged me to return. But, the new job was even better, so I turned them down

Old 03-25-2018, 05:35 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:

Thank you
In the situations you described when you did make a mistake, you did what any responsible person would....you fessed up, apologized and hopefully (most likely) would avoid the same again. No rational person can demand more than that. Remind yourself of what you DO well, what you DO right. That you can see both sides of a mistake and own it. You were not hiding anything, right? Nothing to feel overly guilty about, right? Sounds like it. This is the little recording to take home at the end of the day, not the despair. Chances are, your co-workers and other managers also see it and are sympathetic. This boss sounds off the rails, but I suspect you will learn more about workplaces because of a difficult boss than a one who is too laid-back.

Old 03-25-2018, 07:44 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
There's no way the mental and physical stress is worth it. Look for another job and try to find a way to make it bearable until you leave. If you get fired you'll definitely get unemployment at least. If I was in your situation I'd assume I was getting fired if I did the right thing, the wrong thing, anything, or nothing. So then it doesn't matter so much what you do because with a psycho like that in charge there's no right thing. Hopefully that will help you worry a little less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment