Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 12:05 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,475,295 times

Advertisements

For example: Being put on a poor performing team, with poor management. Not receiving any training or guidance in a new role. Being stuck with the stigma of a bad team or manager, where other department heads simply don't trust your abilities and won't give you a shot to prove yourself. You went from being a super star in past roles, but suddenly at the new company, in the new role, you're viewed as incompetent even though you've done a fairly good job given how little resources you were given from the start.

Did you stay and overcome? Did you move on? After how much time did you give it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 12:17 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Absolutely.

The last job was as a counterpart to someone who had been in the role for twenty years, and was the only person doing that role in the company. She hoarded knowledge. Within a few months, I was on a PIP and on my way out. Another colleague in another department said the same thing happened to the guy before me. A few months later, another guy was hired for the role and we connected on LinkedIn. Some time after that, he messages me "wanting to talk," and had the exact same experience I did.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:33 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times
Yes. The truth was revealed...which is what usually happens in these situations. Sometimes it just takes a lot of time (and energy). "What happens in the dark..."

Old 03-26-2018, 03:49 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
My last job was a combination of many of the above. The lack of training wasn’t that big of a deal because everyone was in the same boat in that respect. However, my department head decided he wanted the position I was in relocated to HQ. The head of the organization doesn’t believe in firing people unless it is performance based, so he just made it as miserable as possible for everyone in the positions around the state. He gave us more duties (with very limited training on how to do them), switched us from a supervisor we all really liked to one who was awful, etc. At that point, I knew it was time to leave and was out in about 4 months from the time I knew it was going to get really bad.

Old 03-26-2018, 05:20 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Yes, a couple of times, both personally and organizationally. One time I was in an organization where pretty much everyone was a top performer. But the senior manager a couple levels above us got in a (**ing contest with another organization over bringing in new technology to the mission. He wrestled it away from the other organization and into his and because he wanted to show how bad it was -- IE he wanted it to fail. Since the group I was in was in the same geographic location as the customer, we were given the task. But he then proceeded to withhold every single support system -- engineering, purchasing, etc, from us. And provided just enough funding so he wouldn't be blamed.

The cool thing was, without all the formal organizational "help" hindering us, we moved out and came in faster and cheaper than expected. The project turned into a big success. His organization was shut down and moved, my immediate boss was promoted into his job, and the new system we developed became the standard system used, closing down the old system he was trying to protect.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:32 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
I was hired to be the VP’s fall guy. I started and she refused to meet with me, train me, invite me on to calls or do any training. It was truly bizarre. It was a well paying gig and she wouldn’t give me any work. I drove an hour commute each way. Every time something went wrong with a client, my fault. I gave up and quit.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:31 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times
Yep. It’s always been my theory of why higher ups will bring on a few incompetent people. You have to have a few people lined up to be the “fall guy” when crap goes downhill. Since you know, adults aren’t going to take responsibility for their own failures. Especially corporate sociopaths.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:33 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,915,239 times
Keep detailed notes from every meeting and explicitly call out your concerns in writing. Document everything on a daily basis. It's much more difficult to be the fall guy if you have written proof of pointing out the risks and concerns.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:50 AM

757 posts, read 1,093,864 times
Yep, I once was hired for a job that was nowhere near the real job when I began my employment (bait and switch). The skills gap was so far wide that there was no way to do the "new job" well enough in a short period of time to keep it and do the job well. It was like asking a truck driver to become a sales analyst in three weeks.

I was then put on a performance plan and was blamed for the problem.

I showed upper management the job description from when I interviewed and then showed them their "new" requirements and asked if they thought it was a reasonable request. Management didn't say much and took my manager's side.

I then quit and went on unemployment. I actually won that UE case which was at least a good thing.

The sad part is that I was totally shocked and thought that this never happens in the corporate world. When I began speaking about it to various colleagues, they said, "oh yeah, I've had that happen before or have seen it before".

This company paid for me to relocate so they had a vested interest in making sure I was the guy for the job. All that money they spent in the hiring process just to have me quit. Never made sense to me.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:56 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,475,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UEHelp View Post
Yep, I once was hired for a job that was nowhere near the real job when I began my employment (bait and switch). The skills gap was so far wide that there was no way to do the "new job" well enough in a short period of time to keep it and do the job well. It was like asking a truck driver to become a sales analyst in three weeks.

I was then put on a performance plan and was blamed for the problem.

I showed upper management the job description from when I interviewed and then showed them their "new" requirements and asked if they thought it was a reasonable request. Management didn't say much and took my manager's side.

I then quit and went on unemployment. I actually won that UE case which was at least a good thing.

The sad part is that I was totally shocked and thought that this never happens in the corporate world. When I began speaking about it to various colleagues, they said, "oh yeah, I've had that happen before or have seen it before".

This company paid for me to relocate so they had a vested interest in making sure I was the guy for the job. All that money they spent in the hiring process just to have me quit. Never made sense to me.
Aside from the relocation part, this sounds like my last gig. Except it was the other way around. I was hired in as a Senior Analyst, just to find out that I would be doing the same document review that all the junior level people were doing well below my pay grade. There was no communication to what the end goal was, and when I expressed to my manager that I was interested in doing more analysis, he kind of snapped at me and blamed me for the misunderstanding of what the role was meant for.

I left after eight months, when it became apparent that he was not supportive of my goals and became more hostile with his treatment of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment