Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 11:53 AM

50,702 posts, read 36,402,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
And I'm saying not everyone finds silence "uncomfortable." Some of us find having to make mindless conversation with strangers (or coworkers) "uncomfortable."
Then one shouldn't be in that sort of job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 11:53 AM

21,880 posts, read 12,930,704 times
Maybe one shouldn't take Uber alone if one requires constant conversation! That's not the service for which you're paying.

Old 04-02-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Maybe one shouldn't take Uber alone if one requires constant conversation! That's not the service for which you're paying.
No one said constant conversation, why do you guys keep rushing to extremes and believing the only choices are total quiet or non-stop chatter? Both are extreme and out of the norm.

But my Uber people generally ask how I am today or some sort of pleasantries, just a little small talk, that's all.

Old 04-02-2018, 12:20 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,744,445 times
Quote:
And I'm saying not everyone finds silence "uncomfortable." Some of us find having to make mindless conversation with strangers (or coworkers) "uncomfortable."
I am not a fan of small talk either but at times it's necessary in the workplace.

Old 04-02-2018, 12:21 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,744,445 times
Quote:

You are supposed to speak when someone gets inside your car.

Old 04-02-2018, 01:05 PM

128 posts, read 208,038 times
Quote:
Introverts can't be quick with comebacks? I really wish extroverts would educate themselves about us...
People seem to think introverts are spineless and whimpy simply because we don't let everyone know our every thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I'm friendly to coworkers but don't hang out with them on the weekends. The less potential for gossip the better.
My co-workers would be amazed at my active social life. I keep my work life and personal life very separate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
someone who is always quiet tend to make people uncomfortable,
You have to ask yourself why you can't accept that everyone has a different personality. One is not better than the other, simply different. We are not talking creepy quiet, where the other person is staring at you and not saying anything, right? I detest chit chat. I am comfortable with silence. What I am NOT comfortable with is a person who constantly has to talk talk talk talk to fill the imagined void. You would make me uncomfortable and annoyed.

Quote:
Because it's not normal human behavior for a grown person. Just like the other day I took a lyft home from work and the driver never spoke or say anything once I got in the car which made the ride uncomfortable.
You paid for a ride home. You knew this would not be a networking event, a meet and greet, or a social opportunity. You got what you paid for. Would you have liked to have some interaction? Seems so, and that's ok. But the other person didn't see the need to talk, and guess what? That is normal!

Quote:
The point is the lyft driver didn't say anything the entire 30 minute ride which made the ride uncomfortable.
Again... You paid for a ride home. You knew this would not be a networking event, a meet and greet, or a social opportunity. You got what you paid for. Would you have liked to have some interaction? Seems so, and that's ok. But the other person didn't see the need to talk, and guess what? That is normal too!

Quote:
I don't like mindless conversation with anyone. I'm an extroverted introvert, but please believe, an introvert. I can talk, mingle, chit chat whenever I don't want to, and I do it well. But I pay the price for it. After doing so, I need to retreat, if you will, and recharge with some alone time, so I can get ready for the next interaction. It's draining being around people who talk talk talk talk....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Then one shouldn't be in that sort of job.
What? having a conversation the length of the drive is not a requirement to drive a ride share vehicle.

Quote:
Thank You!

Quote:
I am not a fan of small talk either but at times it's necessary in the workplace.
Who says an introvert wouldn't do small talk if they saw it was necessary? As adults we do things all the time that will benefit us even though we may not like it. EachI have a breakfast or lunch meeting I dread going. Every.single.time! (And I always wonder we can't talk about this via email, or a teleconference) I hate chit chat. But I suck it up and do it because it is apart of my job.

Old 04-02-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~A New Me~ View Post
People seem to think introverts are spineless and whimpy simply because we don't let everyone know our every thought.

My co-workers would be amazed at my active social life. I keep my work life and personal life very separate.

You have to ask yourself why you can't accept that everyone has a different personality. One is not better than the other, simply different. We are not talking creepy quiet, where the other person is staring at you and not saying anything, right? I detest chit chat. I am comfortable with silence. What I am NOT comfortable with is a person who constantly has to talk talk talk talk to fill the imagined void. You would make me uncomfortable and annoyed.

You paid for a ride home. You knew this would not be a networking event, a meet and greet, or a social opportunity. You got what you paid for. Would you have liked to have some interaction? Seems so, and that's ok. But the other person didn't see the need to talk, and guess what? That is normal!

Again... You paid for a ride home. You knew this would not be a networking event, a meet and greet, or a social opportunity. You got what you paid for. Would you have liked to have some interaction? Seems so, and that's ok. But the other person didn't see the need to talk, and guess what? That is normal too!

I don't like mindless conversation with anyone. I'm an extroverted introvert, but please believe, an introvert. I can talk, mingle, chit chat whenever I don't want to, and I do it well. But I pay the price for it. After doing so, I need to retreat, if you will, and recharge with some alone time, so I can get ready for the next interaction. It's draining being around people who talk talk talk talk....

What? having a conversation the length of the drive is not a requirement to drive a ride share vehicle.

Thank You!

Who says an introvert wouldn't do small talk if they saw it was necessary? As adults we do things all the time that will benefit us even though we may not like it. EachI have a breakfast or lunch meeting I dread going. Every.single.time! (And I always wonder we can't talk about this via email, or a teleconference) I hate chit chat. But I suck it up and do it because it is apart of my job.

Again, no one said anything about having a conversation the entire length of the drive? I used "How are you" as an example, not "tell me your life story."

No one here is saying you can't be quiet at work. As I said I too am a loner who used to eat in my car to avoid the teacher's room. But that is NOT the same as the topic, with being rude and passive-aggressive to let it be known you want nothing to do with your co-workers unless it pertains to work. You can be a quiet person and still take a glance and say "he's a cutie" when someone says "look at the new puppy we got this weekend!" and puts her phone your way. In fact it probably takes way longer to try to give the person a hint that you don't want to be asked than to just make a polite comment and go back to work.

I still maintain a person who cringes at the thought of exchanging even the most basic of social pleasantries such as "how are you today?" should not be in a job that involves service to the public. Nothing against that person, it's just not the right fit for that personality type.

Saying I don't have the personality type to be a talk show host, which I don't, is not an insult to me. I don't feel the need to put down talk show hosts because I don't have that personality.

Old 04-02-2018, 01:47 PM

128 posts, read 208,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Again, no one said anything about having a conversation the entire length of the drive? I used "How are you" as an example, not "tell me your life story."

No one here is saying you can't be quiet at work. As I said I too am a loner who used to eat in my car to avoid the teacher's room. But that is NOT the same as the topic, with being rude and passive-aggressive to let it be known you want nothing to do with your co-workers unless it pertains to work. You can be a quiet person and still take a glance and say "he's a cutie" when someone says "look at the new puppy we got this weekend!" and puts her phone your way. In fact it probably takes way longer to try to give the person a hint that you don't want to be asked than to just make a polite comment and go back to work.

I still maintain a person who cringes at the thought of exchanging even the most basic of social pleasantries such as "how are you today?" should not be in a job that involves service to the public. Nothing against that person, it's just not the right fit for that personality type.

Saying I don't have the personality type to be a talk show host, which I don't, is not an insult to me. I don't feel the need to put down talk show hosts because I don't have that personality.
I don't get that people are being rude though. That's what I'm missing. Basic social courtesies I agree with, but I was under the impression that people will still look at the pic of new baby/kitten/prom whatever/new car/house but secretly hate it. They wouldn't be rude to the person showing it. This may cause them to go a different direction when they see the person coming down the hall to avoid them, but that's ok. Unfortunately you look at one pic, and it can lead to another..and another.

Regarding the Lyft driver who did not say a greeting, I believe that personality type is in the minority. If a person does not want to talk, let him be. The passenger got to his destination safely, so the driver did what he was paid for. The rider received the service he paid for. I see no problem.

Old 04-02-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~A New Me~ View Post
I don't get that people are being rude though. That's what I'm missing. Basic social courtesies I agree with, but I was under the impression that people will still look at the pic of new baby/kitten/prom whatever/new car/house but secretly hate it. They wouldn't be rude to the person showing it. This may cause them to go a different direction when they see the person coming down the hall to avoid them, but that's ok. Unfortunately you look at one pic, and it can lead to another..and another.

Regarding the Lyft driver who did not say a greeting, I believe that personality type is in the minority. If a person does not want to talk, let him be. The passenger got to his destination safely, so the driver did what he was paid for. The rider received the service he paid for. I see no problem.
Look at the title of the thread, "ignoring" is rude. In the OP, he states he acts bored and disinterested if anyone says boo to him that isn't work-related. That is rude and chip in your shoulder stuff, that is not representative of introversion IMO.

When I stated that earlier, when several of us stated that, (not only did I NOT say people should be social at work, I even gave suggestions of simple but polite phrases OP can say to avoid being social while still being polite) we were attacked as extroverted chatty Cathy's who stay 2 hours late every night because we are yakking so much and that we resent quiet people and think they should all be social and chatty.

My own story of my own desire for solitude was ignored completely as people insisted they knew all about my chatty ways.

All for stating that my opinion that one can be quiet and still be polite.

Old 04-02-2018, 02:16 PM

21,880 posts, read 12,930,704 times
Quote:
You are supposed to speak when someone gets inside your car.
The driver has probably learned (the hard way) that with some people, if you open the conversation, you can never close it again -- they talk on and on and on and on. I'm assuming they ask where you're going, or is that information conveyed electronically these days? I don't use Lyft, myself.

There's nothing wrong with saying "Hi, how are you?" but, again, some with a compulsive talking problem will take that as an excuse to tell you in great detail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment