Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 06:05 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,556,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
As an experienced IT worker I will say HELL NO. Unless you want to have the lowest of help desk positions with nights/holidays/weekends etc.

If you are going the IT route (which I don't recommend) you need to be closer to the top of the the heap. Even the "good" jobs are mostly outsourced these days. AND you need to be prepared to reskill and keep current.
It's a step out for a lot of people and no college education is required.

The average salary Help Desk job in NYC is $52,000 to start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 04:22 PM

1,063 posts, read 696,096 times
I've been reading the replies but one thing stood out to me. You are in some no-named town in Georgia.

I think this is 99% of your problem right here.

Small towns will suck the life out of you unless you actively choose to be there. You need to relocate. Had another guy I was mentoring who lived in Marietta or some other backwoods county in Georgia and could not for the life of him get out of retail work. I said of course not. There's nothing but Applebees and Olive Gardens for miles around you. Of course you can't!

MOVE.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:04 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
I've been reading the replies but one thing stood out to me. You are in some no-named town in Georgia.\
Actually, Morrow is a suburb about 15 miles from Atlanta. So there should be plenty of jobs within commuting distance.

Old 04-24-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Actually, Morrow is a suburb about 15 miles from Atlanta. So there should be plenty of jobs within commuting distance.
You'd be surprised. There are towns 15 miles from NYC with ZERO employment opportunities. Dead towns!

With the traffic. 15 miles could be 2 hours.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:43 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
You'd be surprised. There are towns 15 miles from NYC with ZERO employment opportunities. Dead towns!

With the traffic. 15 miles could be 2 hours.
You obviously know nothing about Georgia. And Marietta is not some "backwoods County in Georgia" either. It's a very prosperous and desirable suburb of Atlanta.

https://results.searchlock.com/searc...gle&chnm=store

Get your facts straight before spewing such nonsense.

Old 04-25-2018, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
You obviously know nothing about Georgia. And Marietta is not some "backwoods County in Georgia" either. It's a very prosperous and desirable suburb of Atlanta.

https://results.searchlock.com/searc...gle&chnm=store

Get your facts straight before spewing such nonsense.
Does prosperous indicate multiple employment opportunities for young inexperienced entry level candidates?

No. Prosperous for WHOM? Likely experienced veterans in any given industry with families.

Old 04-25-2018, 01:38 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Does prosperous indicate multiple employment opportunities for young inexperienced entry level candidates?

No. Prosperous for WHOM? Likely experienced veterans in any given industry with families.
You are clearly ignorant of the area being discussed, having labeled it as 'some backwater.' You have no idea of what you are talking about, period.

Marietta is in Cobb County, one of the most dynamic areas in the Atlanta Metro. Unemployment is low, the area is booming and there are PLENTY of entry-level jobs for people with the right attitude willing to be trained.

You are coming off as the stereotypical negative and provincial New Yorker that knows little to nothing of other regions, yet refuses to admit it. Just stop before you embarrass yourself any further.

Last edited by JMatl; 04-25-2018 at 02:00 PM..

Old 04-27-2018, 03:56 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,412,949 times
OP, is the job a union position? If not, seniority doesn't hold much too much weight anymore..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment