Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 11:15 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
How do I prove I manage projects even though my official title is not Project Manager?
At my last position, one of my coworkers has his PMP, so he shared many details about it...
In order to take it, you need a project manager to "sign off" that you've had pM experience. You don't have to be an actual manager yourself. You can ask a pM or other manager if you can shadow them, and that can count.

I'm told that PMP pass rate is 20% for the 1st attempt, and 35% after 2 attempts, so it definitely isn't easy. For that as part of that reason, I'm guessing that's why it's much more highly sought after. It can open doors, and/or up your rate.

I don't know about CAPM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 11:21 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Does the certificate need to be renewed?

I think for me the CAPM is better. I don't really know what I do can be considered project management but I consider it to be. I manage deliverables, I budget and create estimates, I keep track of where each client is in the process. They just don't call my title 'Project Manager.'
The CAPM has to be renewed every five years.

Again, most corporate jobs with the title Project Manager will be for IT related projects. Very few companies use the PM title for non-technology project type work.

Non tech people can still get a PMP. Go over to indeed dot com and read the job descriptions for jobs with the Project Manager title.

Old 04-03-2018, 01:21 PM

1,073 posts, read 622,665 times
Quote:
Yes, 6 years now.

Been in the workforce 13 years but the first 7 was a different kind of work.

I do feel I am borderline but I think by having the certificate perhaps it will help me transition into more of a PM role... which I do want to do... but I am wondering if I would even qualify, if I would even pass & if it's even worth it.
Ugh. The problem with getting the CAPM I mentioned above. People with this certification are seen as really new in the industry-- which you clearly are not. This could actually hurt you in pursuit of a position. Why? Because if I'm a hiring manager for a PM position and I see that you just got the CAPM certification I'd be hesitant to think you are experienced and can do the job.

Do you work with any PMPs at your office? What is their take? Someone above me posted that you need to get a PM to signoff on you that you've done the work. This is only true if the PMI audits you (and it's completely random). You will need to have their names entered into the application process. So big advice-- be sure they know what you are signing up for and why you want to get certified for if/when the questions comes (from PMI).

The job title doesn't matter-- if you have done the work of a PM and can have these people speak for you if you are audited then you should be good to take the PMP exam.

If you are really struggling with the decision go to the PMI site and you can speak to someone at PMI via the certification link I believe.

One other note-- I would also be hesitant in taking advice from a non-PMP about whether you should get the certification or not. The reason is they generally think its not needed. While I would agree that the certification does not make you a better project manager it does give you a step up if you are in the running of a position with someone that does not have it.

Old 04-03-2018, 04:22 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Yeah, anyone who can make the proper justification on the application can get a PMP. The issue is pursuing future PM jobs. Having a decade or more of non-tech experience and a PMP may be an issue. I'm speaking from experience. I had to shift from non-tech to hands on tech work. Having a certification with no experience may not help much if pursuing an actual tech position.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:00 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Yeah, anyone who can make the proper justification on the application can get a PMP. The issue is pursuing future PM jobs. Having a decade or more of non-tech experience and a PMP may be an issue. I'm speaking from experience. I had to shift from non-tech to hands on tech work. Having a certification with no experience may not help much if pursuing an actual tech position.
My work is non-tech.

Old 04-05-2018, 04:14 PM

989 posts, read 1,877,294 times
I took the CAPM exam last year. It took me about 5 months to do while working full time. This comprised of taking a mandatory 23 hour online (PMI) Project Management course, weekends studying the PMBOK Guide at the local public library, and taking practice exams.

Old 09-27-2018, 01:30 AM

6 posts, read 4,855 times
Smile Project Management Certification

Quote:
I'm currently a project manager looking to advance my career. I've gotten this far by hustling lol but I have no certification or formal education in project management. I just kinda fell into the line of work. It seems most higher level jobs want the CAPM or PMP certificate.

Does anyone have this and is it worth it? Did you do it online? How much was it?

Most of the higher level PM jobs do need certifications, as certification act as a validation of your advanced skills and knowledge in the domain. And since you have mentioned you do not have any formal education, you could use the certification to bridge that formal education gap.

CAPM or PMP, these certifications are not easy to attain, therefore by getting the certification it naturally eliminates the need for formal education the employer seeks.

Old 12-17-2020, 03:48 AM

1 posts, read 275 times
My pmp certification course process is ongoing. Currently i am doing this course from Careerera.

Old 12-17-2020, 04:47 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,372,869 times
Quote:
I'm currently a project manager looking to advance my career. I've gotten this far by hustling lol but I have no certification or formal education in project management. I just kinda fell into the line of work. It seems most higher level jobs want the CAPM or PMP certificate.

Does anyone have this and is it worth it? Did you do it online? How much was it?
There are two reasons to get a PMP. One is the employer actually wants you to get one. Which means they will also support you to pay for it and give you time off from work if needed to study and take the exam. After completing it, it might simply be part of the requirement for your job, or they may give you a new role. Or decide to not put you on the layoff list cause you have something that value that others don't.

The other larger benefit of getting a PMP, is that it gives you great coverage of many aspects of Project Management. Plus when you go to look for a job that has PMP in the requirements, you will be singled out against the others that don't have it.

But just like a college degree or knowing a specific programming language, that alone isn't going to be what gets you hired or promoted. I think it is important to mention this, because with certifications like college degrees, too many people are asking what single thing they have to do which is going to ensure an easy life. That doesn't exist. Demonstrating that you are more than being able to pass exams is the greater value to an employer.

Old 12-17-2020, 05:29 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,460,224 times
PMP, employer nominated me to become one. Ie. "So I have to spend another number of months in my room studying again? No one else is qualified?" I didn't say that, but the big boss and my manager walked over to my desk one morning and said they needed a PMP in the group and I had been selected.

I get lots of job inquiries and offers for application to companies on my linkedin account even though I am not looking for a job. That PMP behind your name seems to get "like connections" in the hundreds. I think it opens doors. It also did positively impact the job I do now. I believe the application process is less rigorous now from what it used to be.

The exam changes about every 3 years, same with the PMBOK. You do have to keep on your PDUs. I have no desire to retest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment