Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 08:19 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times

Advertisements

Well,in correctional(prison) nursing,we are told not to wear any.

I love makeup because i look horrid without it,and get tired of other people asking me "What is wrong?"

But i do get the gist of not wearing any in an all male prison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 08:56 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,125,760 times
Reading through this, I am really rather shocked at the prevailing belief that "professional" and "upscale" means that make-up is expected. But, it seems, in all the talk of lip gloss, mascara, and light foundation, it only seems to be expected for women.

I am not a feminist be any stretch of the word, but, my god, am I the only one who thinks face paint as an expectation for only women is some sort of 1950s misogynist idea?

Why are women only expected to brighten up their face with other colors and paints?

BTW, I am a woman, and I do wear make-up every day. And I certainly expect all of my employees to have a professional appearance. But I would never expect them to have to wear make-up unless they were in a job that would require so of BOTH the males and females.

Old 04-06-2018, 03:19 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,234,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I applied for a job recently at an upscale retail store. The interview was going well, I had the required experience, and I project a polished, well groomed, professional image. Until the manager asked me about wearing makeup. I don't wear any, ever. She said I was beautiful and I didn't have to wear any, but I got the distinct impression that wasn't true and that the company wanted their female employees to wear makeup. I know that the US still allows employers to require female employees to wear makeup, but unless I get a job as a clown, why should I have to wear it?

It's expensive, I feel fake wearing it, it sometimes causes me to break out, and I'm not getting paid a gender differential to buy it. I know posters will say, "Just don't take the job," but is there a real reason to require it? And what of high heels? Fortunately this position doesn't require those, but she kept bringing up the makeup, and I nicely but firmly told her I would not wear any, along with the honest reason that it makes me break out. If it costs me the job, so be it. I am a good employee and I clean up well without it. On the few occasions I tried it, I truly looked like a clown since I had no idea how to apply it properly anyway, and I'm dark skinned and have been told many times I don't need it

My wife never wears makeup either. She's beautiful without it.

Old 04-06-2018, 05:23 AM

6,115 posts, read 4,607,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Of course it is. It's legal though since makeup status isn't a protected class.
Hmm...Are we really sure about that? Also, some religions forbid makeup so the retailer could find itself on the wrong end of a religious discrimination suit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The legality is questionable, because male employees aren't required to wear it. There was a time when some upscale stores did require men to wear foundation. That phase didn't last long.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:18 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The legality is questionable, because male employees aren't required to wear it. There was a time when some upscale stores did require men to wear foundation. That phase didn't last long.

Would men likely be selling high-end purses?

Old 04-06-2018, 07:23 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
Unless you are selling cosmetics I can see this as being a requirement.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:51 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
She said I was beautiful and I didn't have to wear any, but I got the distinct impression....
Seems they don't require any makeup. Maybe she was just giving you a complement.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:33 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You are pursuing a customer facing role in an upscale retail store. The inquiry seems reasonable. You will make your own decision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
Are they asking you to demo the product lines by chance?

Unfortunately, in sales/customer facing roles, part of the requirement is to look the part. It's about the only reason I might find the request appropriate. Otherwise, I'd advise not working in an environment where you're required to look a certain way if you're not comfortable looking that way.

My advice: find an office job or work from home job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I think it's perfectly legal for an upscale retail store that interacts with the public to require their employees to wear makeup. It's one of those job categories like flight attendants or bartenders.

If this is a deal breaker for the store to continue with the application, might have to try other stores that may have more lenient makeup policies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Well,in correctional(prison) nursing,we are told not to wear any.

I love makeup because i look horrid without it,and get tired of other people asking me "What is wrong?"

But i do get the gist of not wearing any in an all male prison.
With this kind of logic, why don't they enourage you to use makeup to make yourself look uglier? Seriously...it just seems wrong. But of course employers can ask ALMOST anything of employees.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:08 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,255,053 times
As others noted, this likely has to do more with the store customers than anything else. No matter how beautiful someone looks (or think they look) without makeup they might just come across as "unpolished" to the customers.

Sorry but I don't really see this as a human rights issue. If a store needs their employees to look polished to represent their high end brand why can't they expect the male employees to have groomed facial hair and female employees to wear makeup? And it's actually not clear from the OP if it even is indeed a requirement. As long as it's spelled out clearly in the job description there should be no confusion.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:26 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,222,351 times
If their target market is men in this upscale retail store then I'm afraid the more that you look like Amber Heard the better. Since predictions of mall closings are beginning to come true, take the job and retrain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment