Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 10:58 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,222,351 times

Advertisements

A lot of people have made some pretty helpful remarks. This is the bottom line. You are being assigned 100+ hours of work a week. You have the luxury of being able to farm the work out to contract workers. Are you their supervisor? If they are paid by the hour, are they extending their work day by dragging out the work?

Talk to your boss. Casually mention to him/her that you can shorten the time expected to do the work. Don't push it. Their may be a consulting company kickback involved.

Another thing that you need to know is that consulting companies try to get as many people into your installation.

Last but not least; through IBM utilities like syncsort, special characters can be inserted into records so that the import function of EXCEL will recognize them and import them into their own columns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 11:46 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
OP, instead of paying by the hour, can you set a flat rate for your sub-contractors for the tasks you need done, and also establish goals for production?

That way, the onus is on the contractor to work quicker if they want a certain level of income coming in.

And, you can also more easily track your contractor performance against your goals.

The downside? It may be harder to find contractors if your ideas about how long tasks should take the average person is unrealistic.

Old 04-06-2018, 03:50 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
It's your job to manage. If you see someone doing something inefficiently, either due to lack of knowledge or intention, your job is to instruct them on how you want it done, and the time frame in which you expect results.

If that does not work, you tell them their help is no longer needed and bring in a different worker.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-06-2018, 06:23 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
BigDGeek,

I understand your points, and I understand why you have chosen the passive path that you have. I am sorry that you went through these things.

That doesn’t make it right.

You mentioned that the two contractors in your anecdote did get fired. It seems that they did not have protection from above. Would they have been fired earlier if you had spoken up? Would the other woman who left still have her job? Would you have been less miserable?

It is a sad fact that women standing up for themselves often aren't believed, and sometimes no action takes place. However, other times it does. I can think of three people I have fired for inappropriate comments/harassment of women. I can think of a few others I probably should have fired, but was unable to do so because the women involved were unwilling to make a statement.

If people never make a stand and get rid of bad employees/contractors, they create bad workplaces. I believe that an active role is better than a passive role.
Corps make it a worse situation btw, by not publicly acknowledging to all employees the exact reason the harasser was fired.

Old 04-09-2018, 02:21 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,657,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
That was me, and that sort of thing goes on all the time. People would be wise to tread carefully when it comes to that, particularly when most of your contractors come from the same sweatshop...oops, I mean "consulting firm", and especially when all the contractors plus whoever is supervising them all come from the same region of the same foreign country.

Just putting that out there. I tipped over someone's apple cart and lost my job over it.
Yes, those things happening. I saw it in one of my previous companies. There were 3 golden kids from certain minority and gender that could not be touched, as they were the "face of the company" in front of a liberal college we worked with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment