Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 11:29 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,185,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
While the discussion has, for the most part, focused on companies who seem to be shooting themselves in the foot by not hiring potentially very good employees for any number of reasons that don't have anything to do with the candidate, sometimes the issue isn't the company -- it is its geographic location.

Iowa’s Employment Problem: Too Many Jobs, Not Enough People; State can’t find enough trainees for its programs

which begins:

It isn't just in Iowa: Wisconsin, Facing a Worker Shortage, Pitches Its Benefits; A State ad campaign aims to poach millennials from nearby states

Indeed, much of the midwest faces record low unemployment rates.
The companies aren't willing to do what it takes to get what they want.

There is no shortage of people in this country.

There are millions of people not working or underemployed. Also, most of those manufacturing jobs don't require anything over a high school education, so the pot is huge when it comes to available workers to work those jobs.

If electricity rates increased in the state of Iowa or Wisconsin, would these companies start screaming about how they can no longer find qualified electricity to buy???????? No way, they would pay it.

Here is a post from another forum on this same article.

Quote:
This is really ridiculous to me. I live in Iowa right now and have applied to half a dozen companies needing CNC technicians for their own factories or repair technicians for machines at other businesses. I am college educated and have experience operating and repairing 3D printers which are essentially CNC machines. I would have required very little training and I am a capable, reliable guy who picks things up very quickly.
You know how many of those companies even bothered to follow up with me? Not a single one.
I often wonder just how much these companies really want to hire. All I see around me is people wanting to work, people applying, but very little getting hired.

Last edited by High Altitude; 05-01-2018 at 11:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 12:50 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
While the discussion has, for the most part, focused on companies who seem to be shooting themselves in the foot by not hiring potentially very good employees for any number of reasons that don't have anything to do with the candidate, sometimes the issue isn't the company -- it is its geographic location.

Iowa’s Employment Problem: Too Many Jobs, Not Enough People; State can’t find enough trainees for its programs

which begins:

It isn't just in Iowa: Wisconsin, Facing a Worker Shortage, Pitches Its Benefits; A State ad campaign aims to poach millennials from nearby states

Indeed, much of the midwest faces record low unemployment rates. Textbook economics would say that employers just need to raise wages sufficiently to encourage out-of-state job-seekers to relocate, or to encourage out-of-the-workforce former employees to re-enter the workforce.
Honestly, it's been that way for quite some time.

When I graduated college in 2010, I couldn't even land a bank teller's position locally here in Tennessee, despite a related degree, related internship, and previous employment. Very little hiring was going on for years. I relocated to Des Moines, IA in 2012. Jobs that paid $7.25/hr in Tennessee frequently paid double that in Iowa. Unemployment was practically nonexistent. Employers (particularly in manufacturing) paid for ads on the radio for applicants. A "apply today, start tomorrow" phenomenon. If someone didn't like a job, they could walk across the street to a competitor and find something else.

It was never that way, and still isn't in Tennessee, even as the economy has recovered.

Old 05-01-2018, 03:12 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,661,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
There are millions of people not working or underemployed. Also, most of those manufacturing jobs don't require anything over a high school education, so the pot is huge when it comes to available workers to work those jobs.
Just because someone is available doesn't mean they're qualified. Huge numbers of people are lazy, stupid, unmotivated, care nothing for quality or performance or really anything other than pocketing a check.

Heck, with unemployment as low as it is now (and it is), those who are available are most likely that way because they want to be or because they simply aren't very useful. My employer has dozens to hundreds of openings all... the... time! But they are not for HS dropouts looking for weed money, or someone who majored in ancient Sanskrit women's studies. We need smart people with strong technical & engineering backgrounds; or at least a solid, usable education and the ability to learn.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:03 PM

260 posts, read 428,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
I see so many of my friends working 2 jobs to make ends meet. Things are not as rosy as they seem, so please quit with the fake new
True story! I have 3 jobs now, soon to be 4 if you count paid pet/house sitting. I'm still very poor, but I'm happy with what I do. I know promotion comes with more responsibilities, but it would be nice not to live from paycheck to paycheck.

I feel very bad for people still struggling to find work, I've been struggling for years to get even a single minimum wage paying job. I was even turned down from Chick-Fil-A; but on the bright side I got a nice city job with benefits instead! I just looked and looked until I found a job. I've done my share of scrubbing toilets, and still do that sometimes to this day! I was willing to do ANYTHING to prove that I was willing to work. I am so grateful for my blessings. And best of luck to those still looking- don't give up no matter how hard it is, I almost did that myself but everything worked out in the end.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:12 PM

4,961 posts, read 2,709,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileytinn View Post
True story! I have 3 jobs now, soon to be 4 if you count paid pet/house sitting. I'm still very poor, but I'm happy with what I do. I know promotion comes with more responsibilities, but it would be nice not to live from paycheck to paycheck.

I feel very bad for people still struggling to find work, I've been struggling for years to get even a single minimum wage paying job. I was even turned down from Chick-Fil-A; but on the bright side I got a nice city job with benefits instead! I just looked and looked until I found a job. I've done my share of scrubbing toilets, and still do that sometimes to this day! I was willing to do ANYTHING to prove that I was willing to work. I am so grateful for my blessings. And best of luck to those still looking- don't give up no matter how hard it is, I almost did that myself but everything worked out in the end.
Good thing it worked out for you. But it doesn't work out for many others. What you went through doesn't exactly seem like the American dream. Maybe it is still there, just the standards have been lowered. Treasure your new job. If you lose it you may have to go through a similar rigamarole to get back on your feet. Ain't life grand?

Old 05-01-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
I know of one sure way that they would get good experience. They need to talk to a military recruiter right away. They will get job security, loyalty from the top down, and excellent opportunities for leadership. The Army has the Corps of Engineers, and all services can use business degrees. They will not regret it.
That is a good idea. If you are young enough.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:26 PM

260 posts, read 428,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Good thing it worked out for you. But it doesn't work out for many others. What you went through doesn't exactly seem like the American dream. Maybe it is still there, just the standards have been lowered. Treasure your new job. If you lose it you may have to go through a similar rigamarole to get back on your feet. Ain't life grand?
I do think about that. I believe you are right- they have been significantly lower, I am simply grateful to be able to pay my rent. I hear stories about how a man could support his entire family on one 9-5 income back in the day, but as a millennial I couldn't possibly imagine. As someone who spent years struggling to find a simple Mcjob, I am so grateful to have positions with dignity. Not that it doesn't take a lot of dignity to do a job some people consider beneath them- I mean a sit down job at a desk vs scrubbing a toilet. But in this day and age you have to do what you have to to prove to people you have a work ethic.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileytinn View Post
I do think about that. I believe you are right- they have been significantly lower, I am simply grateful to be able to pay my rent. I hear stories about how a man could support his entire family on one 9-5 income back in the day, but as a millennial I couldn't possibly imagine. As someone who spent years struggling to find a simple Mcjob, I am so grateful to have positions with dignity. Not that it doesn't take a lot of dignity to do a job some people consider beneath them- I mean a sit down job at a desk vs scrubbing a toilet. But in this day and age you have to do what you have to to prove to people you have a work ethic.
Yes, you are right. You have to prove your work ethic. So you have to kowtow and bend down lower and lower until one begins to look like a slave. Definitely not the same as back in the day when a man could support his entire family one one income and have much more dignity and peace of mind.

Old 05-02-2018, 02:05 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,138,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
I see so many of my friends working 2 jobs to make ends meet. Things are not as rosy as they seem, so please quit with the fake new
At the same time, I see so many of my family and friends "kicking butt" in their careers making buku bucks. #realnews

Old 05-02-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
At the same time, I see so many of my family and friends "kicking butt" in their careers making buku bucks. #realnews
But there are not as many as before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment