Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 07:44 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,906,713 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any advice or wisdom on this?

I befriended the guy who sits next to me...we are both the same age (29) and the only people below manager level who have been with the company for over a year.

It started as grabbing coffee in the lunch room but now he is straight up making me look bad at work. I can tell several managers do not like him because he has an attitude and is bitchier than any of the women I have worked with. Yet he has been on the team for 4 years and isnt going anywhere.

He acts possesive over me but I dont think there is a romantic feeling involved as he is married and his only social outlet is his wife.

He always badgers me to leave the office when he wants to but i think only so he is not the first to leave. He will go as far as interupting my concentration repeatedly and even asking over and over again telling me to leave when I am obviously busy.

I

I would never think to badger someone when they are busy. He will also complain about work related things to me in front of my boss or other higher ups on purpose because he thinks they should hear.

That is not my personality and I find it rude. I dont want to be aligned with him at all anymore but he wont leave me alone and when I have tried to be more distant he starts making jokes that I am not working or slacking off. His english is also so bad so he can easily play it off.

How can I get this imbecile to leave me the hell alone without him slandering me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 07:47 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,624,543 times
Be firm and tell him your busy. Since when do you have to leave together? He may be setting you up. Watch out. Remember, you have NO friends at work. Only acquaintances.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:52 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,906,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Be firm and tell him your busy. Since when do you have to leave together? He may be setting you up. Watch out. Remember, you have NO friends at work. Only acquaintances.
Tonight he cane to my desk and just kept asking me over and over again like a petulant child. I almost snapped at him. He wouldnt walk away from my cube after I told him several times I am busy and I even said "you dont have to wait for me" "please do not wait for me". It is embaressing that my team sees me like begging this guy to go away.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:05 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,624,543 times
You may have to get a higher up involved. Just have them put the word on him to leave you alone. They can say they noticed him bothering you so it doesn’t look like you said anything.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:09 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,569,068 times
Quote:
You may have to get a higher up involved. Just have them put the word on him to leave you alone. They can say they noticed him bothering you so it doesn’t look like you said anything.
This. It's borderline harassment. I would counsel with your boss and ask them to either move you, or allow you the liberty of putting Mr. Obnoxious in his place. If they let you, do not be gentle. Be ruthless. It's the only way this guy will get the hint. Let him know he has poked the tiger too much, and he's about to get eaten.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:19 AM

29,513 posts, read 22,636,772 times
HR.

And this, my friends, is precisely why it's best to be cautious about making 'friends' at work.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:19 AM

6,558 posts, read 8,389,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Tonight he cane to my desk and just kept asking me over and over again like a petulant child. I almost snapped at him. He wouldnt walk away from my cube after I told him several times I am busy and I even said "you dont have to wait for me" "please do not wait for me". It is embaressing that my team sees me like begging this guy to go away.
Stand your ground. If he keeps badgering you, tell him "I don't appreciate your badgering. I am not interested." Keep repeating that to him. That's all you need to say.

If he continues, talk to your supervisor because your co-worker is creating a hostile work environment.

I have had to do the same with a colleague. It's come to light that he's made inappropriate remarks to several of my other colleagues. While we are more acquaintances than friends (we work on the same team), we would occasionally sit together at lunch or grab a bite to eat before an evening meeting. As I don't want my professional reputation damaged, I have quit what may have been perceived by others as "socializing" with him. I strictly only interact with him in a professional setting now. It's taken several "No, thank yous" but I think the message has been received.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:24 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,578,602 times
Quote:
This and you may want to try to get moved away from him. Talk to your boss and say that working with him is a strain and explain the leaving thing. If you can get moved he will likely turn his attention elsewhere.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:53 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,916,251 times
Personally, I'd say I am busy, put headphones in and get back to work as if he wasn't standing there.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:01 AM

477 posts, read 840,918 times
Easiest solution would be to tell him to his face that you will not tolerate his behavior. Be very clear. I don't know if you have that in you. If not, start with reading a book or two about assertiveness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment