Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 08:28 AM

192 posts, read 146,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
You're making this WAY harder than it needs to be. As others have said, LEAVE THIS OFF YOUR RESUME! It will be as if you never worked there. If it takes a long time to find a new position your explanation can be any number of things:

1) I took some time off to be with a sick relative
2) I had a baby
3) I am taking a short sabbatical to write a novel
4) I saved up and traveled for the summer/spring/winter/fall

Hell, I had a job for an entire month and never put that down on my resume and just inch up/back the start/stop dates of the two jobs that sandwich it and guess what? It's never been questioned and I've been hired to several new roles since then.
And, if those fudged dates get caught, you can be fired too.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:30 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,702,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racks View Post
Leave it off your resume.

I second that! You only worked there two weeks, that's hardly a gap. If they ask why you left your previous job state that you wanted to focus on finding a better opportunity.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I second that! You only worked there two weeks, that's hardly a gap. If they ask why you left your previous job state that you wanted to focus on finding a better opportunity.
I am still getting over this. The job was more than 5 years...but, hey, I wanted a better chance...at what exactly? This advice, while likely well meaning, raises more red flags than the truth.

I mean, I can hear the hiring manager now...so, you decided to leave a well paying job of 5 years, to what...find yourself? What makes me think you won't do that again?

Old 04-13-2018, 09:18 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,702,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherBeReading View Post
I am still getting over this. The job was more than 5 years...but, hey, I wanted a better chance...at what exactly? This advice, while likely well meaning, raises more red flags than the truth.

I mean, I can hear the hiring manager now...so, you decided to leave a well paying job of 5 years, to what...find yourself? What makes me think you won't do that again?

Ok, well then tell the truth. Not much else you can do.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:24 AM

It would be different if I was trying to explain leaving a position that was short term. But, 5.5 years, and I left on a whim?

Maybe the people on here who work in hiring can assist, but a person who was let go because the person they were replacing didn't leave, vs someone who left their position of 5 years...to help someone move across the country/deal with a health issue of someone else, etc....

The 2nd option sounds loony, raises all sorts of questions...the first being, after 5 years, you didn't have PTO?

Old 04-13-2018, 09:50 AM

8,103 posts, read 8,284,205 times
Former HR Director here. How long ago did you leave the short tenure job?

If very recently, I’d just put it down as your present employment. Then when phoned by a recruiter go ahead and state that you started sending resumes out about 10 days after taking the new opportunity because the incumbent that was training you was not going to be leaving that position afterall. Inevitably, you were released from the position because the old person stayed on. And so you are no longer with the new company.

It happens sometimes and won’t be a big surprise.

Understand that resumes are simply marketig tools and your job now is to get employment; that first phone call or contact from an employer is the first step........nothing on the resume needs to be precise except your qualifications.

Old 04-13-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Former HR Director here. How long ago did you leave the short tenure job?

If very recently, I’d just put it down as your present employment. Then when phoned by a recruiter go ahead and state that you started sending resumes out about 10 days after taking the new opportunity because the incumbent that was training you was not going to be leaving that position afterall. Inevitably, you were released from the position because the old person stayed on. And so you are no longer with the new company.

It happens sometimes and won’t be a big surprise.

Understand that resumes are simply marketig tools and your job now is to get employment; that first phone call or contact from an employer is the first step........nothing on the resume needs to be precise except your qualifications.
Hi.

Wednesday of this week was my last day. And, oddly, you are not far off the mark, as I did start looking casually a few days ago. While I was not anticipating being fired, I was not thrilled with some of the dynamics in the office (the boss though it was ok to berate people, and yell at them across the office, declaring them stupid) so I was already thinking that it was not the place for me.

And, with this in mind, can I leave the job off my resume, send the one that shows the current with the previous, and fix that when I talk to them? I was given this advice by a recruiter, as I accidentally sent the "currently with company xxyyyzzz" to one of the positions I was applying for. And, I may have sent it to others as well. While it wasn't intentional (I thought I updated my resume when I left my old employer, but apparently I didn't) it may work in my favor?

Old 04-13-2018, 10:18 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,020,941 times
Quote:
I love the number of people who don't read a question, reply what they think I asked, and then think I am going to say...oh, they are so smart.

Again, I asked what the opinions were when it came to answering the question about the gap in an interview.

And, all of those might work...if I hadn't had the job for almost 6 years. "Oh, I quit to take an online course because after 6 years I...." Yeah, no.
Ok tell the truth tjen. No company cares if you worked 6 or 16 . Your 1 month company thought you were a fit, but changed their mind in 1 month . Dont think too much from others shoes.

Old 04-13-2018, 12:04 PM

9,349 posts, read 8,268,322 times
Quote:
And, if those fudged dates get caught, you can be fired too.
So I'm off by a month for a job 13 years ago? You really think I'd be FIRED for that? Ridiculous. They vet you on the front end, not during your employment.

I'm starting to get a better picture of you personally and potentially why you were let go. You come here and ask advice, people give it, you throw it back at us and already know what you're going to do.

People skills. You have none.

Old 04-13-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
So I'm off by a month for a job 13 years ago? You really think I'd be FIRED for that? Ridiculous. They vet you on the front end, not during your employment.

I'm starting to get a better picture of you personally and potentially why you were let go. You come here and ask advice, people give it, you throw it back at us and already know what you're going to do.

People skills. You have none.
I wasn't going to reply to your silliness.

And, then, well, I decided to let you know that while I appreciate your time, someone who advises me to lie, and proudly states that he/she has...well, if it's the same to you, I think I will choose to ignore your assessment of my character.

But, thanks for taking the time to share your opinion of me. It was, as I am sure you intended, well-meaning and with no intent to be a jerk in a forum where no one knows you.

Wait.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.