Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 06:29 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,915,239 times

Advertisements

You're still collecting paychecks from them, right?

If so, do your best for the company in the interviews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 08:40 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
You don't know if the person is the best fit. My point is, the interview is a two-way street. I would be turned off by an employer that thought they were doing me a favor by interviewing me. Maybe that sounds arrogant. But I know the value I can bring to your organization. You have an inclination that I can bring value to your company...but you aren't certain (and you won't be until I'm on the job), but the interview allows you to know for sure whether you want to take the chance. The same is true for the candidate, but most candidates don't view themselves that way. The work relationship is one of exchange: money for labor. I am not going to undervalue myself, and if I sense that you don't value me, I will walk. YMMV.
You are right to a certain extent, and the opportunity for the candidate to ask questions at the end provides the opportunity to ask questions to determine whether it’s a good fit for you. Still, we are not going to try and sell you on working for us until we know you are the best candidate. That means after interviewing everyone else, when we make the offer. You can then decline, and we move on to the next.

Old 04-14-2018, 11:21 AM

7,643 posts, read 4,589,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
So, awkward situation. Next week, we are conducting interviews of candidates for a position we have available on the team. Problem is, I am not happy with the company or the direction it is going, and I've been interviewing to leave as well. I feel like I'm not in the best place to try to "sell" this department or organization to someone else. I don't think I can pretend to these candidates that this is a great place to work and provide reasons why they should be excited about this opportunity.

That said, have you ever recused yourself from conducting interviews for a company that you're trying to leave?
That's tough. I was HR for a short time and realized the company was terrible and when asked if I knew people constantly thought....yeah, but I won't bring them here.

So you set your mind to what your job is. You are interviewing for a role. You should be honest about describing the role and what is needed in terms of the workload, and assessing whether the person can do the job in terms of workload. If they ask YOU what You think, then it's fair ground to introduce personal bias. If they don't, you shouldn't introduce it.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:18 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
You don't know if the person is the best fit. My point is, the interview is a two-way street. I would be turned off by an employer that thought they were doing me a favor by interviewing me. Maybe that sounds arrogant. But I know the value I can bring to your organization. You have an inclination that I can bring value to your company...but you aren't certain (and you won't be until I'm on the job), but the interview allows you to know for sure whether you want to take the chance. The same is true for the candidate, but most candidates don't view themselves that way. The work relationship is one of exchange: money for labor. I am not going to undervalue myself, and if I sense that you don't value me, I will walk. YMMV.
I read both your posts and after reading this one I like your ideas on the hiring process. Yo enlightened me with this post and I had a better understanding of what you were said in your earlier post.

I never thought about it being the employers role to work at getting the employee on board. The reason that a candidate it there is the employer should be valuing what they have to offer. If they don't value the candidate then why even have them there in the first place.

It took me a while but I love that concept.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:23 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,427,522 times
Be a professional.

Also, see post #2.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:49 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
I feel your pain I am on a similar situation. That said, be professional. The company I am interviewing with put me with a Vice President who clearly is not happy with the company.

I don’t think she realized how she was coming across, but made me second guess exploring the opportunity further.

Old 04-18-2018, 08:31 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,475,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I feel your pain I am on a similar situation. That said, be professional. The company I am interviewing with put me with a Vice President who clearly is not happy with the company.

I don’t think she realized how she was coming across, but made me second guess exploring the opportunity further.
I hear ya. We had three interviews yesterday, and I think they went well enough. The interviews were structured in an abysmal format. Our inexperienced manager developed a 6-question questionnaire that we were forced to go around the room and read off of. I felt like it was a terrible way to get to know the candidates on a deeper level, and this will be the only interview they have before a decision is made. Anyway, I put my best face on and left it as is. In the back of my mind, I was reminding myself of how grateful I am to be seeking opportunities elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment