Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2018, 08:31 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I agree it's ridiculous in that pot is now legal in many states - but employer drug policies have not changed.

Point to this as well. I have never seen a completely random drug test in my company. If you were in an accident in the company vehicle - then mandatory drug testing. Any person that went out on extended leave for 'rehab' for drug abuse (or alcoholism) - were regularly tested when they came back.

I never head of any co-workers just being 'randomly' tested.

Actually when I was in IBEW we were randomly chosen. We got a letter from our locals and we had to go that day within a few hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
I am not and never have been on drugs. Spoils your contention "everyone" is doesn't it?

I’ve never done drugs. The hardest thing I’ve done was Ibuprofen. I know plenty of people who don’t or never have done drugs. I have a few nephews and nieces who smoke pot and they know I don’t approve. But it’s their life. Eventually there may be consequences to their actions. And they will learn on their own. And nobody smokes it around me or my house.

Op got caught and she’s paying the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 08:31 AM

34,001 posts, read 17,030,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Do the words forgiveness and empathy or even compassion hold any meaning for you? Or, is it sadly more fun to proselytize and chastise a complete stranger for simply being human?
I empathize with her employer, and feel compassion for the employer, too.

Happy?

Old 04-15-2018, 08:34 AM

51 posts, read 57,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I fail to see how getting drunk, or high or stoned results in a person "enjoying" life. Life is best enjoyed when one is clear-headed and completely aware of what is going on around them.

That's an OPINION not a fact. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 04-15-2018, 08:43 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,944,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Start your own company and set drug policies that you believe are correct.
And get ready to pay out the liability claims when your pothead/alcoholic employees hurt a co-worker or member of the public because they weren't mentally coherent enough to pay heed to safety precautions.

Old 04-15-2018, 08:45 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Actually when I was in IBEW we were randomly chosen. We got a letter from our locals and we had to go that day within a few hours.

I’ve never done drugs. The hardest thing I’ve done was Ibuprofen. I know plenty of people who don’t or never have done drugs. I have a few nephews and nieces who smoke pot and they know I don’t approve. But it’s their life. Eventually there may be consequences to their actions. And they will learn on their own. And nobody smokes it around me or my house.

Op got caught and she’s paying the price.
I was just going to post that for some reason, most electricians I've known are stoners, including my late brother. I have noted that for years, because it seems counter-intuitive that people who work with something that could kill you if you make a mistake would use a substance that might distract them up a bit.

My sample is pretty small, though.

Old 04-15-2018, 08:58 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
its not just the drug test, its a condition of employment, our company already told us, if pot becomes legal in our state, it will still become a condition to be fired in you fail the test.

everybody in our company get tested every 45 days, and we also have randoms once a week. When we go on other contractors job site we also get tested again. I guess it more about the lawyers, insurance companies and liability than it would be safety issues.
Yes, if you take a job knowing that testing is a part of the deal, you can't complain if you get tested.

A friend of mine was a regular smoker. He tended bar for years at a popular bar and restaurant. When the kids started coming in rapid succession and he got a chance to work as a conductor on the railroad, he knew that random testing was going to be part of his life from now on if he took the job, but the salary, pension, and benefits outweighed the desire to smoke, so he stopped.

I have another friend who stopped 25 years ago when he became a police officer. He plans to retire next year, and says that the first week of his retirement, he's sitting home with a bag of weed, a bunch of good snacks, and watching Honeymooner reruns.

The OP didn't say what kind of job she has, and in fairness, it doesn't sound as if she was actually smoking on the job but rather got nailed for the residual evidence of smoking on her leisure time. That does kind of suck.

But the puritans had nothing to do with it.

Old 04-15-2018, 09:01 AM

16,266 posts, read 10,392,447 times
Quote:
I fail to see how getting drunk, or high or stoned results in a person "enjoying" life. Life is best enjoyed when one is clear-headed and completely aware of what is going on around them.
Stop being so judgemental still applies. As an atheist I think people who spend so much time going to church are wasting their Sundays. But I would never tell them that because I don't have that right. Same applies to you. Who are you to say the Eagles fan should have remained perfectly sober as his team won their first Super Bowl? Just because you chose to remain sober does not mean you have the right to claim it's the only way to enjoy life.

I get amused at the puritans posting here. As I said the world is changing and your views are antiquated. You remind me of the old racists who refused to change with the times. You don't have to accept drug use, I totally get that. But the attitudes by some that a mother who smoked a little pot is a horrible person is a joke.

Old 04-15-2018, 09:06 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
In any safety sensitive position they drug test. My husband can't drink any alcohol X amount of hours before shift for instance. They do random drug tests a couple of times a year and they would be fired if they failed.

Old 04-15-2018, 09:07 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,944,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I think employers should butt out of people’s lives off the clock.
And if the employee's behavior spills over into their work hours?
Several years ago my employer fired a driver who came to work drunk, and who also tried to get into a physical fight with the foreman who fired him. Do you think they should have let him get into an 80,000 pound flatbed loaded down with several tons of steel and get on the highway anyway, right in the middle of Albany, NY morning rush hour??

This company hasn't been around for 90+ years because they put up with BS like that. You want to work there you either get with the program on Day 1 or you leave. We're non-union, we don't have to carry any dead weight.

Old 04-15-2018, 09:10 AM

16,266 posts, read 10,392,447 times
Quote:
And if the employee's behavior spills over into their work hours?
Several years ago my employer fired a driver who came to work drunk, and who also tried to get into a physical fight with the foreman who fired him. Do you think they should have let him get into an 80,000 pound flatbed loaded down with several tons of steel and get on the highway anyway, right in the middle of Albany, NY morning rush hour??

This company hasn't been around for 90+ years because they put up with BS like that. You want to work there you either get with the program on Day 1 or you leave. We're non-union, we don't have to carry any dead weight.
I must have missed any posts that would imply the poster was OK with someone coming to work drunk.

Try harder to defend your position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment