Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 08:39 PM

8 posts, read 3,516 times

Advertisements

Since I began working professionally, I've always had MS Office and have been pleased with it. I used Google office for a few group projects in college and didn't have a great experience with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 05:41 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
The last couple of places I've consulted at have been Google Offices. There's some things I like, but I honestly hate Gmail and their spreadsheet is a joke. I do like how they can be integrated into things like zoom for meetings that seem easier to build smarter offices.

I'm wondering if this is just a Silicon Valley thing or if Google is getting tractions elsewhere?
Google suite wins for portability when it is used in conjunction with the drive, gmail, etc.

It is odd to me that you mention SV as sheets is notoriously not used in the tech/research sphere, OTOH excel is fairly well hated too.

Old 09-26-2018, 01:21 AM

7,650 posts, read 4,599,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Google suite wins for portability when it is used in conjunction with the drive, gmail, etc.

It is odd to me that you mention SV as sheets is notoriously not used in the tech/research sphere, OTOH excel is fairly well hated too.

Young CEO. It's his only flaw that I can see, so fine. Wants everyone to do everything in Google products. Literally I'll work in Excel on items that need calculations and then copy/paste the output into Google Sheets.

And yes, it can then be shared quite readily and quickly....so long as I remember everyone that needs to get it. Of course, if there's turnover and the people that had the sheets shared are no longer there...

Whatever...startups don't have to worry about that far down the road.

Old 09-26-2018, 05:37 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,250,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
From a data security perspective, I'd hesitate to use any cloud based solution for business purposes.
Correct. Sensitive information is best kept in-house.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:25 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
I use Google Office almost exclusively. I find it easier to collaborate with GO and collaboration is a big part of what I do.

Old 09-26-2018, 10:51 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
The last couple of places I've consulted at have been Google Offices. There's some things I like, but I honestly hate Gmail and their spreadsheet is a joke. I do like how they can be integrated into things like zoom for meetings that seem easier to build smarter offices.

I'm wondering if this is just a Silicon Valley thing or if Google is getting tractions elsewhere?
It is getting traction with people that do not want to pay for Office 365.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:33 AM

1,104 posts, read 919,622 times
Google Office docs? Have I been living under a rock? Never heard of it. Like most people, the security implications for cloud-based software are unappealing, and Google Office doesn't have a strong enough reputation here. Maybe soon it will though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Microsoft Office is for weak CTOs and non-technical environments too scared to go with Open Office, which is free.
Finally - someone else who is pro-Open Office, I recommend this software too. Why don't companies want to save money on licence fees?

Old 09-26-2018, 11:36 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
It is getting traction with people that do not want to pay for Office 365.
Its free for you but it really isn't free. They have no responsibility with your data because you don't own it. All Google apps and services are free to use provided they give you no warranty and no data protection nor privacy. They can use the data to sell to anyone who wants the data including the government. It might sound like no big deal but don't complain about all the robocalls, spam, targeted ads you get. If there is a criminal complaint and investigation against you then Google will hand over your data without your authorization.

if your account is compromised they have no warranty or committment to restore your services or data.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:38 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Its free for you but it really isn't free. They have no responsibility with your data because you don't own it. All Google apps and services are free to use provided they give you no warranty and no data protection nor privacy. They can use the data to sell to anyone who wants the data including the government. It might sound like no big deal but don't complain about all the robocalls, spam, targeted ads you get. If there is a criminal complaint it investigation against you then Google will hand over your data without your authorization.
Exactly.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:47 AM

1,104 posts, read 919,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Its free for you but it really isn't free. They have no responsibility with your data because you don't own it. All Google apps and services are free to use provided they give you no warranty and no data protection nor privacy. They can use the data to sell to anyone who wants the data including the government.
Amen !! +1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment