Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 08:45 PM

173 posts, read 218,601 times

Advertisements

I currently work from home a couple of days per week and it's been absolutely amazing. I get just as much accomplished—if not more—from home and I'm comfortable and always in a good mood. I video conference into all meetings so I don't miss anything. All in all, it's the best employment situation I've had in years.

My dilemma is my spouse and I are moving closer to the area where we work so my spouse doesn't have as long of a commute. I'm really worried if my boss knows I'll be living close to the office, he won't be as understanding of me working from home a couple of times per week. Is my fear legit or do you think it doesn't really matter in this day and age? If it does matter, the only thing I can do is not make it known that I moved. I think that could become awkward though as we all generally talk about where we live ("hey, how much snow did you get up there last night?" or "how was the traffic down your way this morning?")

I know this is a first world problem, but working from home a couple of times per week has really enhanced my quality of life quite a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 11:15 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
If it does come up (why would your move come up? Prepare for the quiz by listening to the traffic/weather reports ) justify your home work days just as you did here. It's not about the distance, it's about the productivity which translates into a benefit to them.

Old 04-20-2018, 05:33 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Telecommute is about more than just avoiding the commute for you. Even if you live close to your employer, in many cases, employees are more productive at home when they aren’t distracted by coworkers. I know in my office, we’re to the point of hiring new people and almost all the space is taken. However, probably about 75% of the office telecommutes 3 days a week or more, so they can share their space with someone else who comes in on other days. Everyone has laptops, so new people who don’t telecommute can just go to a space that is available if there is no office that is fully open 5 days a week. This saves tons of money over having to rent out an entirely new space with more offices. There are some offices in my unit that have telecommute 4 days a week because they have so many people in such a small space.

Old 04-20-2018, 06:08 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times
Have you already brought up your impending move to your boss and/or any co-workers? If not, why say anything? There is no need for them to know that information and no need for you to volunteer it to anyone other than payroll/HR.

Old 04-20-2018, 06:27 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,696,461 times
You'd be right to say nothing, but some managers simply like to say they are in control. If your teleworking was based on your distance to the office and now that distance is within a reasonable distance, the manager could expect you work in the office now.

If your teleworking was based, at least in part, on resource limitations within the office - you'd have a better case to continue to work from home.

I had a family member in this exact same scenario. He lived about 200 miles from the office. He wound up moving closer to the office for non-work-related reasons. Eventually his manager asked him to work in the office.

Old 04-20-2018, 06:32 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,915,239 times
Talk to your Boss. This is going to be 100% up to your company's culture, your Boss's tolerance for those things, etc.

The only thing I personally feel strongly about is showing up to meetings in person if possible. If I were your boss I wouldn't care if you work from home, but I would want you on site for meetings. A lot is lost not being face to face for most meetings, IMO

Old 04-20-2018, 06:39 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
You will probably have to change your address as part of regular paperwork about where to mail W-2 and such. Your manager may or may not find out about that, but I would bring it up.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:39 AM

407 posts, read 369,918 times
When you requested to work from home a couple of days a week, was one of your reasons a long commute? Even if the answer is yes, I'm not sure moving closer would necessarily impact you.

It sounds like you're getting your work done while at home and I assume your manager can see this. Unless he/she has mentioned concerns or issues with you working at home, I would think they'd still let it continue regardless of how close you live.

As for telling your manager - I don't know that I would *specifically* tell my manager; chances are it will come up at some point or another when you need to take some time off to sign closing papers, pack or move. Or as Serious Conversation mentioned, you'll be updating your address with the company. And, once it's known, I'd plan to just continue your work schedule as is unless your manager says something about it. In other words, I wouldn't make it an issue unless your manager does.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:51 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,696,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAviaCA View Post
When you requested to work from home a couple of days a week, was one of your reasons a long commute? Even if the answer is yes, I'm not sure moving closer would necessarily impact you.
I'd contend that if the reason for telework was a long commute, and the company agreed to it, then when you no longer have a long commute, you'd be expected to report to the office.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:54 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,114,048 times
i would be more inclined to mention it to my boss, otherwise you're being underhand and untrustworthy should he/she ever find out in the future; and then you might have some explaining to do.

Another consideration is how your work colleagues will feel knowing you've been working from home even though you will effectively be living just down the road from where you work. It might even cause resentment if some staff don't have that privilege of WfH.

At the end of the day, the decision whether to tell your boss or not is up to you. But we're talking honesty and trust here, and not saying anything might not go down too well, to the point where the boss could exact revenge by ending your WfH privileges purely out of spite!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment