Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 10:02 AM

4,950 posts, read 2,706,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
My employer has been firing all the remote employees over the last couple of years. Not sure I would recommend it as safe. Some were offered the option to come to an office, some were just cut.
That is the current trend that I am seeing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 10:18 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,660,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divagotstyle07 View Post
Remote workers who make $80k/year and above-
What is your title and what do you like about your job??

Give me a run down.

I am also very interested to hear from those in B2B sales and project management/ construction/ engineering or a technical field
My title is "Solutions Architect" for an enterprise software company, which is sort of a pre-sales engineer.

I think I like pretty much everything about my job! I set my own hours, my boss is there to support me but not micromanage me, we have a terrific product, and the customers we support are doing important things.

Old 04-20-2018, 03:53 PM

16,541 posts, read 19,672,308 times
My wife does. Mortgage Underwriting Manager. All her employees work remote, too.
I don't see remote workers getting fired. On the contrary, they are hiring like mad.

Old 04-20-2018, 04:42 PM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
Even the government is making many employees telework for a couple of days a week now. They are only looking at ways to expand this. Its a win win for employees as long as no one abuses it.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:46 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,141,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I think remote work is for the first time practical and very viable. And I think this is the first generation of workforce that can work remotely. Unfortunately old attitudes from management have to die, and employees have to also learn how not to abuse remote jobs. There are going to be some growing pains, but I do think that this is where the workforce is going sooner or later.
It has to be where it is going, at least in IT. I don't know a thing about other industries. Not sure the future trends of, say, hi rez video, but if everyone had hi rez 3d cameras for dirt-cheap, with massive monitors, that would remove a lot of the stigma. I'll assume that bandwidth goes up, cost of tech goes down, quality of all that continues to go up. It's always been that way.

Cameras on laptops in 2018 are "pretty good", I have a couple 34" monitors I bought myself then wrote off as business expenses, recovering some of the cost. Ten years ago, not as good. Ten years from now, way better. 4k or beyond rez. Bandwidth, better. I have stellar bandwidth at the house, with rare hiccups. 10 years ago...etc.

All is VoIP, obviously. WebEx and Skype. I like both, WebEx better. Underlying tech is probably Citrix for both. I am never out of touch. Conversation flows, all day. We hit a button and are talking. We hit another and have simple video. Another, we have a group video chat. It's pretty cool. I don't feel cut off.

I don't like this retrograde, 'bring them into the office' crap unless perhaps for a scrum team, even then I'm a bit skeptical though I've run many in-person (usually less than 10 people). I don't mind small, open offices for small-ish teams, personally. It's easier to work from home, but the collaboration of the above is nice, too. Last time I did that day-to-day was 2013, and I did like it.

If some businesses are really bringing them back into an office for some repressive, 19th Century BS reasoning, they aren't dealing well with a modern workforce or managing them well. Being a leader, not a manager, takes courage and effort, thus most do a poor job of it. Or, perhaps many workers are more slacker than I know. I deal with high performance types at companies that hire the best of the best, period end of story. Dealing with slackers is something I don't know about anymore, anyone who would game the system that is, given that in management consulting you must by-definition hustle and are graded on customer sat and how well you are liked by customer (which means both personality and effectiveness). It's pretty ruthless.

Old 04-21-2018, 02:35 AM

88 posts, read 89,619 times
I'm a software developer. Around half the people in my company work remote.

I think software developers or IT are easiest to be remote employees. All we needs is a laptop.

Old 04-21-2018, 09:42 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
My wife does. Mortgage Underwriting Manager. All her employees work remote, too.
I don't see remote workers getting fired. On the contrary, they are hiring like mad.
I agree! More companies are allowing remote workers because it saves them money! Companies that are 100% remote do not need to pay the expenses of having a building location and utilities. It brings more to the bottom line!

Old 04-21-2018, 12:06 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divagotstyle07 View Post
Remote workers who make $80k/year and above-
What is your title and what do you like about your job??

Give me a run down.

I am also very interested to hear from those in B2B sales and project management/ construction/ engineering or a technical field
I worked part-time and made about $60K, so if that was expanded into full-time, it would have been around $100K.

I also wasn't "remote" all the time. I went into the office once or twice a week, and I sometimes had to attend preproposal conferences and the like.

I did proposal preparation and business development work for an engineering company. I am not an engineer, but I worked in the industry all my life and know the language, know about public transit engineering and construction in particular, and know how the public procurement process works. Most of what I needed to do--writing/doc preparation, research, phone calls, etc., could be done at home.

Old 04-21-2018, 01:18 PM

669 posts, read 581,372 times
Outside sales covering two states. The main office is two states away. Rarely need to go to the office. Spend 60 plus nights in hotels. Drive 40,000 miles per year.

STLgaltoo

Old 04-21-2018, 08:37 PM

13,236 posts, read 7,286,273 times
I know a few co-workers who left my company last year to work 100% remote IT network engineering firewalls are big thing right now one guy is on a 4 year project converting 100's of firewalls from Cisco to Paloalto he makes 200k a year. 2nd guy is just doing router and switch engineering he making in the 140's. The first guy is actually an employee of Paloalto networks he has 30 years experience that is why the higher pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment