Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Temp job: great atmosphere, training, feeling lost, learning curve, sense of humor, high expectations

Old 03-26-2008, 05:09 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times

Advertisements

How do you grasp a job asap? I am doing a temp job now for someone going out on leave any day.

The job is extremely detailed and requires more time than I will have to be trained (the person admitted this). I consider myself a smart person but I feel out of my element with all I have to learn.

What do you guys suggest so I can pick up this job ASAP? Even though this is just a temp position, I may eventually get a permanent job there(at another part of the organization) by the end of the summer.

The atmosphere is great, the people nice, and I really want to be successful. My husband suggests I 'not settle' and 'not be lured by the carrot on a stick' and keep looking for a 'permanent job' elsewhere.

I just want to do a successful job but replacing someone who has 5 years experience is going to be tough. It's not easy to step into a job where you are totally floundering.

It's only been a few days and I've tried to grasp some of the concepts of the job but I feel so lost. I feel like the people I have to deal with EXPECT me to be up to scratch NOW and that is worrying me greatly.

Any suggestions about what I can do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 05:30 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,205,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
How do you grasp a job asap? I am doing a temp job now for someone going out on leave any day.

The job is extremely detailed and requires more time than I will have to be trained (the person admitted this). I consider myself a smart person but I feel out of my element with all I have to learn.

What do you guys suggest so I can pick up this job ASAP? Even though this is just a temp position, I may eventually get a permanent job there(at another part of the organization) by the end of the summer.

The atmosphere is great, the people nice, and I really want to be successful. My husband suggests I 'not settle' and 'not be lured by the carrot on a stick' and keep looking for a 'permanent job' elsewhere.

I just want to do a successful job but replacing someone who has 5 years experience is going to be tough. It's not easy to step into a job where you are totally floundering.

It's only been a few days and I've tried to grasp some of the concepts of the job but I feel so lost. I feel like the people I have to deal with EXPECT me to be up to scratch NOW and that is worrying me greatly.

Any suggestions about what I can do?
To begin with, a few days is nothing. You need at least one week to learn the basics of the job, and two to feel comfortable. By the end of this week, you'll be seeing things differently, I have no doubt. Secondly, once the trainer leaves (the person that's going on leave), you will be more comfortable as you will be in charge and you can begin to "shine" without someone's shadow cast over you.

Of course, someone that's been at a position for five years will make things look effortless; believe me, you can do this. As far as worrying, no point in that. Take good notes from your trainer, and most of all, smile, smile, smile, and be friendly with people. Listen more than talk, be cordial and friendly. You will find someone or a few people that will help you out while the trainer is gone and you WILL master the job. People are willing to bend over backwards in helping someone they like vs. someone they don't. My advice is ALWAYS to get people on your side by being friendly with them, helpful, and genuine.

As far as your hubby's advice is concerned, I have no input on that. You have to do what you have to do or want to do. For now, you're getting paid for your work, you might eventually get a permanent job at a company that sounds nice. What else is there? There's no guarantees in life. Sounds like you're doing fine.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:59 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times
I work in technology. Sometimes it is overwhelming and really hard and I doubt my capabitlies. The best thing you can do is realize that no one is perfect, and you are probably better than everyone else (except the person who is on leave). They need you as much as you need them now, and they don't expect you to know everything, they might just be annoyed the person they depended on is gone. You know more than you think you do. Pressuring yourself to be perfect is a recipe for failure. Do your best and it will all come together, dont get hung up on perfection.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:44 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
"It sucks to be new!" I tell myself this over and over when I start a new job so I know what I am feeling is normal and not to run screaming from the building. It's hard to be new. It's overwhelming. I think it takes weeks, sometimes months, to be totally comfortable in a job. Take lots of notes and befriend anyone around you that can help you once your person leaves. ANY new job you get will involve this learning curve. Keep your sense of humor about it. Don't stress. Don't panic. Smile, laugh, focus on what's being told to you. Anything you are learning now will help you at your next job.

The only real problem I see with a new job is if the company had certain expectations of you and your skills and then felt like those skills weren't there and had they been there the learning curve would have been much shorter. Ya know, they thought you would pick it up quicker because you were familiar with the skills needed. Were you qualified for the this job? Did you have the necessary skills? If you're not sure, win them over with personality so they don't start complaining to each other about you. Once that starts, you're doomed. But if they genuinely like you, that will buy you extra time to get up to speed.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:28 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,709,410 times
take it one day at a time...take notes, write the steps down, find out who that person goes to when he/she needs help; most of all, I learned to be personable and if you don't know the answer to something, try your hardest to find the answer and follow through by getting back to the person. I also agree w/your husband that don't settle but still do a good job because you never know where this may take you...Good luck!!!!!

Old 03-27-2008, 04:01 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Thanks for the nice replies.

I am going to go and do my best.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:09 AM

252 posts, read 390,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Thanks for the nice replies.

I am going to go and do my best.
Hang in there dear; You can do it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment