Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 01:49 PM

730 posts, read 2,254,125 times

Advertisements

I suffer from sharing desk space with a SUPER loud talker who loves to take personal calls all day long. When I am on the phone I try my hardest to drown her out-but God did not give me the ability to be as loud as this woman. Her grown children call her at least 3-4 times per day (do they not work) She discusses all kinds of things loudly in front of patients. This includes family fueds,finances, politics, even bragging about how much money she has. Which IMO people who actually have money, don't have to tell you they do!! Rich people rarely sit around bragging about it.

One of her favorite things to do is too run from dept to dept telling everyone how hard she works and how much she has to do.If she stopped complaining it might free up some time to actually accomplish something! If you ask her to help with her overly demanding tasks- she honestly cant come up with anything, the whining is only to seem productive in front of the boss.

The worst part of the loudness is her laugh-she is a heavy smoker and when she laughs (or should I say cackles) it sounds like choking as in respritory distress. Complete with gurgling, mucusy, chest rattle sounds. ALL day-every day. I honestly say prayers of thanks when I have the day to myself. She does not even stop to consider that anyone around her might be annoyed!!

THANKS- I FEEL BETTER NOW!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 03:50 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
I forgot about the fish thing...yeah, it seems to be a universal moron thing to heat up fish/weird food at 7 am (seriously...work with any 'foreigners' and you will have this a lot). One guy my husband used to work with made a HUGE bowl of goat curry every day. (his one meal of the day, apparently).

At my last job we had some guys making fish at 7:30 am...Yeah, really nice to smell as a pregnant person 7:30 am...

Old 03-27-2008, 04:56 PM

b75 Crap I'm not even pregnant & I want to vomit at some of the smells that come from the kitchen. I mean a little consideration goes a long way you know? And no it isn't always someone who is bringing in dishes that are unique to their culture - so I feel like there is even less of an excuse! I mean there are foods that I like to eat which don't smell all that great - guess what I don't bring them to work! yeesh.

I know...maybe their spouse won't allow it in their house or something.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:52 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,463,195 times
Well then what makes them think I want it near me - although judging by the looks of some of them I don't think their spouses are all that picky (God that was just wrong of me to say...feeling guilty)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
b75 Crap I'm not even pregnant & I want to vomit at some of the smells that come from the kitchen. I mean a little consideration goes a long way you know? And no it isn't always someone who is bringing in dishes that are unique to their culture - so I feel like there is even less of an excuse! I mean there are foods that I like to eat which don't smell all that great - guess what I don't bring them to work! yeesh.

I know...maybe their spouse won't allow it in their house or something.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:30 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times
I had to laugh b/c the same thing goes on at my work.....people eating other people's food out of the fridge. I understand if you're hungry, but at least ask first! They even talked about putting cameras in the break room.

The thing that bugs me the most are co-workers who are always running back to higher authority to make themselves look better. (at least trying) They blow it out of proportion when they do it also. "Did you see such and such mess up, they really caused a big problem.....blah,blah,blah" If you saw something happen, it would've been easier to go to your co-worker and say hey, I noticed you did this, just be careful next time. They stir things up in the office and it makes you feel like you're constantly walking on egg shells. Chill out!!!

Old 03-28-2008, 12:54 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,708,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I forgot about the fish thing...yeah, it seems to be a universal moron thing to heat up fish/weird food at 7 am (seriously...work with any 'foreigners' and you will have this a lot). One guy my husband used to work with made a HUGE bowl of goat curry every day. (his one meal of the day, apparently).

At my last job we had some guys making fish at 7:30 am...Yeah, really nice to smell as a pregnant person 7:30 am...

YEs, this reminded me of those people who microwave their shrimp meal and it stinks for days; I just stayed away from the kitchen & ate at my desk.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:16 PM

Here's a good story about 'eating other peoples' food.' I remember reading somewhere that at a certain company there was this guy who would drink up all the milk in his coffee that was in the company fridge, whether he bought it or kicked in $ for it.

One day he drank someone else's milk in his coffee only to find out it was BREAST milk..

LOL...

Oh, another one I hate at work...certain people are friendly to you (particularly if you are new) but then once they 'pump you for your information' and 'spread it around' they aren't interested in being friendly anymore.

And my personal favorite...the few at work who BLATANTLY flout the rules and get away with it because they have dirt on the boss or are 'involved' with the boss...lol..

Old 03-29-2008, 07:26 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,953,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingMunkeyCU View Post
Gah! The cell phones... seriously people. V-I-B-R-A-T-E.

And the guy that talks so loud, you can clearly hear him even when his door is shut.

And the guy with intestinal issues. If you feel the need to fart, go to the BATHROOM or at the very least, make it silent, I don't want to hear you blowing up every 30 seconds. I don't care what problems you have, but if you can't contain yourself, you don't belong in an office environment.

Or your manager constantly canceling meetings with you, and subsequently flooding your email inbox with a thousand 2-word email questions. Seriously, I had to create a special folder...
This had me in tears. Okay - I work from home and so does my husband. We unfortunately share the same office space.

When someone mentioned "breathe" - omg. When he puts his headset on, for some reason he breathes really loud. I've had to leave the room because it drives me insane. And the fish smell - I made the mistake of letting him buy those stupid kippers once. ONCE.

He is the loudest talker ever and the farting thing. Don't even get me started.

We are definitely working on getting ourselves separate office spaces since he just got a job offer yesterday that will keep him working from home. But he will be out and about more so that should help. I can't imagine anything I do that annoys him.....

Old 03-29-2008, 01:23 PM

156 posts, read 609,790 times
Oh, yes, my gosh all of these are so FUNNY! They're all accurate and equally-experienced, too, that's what's "scary" -- because it's the same no matter which state we live in, yikes!

Old 03-29-2008, 03:17 PM

56 posts, read 223,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
People who stop by my office to chit-chat when I'm obviously fake typing on my computer in an effort to appear busy so they keep moving. Take the hint-I DON'T WANT TO GET STUCK IN SOME STUPID CONVERSATION WITH YOU-KEEP MOVING!!!

TOO FUNNY!!!!!! LOVE IT...

At my work there are 9 women- only women- its the backstabbing gossip that bugs me the most. they are friendly to your face but watch out when you're not around. And NOONE or no subject is safe.. it's like its just for fun, ... gotta love a room full of women with low self esteem!

Last edited by Minnesota is cold; 03-29-2008 at 03:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment